“All the ingredients add up to a memorable stay”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #68 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, Australia
“All the ingredients add up to a memorable stay”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Westin St Francis Hotel is a monument to San Francisco history. It survived the Great Earthquake of 1906, and is truly a monument to this city.

My wife & I were staying here to attend a conference. We chose this admittedly mainly because of the pre-eminent name of the St Francis in the history of SF.

But what is it like as a hotel? Well, we had a very smooth time here indeed. We were here on a mission (the conference); and the sign of a great hotel is that it will smooth out the minor but annoying and cumulative bumps of travel so you can concentrate on your main mission.

Check-in went smoothly, and we were at our room in no time. Unfortunately the room (on the 3rd floor) was directly opposite some rather rumbunctuous percussive buskers who showed no sign of letting up (although apparently they are mandated by the City to stop at 10pm); we asked to be moved elsewhere, and were promptly re-located to a very comfortable and much quieter spot on the 11th floor.

Through some electronic miracle, the minibar charges to your account as soon as you remove an item from the fridge. This was a bit disconcerting, as we just wanted a place to store the fixings for sandwiches. But no problem for the hotel - they installed another fridge!

The atmosphere in the hotel is truly something to soak up. We wandered the halls, sneaked a peek at the door of the room where Al Jolson died, and took afternoon tea in the bar off the foyer.

Staff were universally polite, friendly and helpful. The house staff seemed to have a 6th sense as to when was the best time to service the room, despite our departures and arrivals at odd random times.

The Hotel is, in its downtown location opposite Union Square, in a great spot. The big stores surrounding Union Square are minutes away. The Powell Street BART and MUNI stations are just 3 blocks to the south. The Powell Street cable car passes the front door (although it was always packed when I saw it pass by). Taxis are on tap to whisk you to any part of the city.

As you are right in the middle of downtown, there are plenty of other interesting places to eat (with due respect to the hotel - of itself an interesting spot to eat). There is also a supermarket 1 block away - good for basic groceries and breakfast ingredients, as well as pharmacy lines.

We had no car so I cannot comment on the parking arrangements.

All in all - we would certainly stay there again! A comfy room, an attentive staff, and a great location.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher-up room to avoid the racket of the buskers on the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank lysurgis23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

My first room has amazing panoramic views but the Murphy bed was extremely uncomfortable so I switched rooms. The heavenly bed in the second room was perfect although my view wasn't. The location is perfect for shopping, exploring and people watching in the plaza. The hotel character is reflexive of a beautiful era long gone. I appreciated all the opulence and details everywhere. The hotel restaurant was excellent for breakfast and lunch.

• Stayed May 2013
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here with my company for our annual sales conference and man, what a great hotel! The service was exceptional and the location of the hotel is perfect. It is within walking distance to shopping and restaraunts. The hotel is very clean and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed for one night and enjoyed our stay at the Westin. It is in a good location, walking distance to a lot of good restaurants and shopping. The room was very comfortable and the hotel has a fun atomsphere. The reception area has a starbucks kiosk and pastries/light breakfast in the morning. Plenty of room to sit and enjoy a morning coffee.

We should have had breakfast there - instead we went to the restaurant which was overpriced and the food was below average. The breakfast buffet is measly - very few options compared to the standard buffet at a good hotel. We ordered off of the menu and the food was very average.

There is a car rental station in the hotel which is very convenient - we were a large group and rented cars to go to Sonoma. It was perfect!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear you enjoyed your room and the hotel's atmosphere. I am sorry you did not enjoy the buffet breakfast as much. I hope you choose to stay with us again.
New Jersey
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel is really nice, but I can't say it was amazing. Location is good, staff was good. As a Starwood-affiliated hotel, it met my expectation. If you are going for business, or just a few nights b/c you'll be touring the city, it'll work just fine! If you want more of a hotel experience, then maybe look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bethany Beach, Delaware
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Want to love this place as it is in the perfect location. However, after staying many times over the years, I realize just how how horrible it is vs the rest of the global Westins. I didn't get my room made, yes, I left late (around lunch time) and didn't come back until midnight ... but no turn down service??! As a Platinum member I'm use to the perks, but $400 per night and you want to charge me an extra $20 for the buffet for my free platinum amenity breakfast?? And $55 parking?!?!? Pass. If you absolutely have to stay here because everything else is sold out (like me, thanks TED!!), ok fine ... but by all means, keep it as your 4th or 5th choice. Oh, and park around the corner at the 123 O'Farrell Street garage ... it's only like $30 a day.

• Stayed May 2013
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and the Westin brand. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. I agree our location is perfect but our goal is to exceed our guests expectations in other ways. Because you were not satisfied with your complimentary Platinum breakfast, I would be happy to issue you SPG points instead. Please contact me at danielle.perez@westin.com and I would be happy to further assist you.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2013

While on conference in April I stayed at the Westin St. Francis. the hotel had a great central location, was very clean and I found all the staff very helpful and friendly.
The room was nice and fairly quiet considering where the hotel was located.

The room however was very small and city was so busy in this area it might be difficult for some to get around in area of hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business