I was delighted with my stay at the Westin St Francis. Absolutely faultless. The staff were extremely helpful and professional. On check-in, although I had paid a reduced rate on booking.com, I explained that I was there for my birthday and was given a room with a Union Square view. In fact it was unavailable on my first night but I changed rooms on the second night for the rest of my week long stay.
The rooms were both huge, an enormous walk-in closet was useful for tidying away my bags. The bathroom was nicely decorated, the beds very comfortable. They were situated in the old building so there is a great sense of history and a lovely buzz as the lobby and bar were constantly full of people meeting up for a drink or bringing kids in to see the Christmas decorations.
The situation could not be better – Union Square with a cable car stop in front and all the department stores across the street.
I had only two gripes – wifi access is available in the lobby free and costs a whopping $15 a day in room which is a ridiculous sum of money – it would have cost me over $100 to remain connected. Also i used the concierge service several times, to find out about cinema times, to book a bus trip to Monterey and to book a shared taxi to the airport. Service was perfect, but my advice is forget about the taxi service – the car arrived late, the driver seemed to know SF even less well than I did as he drove around in circles trying to get to an address a couple of blocks away. Then we got stuck in a traffic jam and with the other people who were flying out to New Zealand we started to panic that we wouldn’t make check in. All regretted that we didn’t find another means of transport to SFO.
I hate to end on a negative note, so I’ll repeat again I loved everything else about this hotel and would love to stay there again if ever i go back to San Francisco.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- More than just a hotel, The Westin St. Francis is a destination where you can unwind and be pampered by attentive, world-class service. As the only hotel located on Union Square, we are celebrated for our historic Magneta Grandfather Clock, a popular gathering place for generations of travelers, as well as our commitment to guest renewal and relaxation. Explore this legendary landmark, which has drawn locals and visitors for more than a century with our distinguished service and through the timeless refrain "Meet me under the clock!" Inside our warm and welcoming San Francisco luxury hotel, marble columns, ornate balconies, and intricate woodwork transport guests back to the elegance of yesteryear. Yet these magnificent appointments are balanced by modern, groundbreaking amenities including the revolutionary Heavenly Bed, our Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program, and employees dedicated to making you feel at home. Book one of our downtown San Francisco hotel rooms and discover the allure of the city's most charismatic and vital setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin St. Francis Hotel San Francisco
- Westin St Francis
- Westin San Francisco
- Westin Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Westin