“Location, location, location on Union Square”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #75 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore
“Location, location, location on Union Square”
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Very large, impersonal hotel with extraordinary location on Union Square arguably the most pleasant and convenient location for tourist activity in San Francisco. Rooms are very uneven ranging from very small to ample rooms in old wing to standard, reasonably sized rooms in Tower. Ambiance is dated, a grand dame that could use a little TLC and an injection of service oriented staff. Michael Mina Steakhouse is better than typical US hotel restaurant.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jpmsenior
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed our location but disappointed you found the hotel impersonal. We are often praised for our great customer service and I am sorry you did not experience this while staying with us. We are currently in the process of renovated our Tower building. I Hope you choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,272)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed in the tower part of the hotel. It was absolutely freezing (during the recent cold snap). The hallways were at about 50 degrees. It was during the holiday shopping season, so the lobby was jammed with people - and also freezing due to the people coming in and out. The high point was the restaurant (Oak Room) which was easily accessible and not overly crowded. The food in the lobby cafe was nothing to write home about. The beds were comfortable, and the room was outdated but clean. This place is very touristy due to the location, and I would prefer something more out of the way and less public. The valet parking attendants were great, but it can take log time to get your car out. Count on half an hour on weekends or in heavy traffic.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer part of the hotel - not the tower.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Io79032
San Diego, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,409 helpful votes
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights on business while in San Francisco. The location is EXCELLENT right at Union Square. You literally walk out your door and you are in the heart of the action.

The service was really great and everyone was friendly. I had a suite on the Club Floor (23rd floor) and the view was really incredible. (See photos I took).

The room was comfortable along with comfortable bed. The bathroom was spacious with marble throughout. There was a desk to work and I got internet included free as I'm a Platinum guest.

I had room service one day as I didn't have time to go eat as I was in meetings all day and was starving. As typical in San Francisco... room service is quite expensive. I got a Kobe beef hamburger with fries and a coke and it was $40. It was good but ouch...that's pricey for a hamburger.

But other than that I can't complain at all. It was an enjoyable stay and all the other guests that I went to a work conference with all happened to be staying at the same hotel as well. I'd gladly stay there again in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review and photos. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our excellent location. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice now this year.The location can not be beat and the rooms are classic. The hotel is ideal for meeting clients and friends and it right next to the BART station. The tourist sights can be reached easily from here via BART or cable car. I recommend this hotel for first-time visitors for ease of getting acclimated to the city. The staff try to please you.

Room Tip: Better rooms are not in the towers.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The good: Location is truly the most valuable asset of this property and some of the staff is very good and responsive. One of the issues was resolved quickly by one of the hotel managers. A curtain was missing from my room. The housekeeping manager called immediately to remedy the situation. Not only was the issue resolved immediately but I also received an amenity. I was mostly impressed by my concierge, Raymond. Raymond was excellent and he made our trip memorable. He recommended excellent places to visit and helped us get everywhere around the city. He really went above and beyond the call of duty. He's the only reason why I would go back to the hotel.

The bad: The rooms at the tower are very VERY old and need major remodeling. Replacing carpets will not do. You need major construction in order to make the rooms fit in a 'luxury' category. The most important issue I had during my stay was the view of my room. I was on the 23 floor and I was told when I made the reservation that I was going to have direct view to Union Square. I didn’t and when I called to get my room changed, I spoke to Mohamed and he was unable to resolve the issue or assign me to another room, He claimed they were sold out but I saw hundreds checking-in after me. This was unfortunate because I was very specific when I made this reservation that view was very important to me. I had a reservation at Taj Campton Place and cancelled it to stay at Westin. They guaranteed the view and would have honor their commitment unlike Westin. My biggest frustration was mainly that the issue wasn’t solved or even tried to be solved by Mohamed. Being a Starwood Platinum member did not matter.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maria R
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and felt the housekeeping issue was dealt with fast and efficiently. The Grand Deluxe rooms in the Landmark building all have a view of Union Square. In the Tower building, we can not guarantee a Union Square view. I am sorry you were misinformed and that we were unable to move you to a different room. We appreciate your feedback and your loyalty as a Starwood Platinum member. We have just started our Tower renovation project. We expect to finish by March of next year. I hope you choose to stay with us again.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I've stayed here at least 5 times over the last year + while traveling for work. When I stay in the city, this is often my choice given the rates and convenience - I know that I can easily catch my company's shuttle to the Peninsula, or get to CalTrain or BART.

I've always stayed in the historic section of the hotel, so my comments are confined to that. I've always found the rooms to have great ceilings, good furnishing, and to be clean. While old, the furnishings haven't seemed run down. (Occasionally the carpet's a bit worn for a luxe property.)

The rooms that are either on Union Square or near an elevator bank can be loud with their respective ambient noises. If the room is an adjoining room, please note that noise-wise, you might as well be in the same room. (I've heard some, um, interesting things.)

While they're appreciably smaller, for the noise reason, I've come to love the tiny Queen-sized rooms. Perfect for my need of a comfy bed, shower and maybe a desk. I'm really not in the room for anything more than to sleep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CAHoya
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel is classic San Francisco, it sits in the hub of union square with all the shops and restaurants San Francisco is famous for. Cable car stop right outside straight to fisherman's wharf. Service and in house dinning is unparalleled with bars and five star chef Michael minna.

Room Tip: I chose the old tower with a view of the square.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you truly enjoyed your stay and your time in San Francisco. I hope you stay with us again on your next visit.