“Reunion with Westin St. Francis”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #74 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Espoo, Southern Finland, Finland
“Reunion with Westin St. Francis”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Back again. This time four nights at the old tower, 11th floor. Opposite to some reviews, I found the room far end of the corridor big enough for one person. Quiet and clean. Shower renovated and plenty of warm water. WLAN internet access included in my corporate rate, though the wired telephone from pre-historical age. Best valet parking in the city, but it does not come cheap. Major big plus: tasting room for Chateau Montelena: finally I was staying the nights it is open (wed to fri). If you do not have the time to drive up to Calistoga, this brings the northern Napa to you in the heart of San Fran. Thanks!

Room Tip: If you stay at the old historical tower, ask for higher floor and windows towards Union Square. Lowe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis as your destination hotel in San Francisco! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay along with the many amenities that our hotel offers. We hope to see welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,292)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Palm Desert, Ca
Reviewed January 31, 2014

In all honesty the front desk young lady, I believe from Croatia made our trip! I asked her when I checked in if she could put us in a View room as we only come to SF even couple of years. After I mentioned to her I actually worked for Starwood in LA for few years as an executive chef she went out of her way to see a manager to approve the room. What a great service! we have a beautiful room on the 26th floor with the most incredible view of SF and the water. Thank you soooo much for this.
Our entire stay was great. Even after the 49er had lost the game the bartender was still friendly and very professional.
The room are super clean, Bed so comfortable, amenities up to par.
We will return next time

Room Tip: Be nice to your front desk person even if you are tired from your trip!!! They will take good care o...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Westin St. Francis and for your very kind words about our front desk associate! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed her hospitality services as well as your stay with us! We hope to see you again, very soon!
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reviewed January 29, 2014

My most recent experience at the Westin St. Francis was absolutely fantastic. I have stayed twice within the past 2 months as I've been out to San Francisco for business. My first room was very nice, nothing out of the ordinary but very spacious and comfortable. My second room was absolutely palatial - huge room, large bathroom and a private elliptical machine in my room. I didn't request the machine, but was so happy to have it. I was able to use it often during my stay (which I often don't have the time during regular business trips). The room was also very nicely renovated. I highly recommend!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
1 Thank TravelingKate48
Hello, and thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis! I am thrilled to hear you have enjoyed your first visit with us and have chosen to stay with us again. We are very excited about our renovated rooms so far and I am glad you were able to experience it!
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed here one night after getting a great deal via Priceline. The location is generally great but parking can be problematic. I got a better price on parking at the nearby Union Square garage.

The room itself was small but spotless and comfortable; I'm a big fan of Westin's Heavenly Bed. This is a large hotel with lots of guests so there's non-stop activity in the vast lobby area. However, my room was quiet.

Not sure if the rack rate is worthwhile, but less than $100 a night was well worth it.

Staff was okay and largely professional and efficient. With the high volume of guests, I'm sure it's a difficult place to provide consistently exceptional customer service. But it's fine.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for staying with is at the Westin St. Francis. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our hotel with a bonus of a great rate as well! We hope to see you again very soon.
Upland
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I just got back from spending two nights at this hotel and overall it was a good experience. The bed was comfortable, the room was spacious, the staff was friendly, and the hotel is conveniently located. I stayed in the tower building on the 17th floor and outside noise was not an issue unlike some fellow travelers experienced when staying on a lower floor and facing the street.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis. I am very happy to hear that you had a good experience with our hotel. Our signature "Heavenly" bed is quite the stir! We hope to see you again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I was feeling ill the last day of my business trip and had to cancel my last night, the encounter with the front desk manager made sure that i would never go back to this hotel.

Having worked in a hotel front desk and know how it works when booking through travelocity, I know that it was up to the hotel to decide whether or not to refund the night if the guest cancel the last night.

So I had called travelocity and explained my situation. They called the hotel, but told me that the hotel would not agree to cancel the last night without charging, so I had to call the hotel to explain the situation again and ask for an exception.

The Front Desk Manager Andrew kept telling me that it is travelocity who would not refund, and that travelocity is playing the hotel against me trick. Even though we both know that travelocity would refund me the last night if the hotel agrees not to charge, but he kept telling me that there is nothing he can do and I had to call travelocity. I called travelcity again and travelocity called him again. He obviously refused again to allow me to cancel for the last night.

At that point I was furious as he was really simply lying to me that travelocity is playing the hotel against me. Travelocity would refund me if the hotel agrees not to charge travelocity for tonight. Then at this point he said he would do me a favor and cancel the last night with travelocity, but then I had to pay half-day rate to the hotel. Which means that he indeed lied about the hotel has no authority and that it's all travelocity's doing, and that he still wants me to pay half day rate even though I could have checked out earlier had he not put me through this phone game! Not only I missed the earlier flight back, I was on the phone over an hour with travelocity and him!

I was upset at the fact that : 1) as a front desk manager, when you hear a guest is not feeling well, not at once did he offer medical assistance or asked me if I was okay or if anything he could assist. 2) lying directly that the hotel cannot cancel because i paid travelocity and that it's not up to him to agree to the cancellation and refund, but at the end agree to cancel but only in the condition that I pay half-day rate.

This is not to discredit other staff that worked at the Westin, the doorman who carried me luggage into the taxi, saw me not feeling well, wished me a safe trip back home and get better.

6 Thank y1983
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis as your destination hotel in San Francisco for your business trip. I regret to hear about your negative experience. I understand that you must have been frustrated with the situation, as prepaid and third-party booking reservations are often tricky. Third party bookings, such as Travelocity, are non-refundable and non-changeable for the reason that they sell for a much lower rate. I am sorry to hear the situation did not end to your satisfaction but it is nice to hear that you found other aspects of your stay with us pleasant. I truly do hope you choose to return and stay with us again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed here for a quick business trip. The best feature for me was the location, and maybe that's just because it was my first time to San Francisco. The hotel itself has great character, and history from the displays I could see in the lobby. Otherwise, nothing outstanding to note. The room was on the small side, and typical. The Starbucks in the lobby was a lifesaver, and the most expensive venti latte I've ever paid for. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to explore, but was able to wander about several blocks around the hotel which was nice. The city and location itself is great, but if I had to go back I'd pick a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jin C
Thank you for choosing the Westin St. Francis as your destination hotel in San Francisco for your quick business trip. We are a historic property and are very proud to display the beautiful, ornate charm of the hotel. It sounds as though you occupied one of our traditional rooms in the Landmark building. I am pleased to inform you that we are currently in the process of completely renovating all of our guest rooms in the Tower building. We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back in the future to experience one of our newly renovated, more spacious rooms.