“Mini-bar refills not done if DND on until 10 am”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #71 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 29, 2013

As an SPG platinum member, we have stayed at this hotel many weeks on end this year alone. The only complaint that I have is that our mini-bar with complimentary water was never refilled - we had to call each day to ask for someone to bring us some water. The excuse as to why the mini-bar wasn't refreshed? We had our DND sign out until 10 am - what? you refresh the mini-bar only before 10 am and don't send staff to check after? For this calibre of hotel, I was disappointed with this aspect...not everyone is an early riser. Other than that, the rooms are lovely and the heavenly beds are always something we look forward to! It's convenient location also meant that we can walk anywhere and everywhere we wanted.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I am a Gold SPG member, and I arrived at the Westin St. Francis at 1:30 am local time (4:30 am for me). I was exhausted from a six hour flight, and because it was so late. Upon check-in, I was informed by the check-in clerk that my room was given away. He said that it was an oversold situation and he gave my room away. I asked him how that could happen, since I am one of 30 people in our room block, and I am staying for five nights. He had no answer and was in no way apologetic.

He was telling me I would have to move to another hotel. Obviously, as tired as I was, this did not sound appealing. He then offered that there was one room left, a "parlor" room. I asked what that entailed and he said it had a rollaway cot. I was so exhausted that I agreed to the parlor room.

Imagine my surprise when I got up to 634 and it was a palatial suite. First I spent ten minutes walking around trying to close curtains and turn lights off. After changing into my pajamas I went in search of the bathroom, and I was only able to find a toilet and sink. I called the front desk where I spoke with the same rude clerk. I asked him where I could find a shower or bath. He THEN informed me that there was NO shower or bath in my room.

I am not paying $300 a night to sleep on a rollaway cot in a room without a shower or bath, and to be treated like crap by Westin's minimum wage employees. I can tell you that other SPG properties will not treat you this way. Stay away from the Westin St. Francis!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
1  Thank 50and50by50
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your Starwood loyalty. We appreciate your feedback. I am extremely disappointed to hear your experience. I am sorry we were unable to provide a relaxing experience upon check in and during your stay. Our goal is for our guests to leave us feeling refreshed and renewed. I hope you choose to return and stay with us again.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. Direct access to Union Square activities and cable car line. Beautiful historic hotel that has been through a recent renovation.

I arrived around 1:30pm on a Monday afternoon. Check in was fast and efficient. The associate was able to find me a room to get into, even though I was arriving mid day. Recognition of my platnium status and recognition that I had stayed at the St Francis previously.

Room service was very fast and efficient. Food quality was good, served warm and fresh. No issues calling to order during prime dinner hour.

The remodel to the fitness center is great. They have a good number of machines and weight equipment for the guest. As always, it can be difficult to get a machine at prime AM workout hours, but that is the case at most hotels.

Overall, a great stay and a perfect location.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room in the back tower. You will be much higher and lessen the street noise.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip and was very pleased with my stay. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location Union Square. There are lots of bars, restaurants, and shops in the area. All the facilities were top notch. My only complaint is that a basic room was almost $300 a night. Other than that I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for four nights while attending a business conference. I've visited the lobby and public areas several times previously, so I was excited to have the chance to be an overnight guest.

On arrival, check-in (Saturday evening) was fast and friendly. SPG Gold membership was acknowledged, Internet access was included with my rate. I was assigned to a grandview deluxe corner room in the tower (23rd floor) - very nice, 2 bay windows on two sides of the room, with a great view of Union Square, Coit Tower, and the newly lit Bay Bridge! Room was quite large, with a king bed, large bath and large closet (with plenty of hangers) in the entry foyer.

Bed and bath were the always awesome Westin signature "Heavenly Bath and Bed" - loved the rain forest shower head. Water pressure and temp was always good. Noise from other rooms was never a problem, but it did seem that the noise from outside at night was loud, even though it was 23 floors up - seems like the shape of the tower building just resonates certain sounds. Also, it wasn't possible to have the HVAC run constantly to provide white noise to cover the outside noise. Housekeeping was good - room was very clean and always serviced nicely each day.

Public areas of the hotel are beautiful, with a historic, classical elegance. Restaurants: ate at Bourbon Steak, Oak Room, and Caruso's - all were very good. Used the Westin Workout Room - well-maintained and plenty of space on late afternoon.

All staff that I interacted with were very friendly and accommodating. Only glitch was that they added a parking fee to my bill after check-out, when I never had a vehicle at any point in my visit to SF. I spoke with a helpful clerk in the accounting office, and she removed the incorrect charge and refunded my credit card quickly, but I don't understand how it got onto my account in the first place - I hope that isn't a common occurrence. Lesson: Always check your folio and reconcile it to your credit card statement!

I had no complaints at all for my stay at the St Francis, and I'd not hesitate to stay here again. For others, if you are very sensitive to urban noise, you may want to ask for a room facing an interior light court - you'll lose the awesome view, but you'll get a more restful sleep.

Room Tip: Tower rooms on high floors have great room, but building seems to carry sound from the street. Ligh...
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Everything about this hotel was amazing - the location, room, and service were impeccable!
While checking in the Lobby Host Maricha warmly welcomed me and filled me in on the services provided at the hotel. She was lovely to chat with and it was a great way to start my stay :)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We got into our room and the carpets were soaked. They must have shampooed the carpet before we came in. They quickly moved us into another room which was higher with a different view.
The rooms have some great views of the city. The elevators are cool because they take you to your floor and don't stop at others along the way. It's right by lots of high end shops, malls, restaurants and china town. It's in the heart of the city. I would stay here again for the location alone.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple