“Perfect Place to Stay in San Francisco!!!!!”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #70 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I just have to say, I stayed here 11/2/13 in room 3087 and it was one of the best experiences my wife & i had in our many travels. Thank you for the awesome anniversary surprise that was in the room when we arrived. I just need say that from the lady (i cant remember her name) who greats you at the line to check-in, the front desk people, the bellmen were the most polite, kind, thoughtful and helpful to make our stay the best ever. This is a first class operation from the bottom people and surely through upper management. I can't say enough but thank you for the great room with an awesome view and a wonderful experience on Nov. 2nd. I'm a huge fan of this hotel in San Francisco and this is my choice without a second thought. Thank you again and please forward this on to upper management & your training department because you hit a homerun with me on this stay. Thanks Again, Mike.....

Room Tip: I asked for the highest room possible and was given 3087 which is just around the corner from the el...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Get a room on a higher floor if possible. If you can score that, your view will be amazing. The elevator bank has a confusing keycard system that stumps everyone at first and everyone over 50 in perpetuity.
Conveniently located near the BART.
The lobby is a total scene - from the tech inspired decor and well dressed old school SF elite to the 1%'er Europeans on family vacations. Great for people watching.
As with other Westins, the gym is terrible. You can tell that they spent a huge amount of money trying to make it nice, but it's simply a dark cramped hole where guests trip over each other and fancy machines trying to get a work out.
Bottom line- if you have the means, stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We apologize you had difficulty with the elevators. We will focus on explaining our elevator system better upon check in. Again, thank you for staying with us. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here earlier this year with my family for 3 nights. We absolutely loved it! The staff is really friendly and goes to ensure that your trip is a great one. The rooms are spacious and clean. The property is so convenient; the trains are just a few blocks away and Union Square is a great place for shopping, dining, and people-watching. I also received complimentary macaroons and a note from the Marketing team at the hotel welcoming me to the Westin St. Francis and San Francisco. I was really surprised and touched by the gesture. The hotel is beautiful on the outside. I love historic-looking buildings, and there was plenty of history inside as well. The enormous lobby contains a few items from the early twentieth century, such as an old cookbook. It was really cool checking it out. I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in SF.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Rooms could be a bit cleaner (well maybe it's because I saw stains on the starbucks coffee/tea bags - looked like BLOOD stains?!). Service was good and location great. Would probably not stay here again given the options in SF but would recommend if you are looking for a good location visiting SF for the first time or to be close to the shopping….

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ProudCanadianTravell

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I am happy to hear you found our service good and location great. I am sorry you experienced an issue with housekeeping. This will be looked into. I hope you have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed recently for a work conference and whilst as a non US citizen i find it amazing the number of taxes that add onto the "room cost" I found the hotel to be a great place to stay. amazing comfortable bed and while my room was facing inwards, i preferred this as it was nice and quiet. The hotel had a great relaxed feel to it whilst being immaculately presented. Bathrooms were modern but not overly, fitting in with the overall decor and even though i chose the eco option meanin gi gave up housekeeping whilst i was there, my room was still serviced 3 times in a week which was nice.
The Oak Room had a good breakfast and i loved the gym which was very well equipped for a good work out.
Location, perfect. Right on Powell on the cable car line and opposite Union Square, walking distance to everything (including the wharves if you are ok with the hills, took about 30 minutes of casula walk). Great restaurants in the area, including the Bourbon Steak in the hotel.
All up a great place and would stay here again next time around.

Room Tip: If you want more quiet with less view, ask for an inward facing room away from the cable car lines.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The St. Francis was once the place to stay in downtown SF, maybe it is being run down by Westin. The lobby and in-house restaurant we thought was very good with nice staff. Our room was very under-kept for the (discounted for meeting) $250/night price. Upholstery on chaise was tattered, faded and stained. Windows howled like an overflying jet one night when the wind was up, not helped by cramming paper in the cracks. This also caused quite a draft which the heating was able to overcome, but not very green for a corporation that purports to be. By the same token, the elevators (which are cool, they look out over the city and bay, Coit Tower) are the coldest I've ever experienced, there are drafts in each starting at the lobby! If you have a meeting there I would certainly stay there (it is in the middle of everything), but if for pleasure alone there are several places within a few blocks which are much better.

Room Tip: I chose Towers instead of Landmark room, because usually those landmark rooms are smaller with thinn...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location but disappointed you were not satisfied with your room. We understand your concerns. I hope you choose to stay with us again next time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

It was the first time my husband and I had been in San Francisco and we chose the Westin because of its location on Union Square and the reviews on TA. This hotel didn't disappoint. It is a old beautiful hotel that is maintained very well. We had a early flight to SF leaving Boston at 6am and we were dead tired when we arrived at 10:45am to the hotel. We figured we would have to get a bite to eat and then check in later in the afternoon, but to our surprise the room was ready! Thank GOD! We got to our room and it was spacious and clean. We didn't have much of a view but it was adequate for what we paid (still around $300) for a king. The location of the hotel is wonderful! It was the world cup week and we were very close to the action. Tons of shopping, great restaurants, and CHINATOWN! haha. We had so much fun! I think when we return to SF there is no doubt that we will stay at the Westin!

Room Tip: Rooms without a view a pretty dark. I would pay a little extra for a room with a view next time.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple