The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #70 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Booked and paid in advance months earlier. Already stayed at Beverly Wilshere in LA and going to stay at Wynn in Vegas. Thought this hotel would be similar standard! We were given rooms in the old tower. They were small, in need of renovation with the doors to the next room so close. We asked for a different room. We were shown another room that was no better and in fact still had rubbish in the waste bin! We were shown a larger room but was very old and in even more disrepair. We asked to go in the new tower but were told that we would be moved the next day. So we had to stay in a room with a bathroom that was just about big enough for one person to stand in at a time. We were told that our bags would be moved to our new room the next morning. When we returned to the hotel the bags had not been moved and were told that there were still no alternative rooms. We said this was not acceptable and were suddenly given rooms in the tower which were a lot better. Clearly there were better rooms available but because we had prepaid via an agent the hotel thought they could fob us off with the poorest rooms they could get away with. The breakfast room was not clean and the breakfast was poor, especially for the price compared to the Wilshere. The location does not make up for the staff who do not care although there were one or two exceptions. Bell boy did ring asking if we were satisfied with first room knowing we would not be & also the bell boy on departure was good loading up our stretch limo! Overall we were very disappointed. The lifts were inadequate for the numbers of people in the hotel with the reception being reminiscent of Liverpool Street Station!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Davide S
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear you did not have an enjoyable experience with us here at the Westin St. Francis. I apologize for the inconvenience of switching rooms. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The location is perfect, the hotel is just across the Union Square. Cabs are lined up in front of it. The room I had was very spacious and cleanliness was top notch. If I would rate just the room and location I would give it 4/5, but because of all the other perks, I stepped up the rating towards 5/5 - realistically the best bet would be 4.5/5. Mini bar was fully stocked, but do have in mind that moving anything inside it will automatically charge you as you took something from it. As I had a couple of good bottles of wine I called the room service and they brought a fridge for no extra charge. There is a large gym in the hotel and in case you didn't bring your equipment, you can get the whole shebang (clothes + new balance tennis shoes) for something like $10 or $15. The hotel hosts a couple of good restaurants, including that one of SF's darling Michael Mina. There is a fantastic little wine tasting room from Chateau Montelena (of the Judgment of Paris fame) - the staff there was great, wines even better. Will return next year for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2013

As I always say, it is a shame that good hotels don't get as many reviews as the bad ones do so it is important to highlight the hotels that actually do a good job. NOT The best Westin but At least the staff here try their best in order to maintain the standard and expectations.
The hotel rooms are showing their age! Nice Old historic hotel...modern inside..well almost! We had to change our room 4 times as they were having heat issues  but the staff made every effort to fix it ... We got an upgrade after that ...couldnt be perfect but it was okay. If you get to the higher rooms the views are great.
EXCELLENT location for everything...close to eny darn thingy u wana do. Eat, party, shop, roam ...whatever. Westin amenities are nice. Phone charges are AWFUL. They charge even if call isn’t connected. That’s so unfair.
Small rooms and rollaway beds arent so good either.

Room Tip: higher you go the better the view...as always!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed here with husband and two other people. We were on the 30th floor of the new building and the views from atop were amazing! You can see the Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Union Square and the towering city buildings. We had to use a cot and it was actually a little more comfortable than the bed. There are entrances from 3 different streets so that was nice. The hotel was in the center of the busy square - loved that part. Public transportation was either ride outside your door or 3 blocks to a Muni/Bart station. Plenty of places to eat around the area. The historic cable cars run past the front of the hotel although if it's too crowded, they won't let you on.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2013

we could not of been happier with the service at the st francis..kudos to the front desk staff especially June for being so diligent and her attention to details was amazing. All in all a wonderful stay !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

As an SPG platinum member, we have stayed at this hotel many weeks on end this year alone. The only complaint that I have is that our mini-bar with complimentary water was never refilled - we had to call each day to ask for someone to bring us some water. The excuse as to why the mini-bar wasn't refreshed? We had our DND sign out until 10 am - what? you refresh the mini-bar only before 10 am and don't send staff to check after? For this calibre of hotel, I was disappointed with this aspect...not everyone is an early riser. Other than that, the rooms are lovely and the heavenly beds are always something we look forward to! It's convenient location also meant that we can walk anywhere and everywhere we wanted.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am a Gold SPG member, and I arrived at the Westin St. Francis at 1:30 am local time (4:30 am for me). I was exhausted from a six hour flight, and because it was so late. Upon check-in, I was informed by the check-in clerk that my room was given away. He said that it was an oversold situation and he gave my room away. I asked him how that could happen, since I am one of 30 people in our room block, and I am staying for five nights. He had no answer and was in no way apologetic.

He was telling me I would have to move to another hotel. Obviously, as tired as I was, this did not sound appealing. He then offered that there was one room left, a "parlor" room. I asked what that entailed and he said it had a rollaway cot. I was so exhausted that I agreed to the parlor room.

Imagine my surprise when I got up to 634 and it was a palatial suite. First I spent ten minutes walking around trying to close curtains and turn lights off. After changing into my pajamas I went in search of the bathroom, and I was only able to find a toilet and sink. I called the front desk where I spoke with the same rude clerk. I asked him where I could find a shower or bath. He THEN informed me that there was NO shower or bath in my room.

I am not paying $300 a night to sleep on a rollaway cot in a room without a shower or bath, and to be treated like crap by Westin's minimum wage employees. I can tell you that other SPG properties will not treat you this way. Stay away from the Westin St. Francis!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 50and50by50

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your Starwood loyalty. We appreciate your feedback. I am extremely disappointed to hear your experience. I am sorry we were unable to provide a relaxing experience upon check in and during your stay. Our goal is for our guests to leave us feeling refreshed and renewed. I hope you choose to return and stay with us again.