“Beyond expectations”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Iowa City, Iowa
“Beyond expectations”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I came to this hotel to celebrate my milestone birthday. When we first got there, we were not happy to find that our room was not yet available and it was past check-in time. Disappointed we walked over to the concierge to find out about what was nearby in terms of bars & restaurants, etc. He was so helpful, even made our dinner reservations for us. He went to check on the status of our room and came back with the key, we were also given a late check-out. Once we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised with a complimentary bottle of wine and a half-dozen chocolate covered strawberries and some other small fancy deserts on a plate wishing me a Happy Birthday. As if that was not enough, there was a lovely handwritten note.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for sharing your lovely experience with us! I am so happy to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us and we look forward to celebrating another birthday with you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel is very nice and comfortable, and if you have a high floor you likely will have a cool view. Unfortunately if you are not booked in a high room there is generally no way to enjoy the spectacular views form the 32nd floor. They used to have a public lounge on top but now it is only for special booked events.
Public transportation is a available but although the old trolley cars are in front of the hotel I would not count on them as a primary means of transportation as they are often crowded and the end of the line is a couple blocks away.
Union Square seems to be a good location for business and department tore shopping.

Room Tip: If you care about a view aim high.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Seattle
Reviewed July 22, 2014

In general, the hotel is nice because it's near the Union Square. So it's very convenient, with easy access to dining, shopping, etc. But the service is not excellent. When I first checked in, I was given a room at the far end of the old wing. I didn't like it, so I went back to the front desk and asked to change room. Then, perhaps because I showed my SPG card this time, I was given a better room at the new wing. When I tried to get online, there was trouble with the local connection. An Asian technician helped me with my computer connection and he refused to take any tips. Overall, my stay at this hotel was fine, but I expected more from such a grand hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank madprofessor
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated Tower guest room! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here a night on our way in to Wine Country and a night on the way out! Although the hotel is in a great location and is nice and clean, there are several things that could be improved!! Pillows were awful and there is no bottle water offered in the room!! For the price for our room and $56 for parking it's crazy that they charge $15 for internet service in the room!! The mini bar is empty, also!! The a/c would go on for seconds at a time and the fan was so loud we ended up turning it off!!
I would not say don't stay here but I think I will stay elsewhere on return trips!!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Decoyqueen
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We greatly appreciate all of the feedback and will share them with the appropriate department heads. We do hope you choose to return and give us the opportunity to better serve you.
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Was there for a conference at a good rate. It's quite large and lines can get long for check in and bellman but overall it worked out well. Took the recommendations to ask for tower room and was on 6th floor which was good but wished I was even higher. Bed and pillows comfortable and room was large. Appreciated the cable channels like HBO and Showtime....not every hotel offers that. Felt very safe with the key system for requesting the elevator. When I showed up at valet entrance, I was on the street and a valet came out to meet me. I asked if he could take my bags from the trunk while I went to return the rental car and he was so friendly and helpful about it. Made it a good beginning and it stayed that way all the way to leaving and having the bellman roll my bag out to the taxi stand with me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I was in town on business and looking forward to getting back to the Westin as my last stay there had been lovely. Having recently achieved SPG Gold status, I thought I was in for something special. I was wrong.

Arrived and checked in through the SPG gold/platinum line. Staff was pleasant and quick and I was off to my room in the landmark building. Big mistake. The room was tiny and smelled like my grandmother's house. It also looked out on....nothing. Literally, it was a brick wall that my window faced. Ouch. Certainly, not SPG Goldworthy and a letdown for sure. So, for the first time ever, I decided to go back down and see if the front could help me out.

Again greeted by a friendly member of the team who assured me that he was putting me in a "much better room" on the third floor. Off I go to my new room. To their credit, it was much bigger with a small sitting area, two queens and a desk. Instead of a brick wall, I now looked out on....a ventilation shaft which faced other rooms. At this point, I really didn't have time to further complain. I had meetings to get to and was stuck. The bathroom in this room was also really tiny. I mean the shower lounge in the Delta SkyClub at JFK was bigger than this....sigh....

I won't go on about the $35 salad I had for lunch that took two phone calls to have cleared, that was just the last straw.

Long story short, I really didn't feel valued at this SPG property and likely won't be back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank PMFRVA
Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and for sharing your feedback with us. I regret to hear that you experienced a few run ins during your time here. Due to the year our hotel was built, the sizes of each room varies. I do hope you choose to return and give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.
New Iberia, Louisiana
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Was less than what was expected
The room didnt have mimi bar or even bottled water. Checking back in for a return visit. Might have just been a bad day for housekeeping!!!
Winderful location great shopping. Going to guve Burbon Steak a try this evening

Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis! I hope you enjoyed your time with us as well as Michael Mina's Bourbon Steak restaurant! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.