The Westin St Francis Hotel is a monument to San Francisco history. It survived the Great Earthquake of 1906, and is truly a monument to this city.
My wife & I were staying here to attend a conference. We chose this admittedly mainly because of the pre-eminent name of the St Francis in the history of SF.
But what is it like as a hotel? Well, we had a very smooth time here indeed. We were here on a mission (the conference); and the sign of a great hotel is that it will smooth out the minor but annoying and cumulative bumps of travel so you can concentrate on your main mission.
Check-in went smoothly, and we were at our room in no time. Unfortunately the room (on the 3rd floor) was directly opposite some rather rumbunctuous percussive buskers who showed no sign of letting up (although apparently they are mandated by the City to stop at 10pm); we asked to be moved elsewhere, and were promptly re-located to a very comfortable and much quieter spot on the 11th floor.
Through some electronic miracle, the minibar charges to your account as soon as you remove an item from the fridge. This was a bit disconcerting, as we just wanted a place to store the fixings for sandwiches. But no problem for the hotel - they installed another fridge!
The atmosphere in the hotel is truly something to soak up. We wandered the halls, sneaked a peek at the door of the room where Al Jolson died, and took afternoon tea in the bar off the foyer.
Staff were universally polite, friendly and helpful. The house staff seemed to have a 6th sense as to when was the best time to service the room, despite our departures and arrivals at odd random times.
The Hotel is, in its downtown location opposite Union Square, in a great spot. The big stores surrounding Union Square are minutes away. The Powell Street BART and MUNI stations are just 3 blocks to the south. The Powell Street cable car passes the front door (although it was always packed when I saw it pass by). Taxis are on tap to whisk you to any part of the city.
As you are right in the middle of downtown, there are plenty of other interesting places to eat (with due respect to the hotel - of itself an interesting spot to eat). There is also a supermarket 1 block away - good for basic groceries and breakfast ingredients, as well as pharmacy lines.
We had no car so I cannot comment on the parking arrangements.
All in all - we would certainly stay there again! A comfy room, an attentive staff, and a great location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- More than just a hotel, The Westin St. Francis is a destination where you can unwind and be pampered by attentive, world-class service. As the only hotel located on Union Square, we are celebrated for our historic Magneta Grandfather Clock, a popular gathering place for generations of travelers, as well as our commitment to guest renewal and relaxation. Explore this legendary landmark, which has drawn locals and visitors for more than a century with our distinguished service and through the timeless refrain "Meet me under the clock!" Inside our warm and welcoming San Francisco luxury hotel, marble columns, ornate balconies, and intricate woodwork transport guests back to the elegance of yesteryear. Yet these magnificent appointments are balanced by modern, groundbreaking amenities including the revolutionary Heavenly Bed, our Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program, and employees dedicated to making you feel at home. Book one of our downtown San Francisco hotel rooms and discover the allure of the city's most charismatic and vital setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Starwood, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin St. Francis Hotel San Francisco
- Westin St Francis
- Westin San Francisco
- Westin Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Westin