“Great stay in the Tower”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #72 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ontario, California
“Great stay in the Tower”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights in the more modern tower section of the hotel. I had a spacious room on the 27th floor with a great view of Union Square and the city. The room was tastefully decorated with an excellent bathroom, very comfortable bed and a decent size desk. The only issue I encountered was the curious absence of accessible electrical outlets in the room. A minor issue, and I would certainly return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for taking the time to write about your stay, along with your feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The Westin St. Francis is conveniently located near the Powell BART station and Union Square. We stayed for three nights, and were upgraded to a King room in the Tower Building, which was a pleasant surprise. The staff at the front desk were very friendly and the check-in process was quick. The room was more comfortable and cleaner than the smaller rooms in the Landmark Building. Wi-Fi was complimentary.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis for your stay in San Francisco! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again very soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We have tried at least 7 hotels in San Francisco but keep coming back to the St Francis. It's getting tired and a bit shabby but the atmosphere is great, the location superb and the staff are excellent - without exception, unfailingly pleasant and helpful. We had a heritage room overlooking Union Square (with a window that opened - a rare treat!) - a great view, but a smallish room with a funny old bathroom. The newer tower rooms are bigger with more upscale bathrooms. On previous trips had decided the Oak room breakfast was more than we needed - there is a diner a block up the hill and a San Francisco institution - Sears Fine Food, I think - in the next block who do a great breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your loyalty to The Westin St. Francis! I am delighted to hear that the location, atmosphere and quality service of our staff is what keeps you returning to stay with us. We do our best to maintain our historic rooms and are very proud of them, as they remind us of how much history the hotel embodies. We hope to welcome you back to see us again very soon.
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Let me start off by saying, I have been to several, several Westins and before my stay at this Westin I had decided to never reserve a Westin room again..... Then I met Luis in front desk, he is unbelievable. He was so kind, patient with me and really made my stay out of this world! He told me about a service where i can earn Pts and gave me a beautiful room! I was celebrating a special day at the Westin and he only added to that! Luis should be a trainer because his service is an example of how to provide exceptional service! Thank you Luis! It is because of your service that I am thinking of returning! Kate and Grace say hello & thanks!

• Stayed February 2014
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and for your kind words about our associate, Luis. It truly is the people who are a part of our team that make the St. Francis what it is. I am so thrilled to hear that Luis was able to change your mind regarding your position on the Westin brand and I will be sure to pass this along to him. We hope to welcome you back to the St. Francis in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a week and I stayed in a standard room which I would not recommend to anyone. The room is small sorry very small and the hotel rooms are very outdated.

You can hear people in the next rooms so I would say stay away from standard rooms. Maybe the next level rooms are bigger and more comfortable.

The check in was very very slow and there is no one to greet you and take your bags up to reception.

The customer service was very poor even my laundry never came on time and I had to call to remind them.

However the hotel is in the perfect location and we had breakfast in a diner Bellini just a few yards away.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Connecttraveller
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis. I regret to hear that your stay was anything but comfortable. As far as the service quality you had experienced, rest assured, that is not the level of service that we pride ourselves on and I will be sure to alert the respective departments. I would, however, like to inform you of our complete guest room renovation that we are currently undergoing in our Tower building. We hope we will have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stay at the Westin every year over New Years. The location is perfect, and the service impeccable. The rooms are not as plush as I would like, but the beds are comfortable, and we always have a Union Square view.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet C
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and The Westin St. Francis. I am thrilled to hear that you have made us a part of your New Year's tradition! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Nice clean rooms and friendly staff (which sometimes feels like a rarity in these large US City hotels). The spa treatments were amazing! I didn't try breakfast (but at $30 you would expect it to be amazing) and instead ventured to a diner a short walk from the hotel. I had a room in the new tower, which has a glass lift, with ok views.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business