“In the heart of San Francisco” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #75 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Montpellier, France
“In the heart of San Francisco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I was delighted with my stay at the Westin St Francis. Absolutely faultless. The staff were extremely helpful and professional. On check-in, although I had paid a reduced rate on booking.com, I explained that I was there for my birthday and was given a room with a Union Square view. In fact it was unavailable on my first night but I changed rooms on the second night for the rest of my week long stay.

The rooms were both huge, an enormous walk-in closet was useful for tidying away my bags. The bathroom was nicely decorated, the beds very comfortable. They were situated in the old building so there is a great sense of history and a lovely buzz as the lobby and bar were constantly full of people meeting up for a drink or bringing kids in to see the Christmas decorations.

The situation could not be better – Union Square with a cable car stop in front and all the department stores across the street.

I had only two gripes – wifi access is available in the lobby free and costs a whopping $15 a day in room which is a ridiculous sum of money – it would have cost me over $100 to remain connected. Also i used the concierge service several times, to find out about cinema times, to book a bus trip to Monterey and to book a shared taxi to the airport. Service was perfect, but my advice is forget about the taxi service – the car arrived late, the driver seemed to know SF even less well than I did as he drove around in circles trying to get to an address a couple of blocks away. Then we got stuck in a traffic jam and with the other people who were flying out to New Zealand we started to panic that we wouldn’t make check in. All regretted that we didn’t find another means of transport to SFO.

I hate to end on a negative note, so I’ll repeat again I loved everything else about this hotel and would love to stay there again if ever i go back to San Francisco.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis as your San Francisco oasis to celebrate your birthday week! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and took full advantage of our services and amenities. Service quality is very important to us here at the St. Francis and I am truly delighted to hear that we have exceeded your expectations. Please come see us again, as we cannot wait to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed in both the old and new wings and loved the insight that we got into the history and personalities that came before us. The location was super convenient and nice to see the action on the square from our room in the old wing and the tip of the bridge from our room in the new wing. What would have been the cream on top was if we did get fussed over by the staff even though it was one of our birthdays and a special trip for us - we did let the folks at the spg booking know. I guess this is an aspect of Asian hospitality we are so used to that we kind of used in hotels of this class.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Location remains the best as trip was mix of business and pleasure. Could walk to conference and conference hotel --- and plenty of great places to meet clients near the hotel. As I recall, used to have to pay to go to the health club and now no longer need to - OK health club, but want to give a plus that one no longer needs to pay. First time I stayed in the Tower section (the newer one). Had high floor for SPG Gold Member and the view was great.

Room Tip: I prefer the Tower section versus the older part of the hotel that has smaller rooms and more limite...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for being a valued Starwood Preferred Gold Member! We truly thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood brand and to the Westin St. Francis. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Westin gym has just recently been renovated and replaced with all new equipment for our guests to enjoy. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again real soon!
El Segundo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

The setting of this hotel – its early 1900s décor mixed with more modern amenities, and its fantastic location – made for a perfect quick weekend vacation for my family. We stayed in the old building that maintained vintage cues, and our room was ideal for us. It was clean, spacious, and the beds comfortable after a busy day's worth of trekking about. Will be back again. I heart SF.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the traditional guest room that you stayed in. We are celebrating our 110th anniversary this year and do capture a sense of beauty and historic charm that we are very proud of! We hope to welcome you back to the Westin St. Francis very soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

The location of this hotel is amazing if you love shopping and walking around very close to China town as well, and a short car drive away from the mission and other fun areas. Its staff is friendly and the hotel is very clean, the hotel rooms are an amazing size and very comfy to stay in. This is a historical hotel with lots of history and everything about it is great for a nice weekend stay in San Fran.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis and for your kind words! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the convenience of our location, as well as the services of our staff and hotel. We hope to welcome you back to see us again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

You cannot fault the location of this place right on Union square and within walking distance to pretty much everything. The rooms are well decorated and of a good standard although the basic room is very small. They have a cool little bar in the lobby and the gym is excellent. I went for a King room (booked on a travel agent website) and when I entered my room I noticed the bed was tiny. After calling reception I was told they would change my room and was moved to a King (no apology). I wonder if they do this to see if they can get away with it or if it was a true mistake - double check you get what you pay for!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Liz H
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin St. Francis! We truly are the perfect location right on Union Square with many different dining and shopping options. Our gym has been newly renovated as well and replaced with new equipment for our guests to enjoy. I am sorry to hear that there was a confusion with the booking of your bed size. I am sure it was an honest mistake as travel agencies are not entirely familiar with our many room types. We hope to see you again very soon!
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

location this hotel is perfect city centre (in front of union square), classic hotel well maintained, easy to catch tram go to fisherman wharf, interior lobby is classic style, the reception staff quiet helpful but concierge staff not helpful, we must take our baggage ourself. bedroom quiet large, comfy, clean n tidy,

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Westin St. Francis! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We are located in a prime San Francisco destination where nearly everything is very accessible. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with our concierge staff, as this is not the level of service we provide. We hope you choose to see us again in the future!