“Sadly, very disappointed”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #74 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Pros: comfortable bed, friendly staff, nice wide hallways and great location.

Cons: For over $400 a night, the $5 "Green" coupon program is ludicrous. It amounted to their way of trying to say they are environmentally conscious. Their "green" program means:
1. They don't clean your room
2. They don't empty your garbage
3. They don't make your bed
4. They don't replenish your in-room coffee or cups so you only receive it on your first night.
( another note, they shorted us on our first night)
5. They don't change your linens or towels - this one I'm okay with as I do believe in doing as
much as I can for our environment.
So for our 2 night stay, we received one $5 coupon. I think this is their creative way of cutting back on their housekeeping staff and increasing their profits at my expense.

The $400+ a night stay did not include Internet nor breakfast. Plain coffee is $5.95 in their restaurant and the Internet is almost $30.00. So that $5.00 coupon did even buy a cup of coffee.
This price also did not include a view, so for your dollar, this is not a good choice nor good representation of what you can find in San Fran.
Also, if you have any health issue, take note that the hallways smell very musty.

I would not ever return, I visit the city a fair amount and don't mind paying for value but found no value to this property.

Room Tip: Great location but there are plenty of good Hotels in this location so keep looking
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynn D
Write a ReviewReviews (5,767)

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was excited to learn that a centrally located hotel in SF's Union Square was a Westin, because I am a Starwood Preferred Member. I got a good rate as a member and checked in without any hassles on our family vacation. The valet scratched our rental car the first day he parked in in their garage. I found out that the hotel was at capacity and I as a Starwood Preferred Member would not get a room on one of their top floors, which I was quite disappointed at. Our room was decent enough, although the vent in the room had a filter that looked like it wasn't changed in more than a year, making our allergies hellish when the fan was on.
In exchange for 500 Starwood points per night (we stayed 3 nights), we opted for the Green Choice (declining housekeeping), but when we learned that this meant no delivery of coffee for the next morning, I promptly cancelled. The front desk apparently did not get this message, because the first day we returned from our touring to the room, the beds were not made. When I called housekeeping, they came & gave us service, but on the second day we returned quite late - nothing was done in the room. The hotel sent over housekeeping, who gave us way too many towels and cups for the coffee, but did not leave us any sugar, or stirrers. Not sure I'd stay here again - at $265/night (plus taxes), it definitely isn't up to Westin standards, and with so many other hotel choices in the area, for that price you may get better standards elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed in the new tower. I heard from others in the lobby that the old tower rooms were old - at...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your Starwood loyalty. We appreciate your business and feedback. I am sorry to hear about the issues with the garage and housekeeping. For future reference, although the Make a Green Choice sign is essentially like a Do Not Disturb sign, you may request extra coffee and towels as you wish. I hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The St Francis is always my go to hotel when staying at Union Square. I always check their rates first before looking at any other hotels. I love the location and the ease of just being right there. You can walk everywhere. We stayed in December and they always have great weekend rates then. We went up to do a little Holiday shopping and have dinner. We used to do this every December when our kids were small and decided to do it again now that they are older. We had 2 adjoining rooms. The rooms were very spacious and extremely clean. the staff was very friendly and the hotel is always decked out at Christmas.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Prbg
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for deciding to write a review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during the holiday season. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back this year.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The WSF is in a great location on Union Sq. with close proximity to shopping, dining and SF's attractions.

We were upgraded to a beautiful 2 room suite in the tower- thanks Cora!

In room dining was efficient and very good quality.

Would recommend for business and personal travel.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are a bit fresher.
1  Thank JoeandJan
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Westin Saint Francis is well located at Union Square , with a lot of restaurants and shops around .

I have always liked the Westin chain of Hotels this was no exception .

Bell Desk was very helpful with baggage and taxi arrangements

The Concierge efficiently handled our bookings for tours and guided us how to get around the city

The Front desk was very friendly and efficient

We had sent one of our bags from New York by Fedex ahead of us , this was handled well and kept safely for our arrival

They have a nice open cafe opposite the reception area , good to sit while you wait and also serves refreshments

Well equipped rooms

Next time i am in SF , i would stay here again

1  Thank SingaporeNRI

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to hear you found so many different departments friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Don't expect any stylish decor in the lobby. It's like an airport gate area with intrusive saxophone music. They did not have the booked room available upon checkin and we needed to wait for a while at 11pm. Housekeeping removed the wine glasses and didn't replace them. Room was clean and large. Overall pricey; No free Wifi.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for writing a review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location and found your room clean and spacious. I apologize for the issues at check in and with the wine glasses. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I have to say that I amazed by the customer service this hotel gas provided .
I wrote a review a on jan 2nd about this hotel and I expressed my dissatisfaction about my stay!
I actually heard back from the general manager of the hotel and he was a concern about me Andy family . He was very apologetic about the whole situation and told me that he actually looked in the room that I stayed and the upgrades he has made to the room to make sure no one else would have a bad experience .
He also told me how he put a
Management team together to make sure they have enough roll away bed a head of times for all the guest who request one.
This showed to me that some managers actually care. That's very important to me and that showed they actually care about me and they hear us. Thats 5 star to me.
Thank you.