“Wonderful room and staff!!”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #69 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fredericton, Canada
“Wonderful room and staff!!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Everything about this hotel was amazing - the location, room, and service were impeccable!
While checking in the Lobby Host Maricha warmly welcomed me and filled me in on the services provided at the hotel. She was lovely to chat with and it was a great way to start my stay :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

We got into our room and the carpets were soaked. They must have shampooed the carpet before we came in. They quickly moved us into another room which was higher with a different view.
The rooms have some great views of the city. The elevators are cool because they take you to your floor and don't stop at others along the way. It's right by lots of high end shops, malls, restaurants and china town. It's in the heart of the city. I would stay here again for the location alone.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hilandl
Ridgefield ct
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I arrived to check in after a flight from the east coast around 1am today. I got out into a huge room (something you would use for a business conference lunch of some sort) and I thought I was going crazy but I couldn't find a bed! Thinking that I was just tired from the trip I looked and looked and still no bed. I called the front desk and they said that that was the last room. They brought up a rollaway bed. Is this the Westin experience? Front desk failed to mention this when I checked in. TV didn't work either without calling the engineer.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Papmaster112
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing feedback. I am extremely sorry about the experience you described. I apologize on behalf of the Front Desk for not confirming the room type upon check in. I hope you choose to stay stay with us again.
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

It's a nice hotel in a great location. The view was great as well. We stayed in a Tower room. We did not have champagne upon our arrival as ordered with the Indulge package. The room could have been cleaner. There were marks on walls, the arm chair and the bedding. There was a powdery substance between the night stand and the bed and the night stand was not wiped down. In my opinion the hotel was overpriced...and I expected attention to detail, which the hotel seemed to be lacking. It's a nice hotel, but nothing special...there are many cleaner, just as upscale and cheaper price wise... Hotels in San Francisco...I probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Alinama
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Arrived yesterday to spend the night for wife's birthday. It's Sunday night. At check in given option of room near elevator with view or away from elevator no view. We're here for a holiday not business and expect to be out late we think out load when confirming view room. The desk person unfortunatly failed to inform us that along with the noise from the elevator the housekeeping staff would have their morning meeting outside my door at 8am and that my door would get a knock at 8:15am. Check out time is noon? This is a business hotel not for holidays nor families wanting to stay in bed a little longer. Now that we're awake I guess I'll get the complimentary paper left outside our door. No surprise no paper. This is all by design by greedy management who wants to turn over rooms, try and avoid promises and charge $15 for internet. Really? Don't go here!!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank showkit33048
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I am extremely disappointed to hear your experience at our hotel. I understand how frustrating it must have been as you were trying to enjoy and celebrate your wife's birthday. Please accept my apology on behalf of the entire Westin St. Francis team. It is our goal to provide a relaxing experience for all our guests and we clearly did not accomplish this during your stay. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you and your wife back again in the future.
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel was in a great location convenient to just about everything. Being from NYC is was
very simular to staying in Manhattan. Rooms were a bit on the small side, but that was expected.
We also had a great view of the city. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating.
The only issue I had and this is not the hotels fault, there is a lot of panhandling in the area and they do not take no for an answer. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view on a higher floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan Y
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is certainly grand, beautiful and in a nice location -- but it falls down on the most basic hotel service: a comfortable night's sleep.

The bed was a small queen with a so-so mattress, the door to our room wasn't sealed, so light and sound leaked in, and there was a TON of street noise. Sure, we're staying down town, but there should be at least some difference if the windows are closed vs open. In the room, the door to the bathroom didn't latch and kept swinging open, which sort of countered the lovely marble floors and new showerhead in there.

I suspect we might have had a different experience staying in the Tower, but I'm unsure. Regardless, this hotel seems like it is in need of some serious updating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ianbnet
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review. It is nice to hear you found our hotel grand, beautiful and in a nice location. I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your bed. Westin is known for our Heavenly beds and I apology you did not enjoy a goods night sleep. I hope you return and stay with us again.