“Nice hotel, good location”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #72 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed for one night and enjoyed our stay at the Westin. It is in a good location, walking distance to a lot of good restaurants and shopping. The room was very comfortable and the hotel has a fun atomsphere. The reception area has a starbucks kiosk and pastries/light breakfast in the morning. Plenty of room to sit and enjoy a morning coffee.

We should have had breakfast there - instead we went to the restaurant which was overpriced and the food was below average. The breakfast buffet is measly - very few options compared to the standard buffet at a good hotel. We ordered off of the menu and the food was very average.

There is a car rental station in the hotel which is very convenient - we were a large group and rented cars to go to Sonoma. It was perfect!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to hear you enjoyed your room and the hotel's atmosphere. I am sorry you did not enjoy the buffet breakfast as much. I hope you choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The hotel is really nice, but I can't say it was amazing. Location is good, staff was good. As a Starwood-affiliated hotel, it met my expectation. If you are going for business, or just a few nights b/c you'll be touring the city, it'll work just fine! If you want more of a hotel experience, then maybe look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Want to love this place as it is in the perfect location. However, after staying many times over the years, I realize just how how horrible it is vs the rest of the global Westins. I didn't get my room made, yes, I left late (around lunch time) and didn't come back until midnight ... but no turn down service??! As a Platinum member I'm use to the perks, but $400 per night and you want to charge me an extra $20 for the buffet for my free platinum amenity breakfast?? And $55 parking?!?!? Pass. If you absolutely have to stay here because everything else is sold out (like me, thanks TED!!), ok fine ... but by all means, keep it as your 4th or 5th choice. Oh, and park around the corner at the 123 O'Farrell Street garage ... it's only like $30 a day.

• Stayed: May 2013
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and the Westin brand. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. I agree our location is perfect but our goal is to exceed our guests expectations in other ways. Because you were not satisfied with your complimentary Platinum breakfast, I would be happy to issue you SPG points instead. Please contact me at danielle.perez@westin.com and I would be happy to further assist you.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

While on conference in April I stayed at the Westin St. Francis. the hotel had a great central location, was very clean and I found all the staff very helpful and friendly.
The room was nice and fairly quiet considering where the hotel was located.

The room however was very small and city was so busy in this area it might be difficult for some to get around in area of hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My daughter and I decided to do a girls weekend in SF for Mother's day. I had stayed at St. Francis before and loved it, but I was hesitant because of recent negative and mediocre reviews. Hotel has one of the best locations in town, centrally located.

The trick is knowing which room to ask for. We asked for a tower room with two doubles. We were delighted to get one (4th floor) that also had a large outside patio! Tower rooms are on the side of the hotel and do not get the noise from Union Square. On higher floors, some tower rooms come with balconies.

The room was spacious and spotless. We had asked for extra pillows and robes, and were accommodated immediately. The "dream bed" is very comfortable. Bathroom was spotless, with plenty of room for two ladies' beauty supplies - only wished it had 2 sinks.

Staff was wonderful, especially the concierges, who suggested premier restaurants close to the hotel and at our daily destinations. Housekeeping was wonderful, leaving extra coffee at our request.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer weekend.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower and request a balcony or patio.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank pbgtraveler
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We enjoyed staying here a while ago and everybody here was incredibly nice and a delight to talk to. It is next to Union Square and I can tell you that this is one of the greatest experiences ever to have in San Francisco because everybody is a delight to talk with and everybody is a joy to see. We had an incredible experience here and loved every minute staying there.

Room Tip: Choose the very best room and enjoy your experience here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel has an outstanding customer service agents - Audrey provided excellent customer service with our travel issues and arrangements. Would recommend to all travelers, good location and good value. A+++

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family