“Great Property - Great Location!”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #71 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Great Property - Great Location!”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here on a SPG points stay. Convenient to my meeting and all shopping. However, upgrade wasn't available because of the Dreamforce conference and there's no lounge.
But overall great hotel and in pretty good condition.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you your loyalty as a SPG member. I apologize we were not able to accommodate an upgrade during this stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Redwood City, California
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Took an annual trip to Westin St Francis for a dinner meeting. Traffic from Kearney to the hotel was slow, worse was the snail-like check-in service. Three clerks for a seemingly sold-out hotel at 4:00 pm. The line for arrivals was at least 15 deep and our check-in with reservations took nearly 15 minutes. Our room was on the Post St side of the tower. Very spacious and the curved curtains added to the comfortable feeling of the room.
The bathroom was dark. My wife had a hard time seeing to put on her makeup. Our group sent an amenity that was left on the bed. No thought of replacing the wet towels or leaving a light on.
Our dinner on the 32nd floor was excellent. A great location for seeing San Francisco. The bartender was friendly and the dinner servers hustled to attempt to serve the group in a timely manner. Kudos to the banquet manager.
Getting out of the hotel was again a challenge. It took a long time for our car to arrive even after calling from the room.
As nice as it is to wander back to the room dinner and dancing we might drive home next year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1GiantsMS
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 17, 2013

After living in San Francisco for more than a decade I must admit it's actually sort of fun to come back and stay in some of the hotels I always wondered about when I lived here. The Westin St Francis has so much going for it - location, character, restaurants. I thought a Deluxe Tower room here would be a luxurious treat for a recent business trip, with inspired views of the city. I booked a stay via SPG.com and was looking forward to my stay here.

I arrived at the hotel and was greeted with a cold reception at the door (actually, with no reception at all). The receptionist was unable to locate my reservation even with the confirmation number, which I booked directly via Starwood, so it took her some time to recreate the reservation using my rate. She was not rude but was not exactly warm either and even suggested I had booked the wrong date or had accidentally cancelled my reservation. Nevertheless, she got the issue fixed.

The first room she assigned turned out to have maintenance crews in it painting or doing some repairs when I arrived and I was told to go back to the front desk. After returning to the lobby, waiting in line again (she did recognize me but did not make any effort to pull me out of line to inquire what was wrong) I was assigned a room on a slightly higher floor. That particular room turned out to have no Union Square view at all. Oh well.

Overall I found the service at the property very cold and unwelcoming. I witnessed some condescending attitude toward a couple of other guests at the front desk while I was checking in which did not impress me.

I am a Starwood Gold and spend a fair amount of time (not to mention $$) with Starwood properties and generally find them to be of good quality. This particular property, even in the tower rooms, everything feels very dated and in need of an overhaul. Especially the service.

To say I was disappointed with my stay would be an understatement. I will certainly not return to this particular Starwood property in the future. There are other better options in San Francisco for your money. This one is just mediocre.

5 Thank SFO-World-Traveller
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your loyalty to Starwood. We appreciate your feedback. I am extremely disappointed to hear your experience. To hear you felt unwelcome and were checked into a room that was not ready is unacceptable. Management is looking into exactly what happened. Please accept our sincerest apologizes. I hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was amazing, we were greeted by a very nice helpful man on reception, he gave us a couple of free cable car tickets, we were on the 29th floor and had amazing views from our room, it was very clean and very comfy, I would highly recommend this hotel, the location is great, the only negative I have is you have to pay for wifi which in my opinion should be free when you pay the price to stay here.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank anne elizabeth h
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in an excellent location,right on Union Square. Its very easy to get right around the city from this point.
The staff in the hotel were all very helpful and friendly. We asked to change rooms after one night due to a very noisy drummer outside on Geary Street and a different room was found for us without any fuss or bother.
The rooms were quite small and a bit dated but the beds were very,very comfortable. The bath however was tiny! Taking a bath wasn't the most relaxing experience due to me having to sit bolt upright. There was no room to recline a little as the tub was short and shallow.
One of the best things about this hotel is the spa. I had an amazing massage. I felt so relaxed and almost fell asleep. Id go back to this hotel for the massage alone!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Excelsior, Minnesota
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We wouldn't have stayed here except that my husband was already booked here for a conference. We came 2 days early and didn't want to switch hotels. On the plus side - the location is central to shopping and cable car. The room was old and small and the walls were paper thin. We could hear every flush, shower and hand wash our neighbors did. The bathroom was also small with no countertop. Overhead lighting was bad in the room and the decorating was sterile and tired. It's the details that make a hotel experience excellent. You won't find them here.

2 Thank mamat122963
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location but disappointed we did not exceed your expectations. We aim to provide a relaxing environment for our guests and I am sorry you experienced noise issues. We are always looking into ways to improve and do hope you choose to stay with us again.
UK
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I travel a lot on business to San Francisco and usually stay somewhere else. I find no reason to change that based on this experience. Good points - location - excellent - bang on Union Square. Reception staff - were very good - polite - noticed I had a smaller room on arrival and offered to change it to a bigger one. Restaurant - excellent steak.

Points that lead to my first statement - this hotel is seriously old - it looks like it hasnt been updated (apart from the addition of slow expensive wi-fi) for decades. I stayed in the old part - I wish I had known there was a new part as the old part is really creepy. It gives you a hollow feeling inside as you enter your room. Very high ceiling - multiple doors to closet and bathroom, lighting rather stark and not welcoming, carpet seriously old - not particularly clean and I trod on a pin which was planted in it from someones shirt purchase at some point. The main problem I had was in the bathroom, there was hair in the bath, the side of the bath was dirty, the shower stem had a hair attached to it, the sink had hair behind the taps and in the corner of the washbasin, the floor had hair on it in the corner. The shelf in the bathroom was dusty. It simply did not feel clean and I hated it. The room was noisy due to lack of soundproofing from the outside world and from the inside world of the hotel - the morning assault of the cleaners and other staff trying to get in through my locked door was really damn annoying. The heating system was a blower that had only one setting apart from off - full force jet engine strength and noise. I dont know what rating this hotel has but I really dont think that it deserves a good official one. I see that people have stated that this is a historic hotel etc - however its simply dated - outdated and probably the most profitable place in San Francisco - for the owners. My stay averaged at $333 a night incl taxes, the restaurant for 3 without wine was $300 in addition for 2 courses and water. The place felt creepy - like it could easily have had a ghost of a 40's mobster within the walls and did not eminate a good feeling at all. I really did not like staying here and will not stay here again until I hear it has been totally revamped. To be presented with a $1000 bill after 2 days here to me seems really unbelievable. Locals I know in SF were all wondering why I stayed here - they all knew it wasnt good. The only saving grace was the reception staff otherwise I would have rated this terrible. It is terrible value for money - if you are planning to spend your own money here - don't. If you have kids - dont stay here. If you like nostalgia, dust and have more money than sense - this is the place for you. Oh and by the way - the bellguy and the doorman - please dont swear at each other in front of guests (Union Square side - around 2 pm today) - it really isnt becoming especially when one of your former guests is trying to ask you to get them a cab - it sets a poor tone - but compliments the overall experience.

Room Tip: At a minimum ask if there is a new room. Best tip try a different hotel