“Great location but consider the cost versus the location”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #73 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great location but consider the cost versus the location”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel is located on union square in the centre of San Francisco, great central location and the hotel is full of history however the room in the original front part of the hotel are cramps, small and in need of a refurb, if you stay request a room in the tower behind but still part of the hotel where the room are much better and the higher floors have a great view.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Carlos, California
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The good: the service is fabulous - everyone is nice. they're really fast at responding to anything. Also, I was here to work, and I liked the desk and chair in the room - it was a marble table, nice size, and a real work chair - swivels and adjusts higher. The bathrooms are really large, in comparison to the small rooms. I also like the high ceilings, and the location next to Union Square is good if you want to be near Union Square.

The not so good: there is live music outside from about 6 that doesn't stop till 10. I'm not the type that normally complains about noise, but you'd have to hear this to believe it. I'm on the 7th floor on a Friday night, with a drum beat so loud that I can't even think. And I'm someone who doesn't hear her 3 kids all saying something to her. It's a Friday night, and the front desk told me that the music is every night till 10, so I'm in for the same thing tomorrow night. The hotel is a little dated, which can be good and bad - I like the charm that comes from the datedness, but I don't like the worn stains around the entrances to rooms, or the walls that need some repainting. Also, the hotel says it has a spa here - it sort of doesn't. It has a terrific exercise area, but the spa is one small room with two pedicure stations, and the treatment section is one room located off of the exercise area.

I probably wouldn't stay here again, mostly because of the noise.

Room Tip: Go higher! Also, ask to face Union Square - otherwise, you'll just be facing other buildings.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights midweek from 09Apr. Chosen for location downtown and an attempt to keep the budget in check. Seems SF is an expensive town when it comes to hotels with a bit of class, so booked via hotel website a Grand Deluxe King in the Tower building. $500 per night after taxes etc. Only real contact with staff was at check in, no assistance received from bellman lugging bags up stairs off Powell St. Concierge did recommend an excellent restaurant, One Market, but managed to reserve the table for the wrong night. A lot of money for a drab, badly designed room, and this was an SPG floor level, 25. Cupboard doors that collide with bathroom doors, very annoying. Furnishings tired, decor uninspiring. But to the positive: excellent location, great express elevators, heavenly bed and a touch of history in original building. I really expected a little more. There must be better hotels for the money.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Harry_Melbourne_Aus
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear we did not exceed your expectations. It is nice you enjoyed our location, elevators, and Heavenly beds but it is our goal that our guests have an all around enjoyable experience. I am sorry for the inconveniences regarding luggage and concierge services. I hope you choose to stay with us again.
Fresno, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at The Westing SF on 4/6/13, and had an excellent stay there. I asked for a room in the new building since I had read on TA that the older rooms were much smaller. The front desk employee was able to look around at the huge amount of rooms available and relocated us into the building I requested. We were very pleased that we were checked in early (11 a.m.), which gave us reassurance that our belongings would be safe. We were attending a Giants game and were afraid that we would have to leave our things in the car - making it a target to be stolen if someone were to see this. The room we were in didn't have a great view - just the building across the street from us - but we could have cared less. The room had a modern interior and was very nice. The concierge was an excellent resource and let us know that the
Farmer's Market at the Embarcadero was closed Sun AMs, which we did not know. We would have traveled all the way down there and been disappointed. The front desk also let us check out at 1:00 p.m., which again, was awesome for us! The parking fee is exhorbitant: $51/noc, but we still felt like we came out ahead because we had paid $100 on Priceline for our room, which was an excellent deal - especially as this was a Saturday night! The lobby was gorgeous and we really enjoyed the history of the hotel and all the pictures of the celebrities of years gone by that lined the Westin's walls. I would highly recommend this hotel based on my experience there. The staff was first-class and all our needs were met.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new tower if you prefer a larger room. and comfortable/modern surroundings.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Lovely hotel....apparently this was the original hotel in the series 'Hotel' !
Great buzz in lobby. Location is just terrific. Staff were so friendly. I had a problem with my room and wanted to change....' No problem , will we move you right now...would you like us to move your bags ?'.You can't eat that ! I had parcels delivered to hotel...and they were also delivered to my room after my arrival . Breakfast was great...I did not need to eat for the day. Busy hotel bar at night ( lovely cocktails! ).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
San Clemente, Ca
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last 6 months and it is very unique. It has a lot of history and has an excellent story that you can read about throughout their hallways. It was especially fun to stay right before Christmas. The service was outstanding and everyone makes you feel welcome. Both of my stays were in the older part of the hotel so my room was small with a more traditional feel of yesteryear. If you look at the room alone than it is hard to pay the premium price the hotel commands. But the service level and other amenities do make up for the difference. The workout facility is a nice with a lot of machines and some weights. Finally, it is located in a prime area for shopping so lots of things to do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I'd first like to give a hearty thanks to the first person I encountered when I went to check in; Lobby Host Marichu Alvarez. I love traveling. I love San Francisco. And I love hotels. I travel alone mostly so it completely makes the trip for me when the staff is genuinely kind and interested in you having the best stay possible, as Marichu was. The President delayed all travel so I got there late; 5:30ish and wanting a room in the new tower, I had to wait as it wasn't ready. Marichu bought me a much needed glass of wine and kept checking back on both me and the status of my room as I waited in the lobby. Throughout my whole stay, she did so. "What can I get for you?" was always her first question after her greeting. I wanted one of the beautiful orchids in a vase that they had on a table in the lobby (bar?) for my room. Done. Nice. All the staff were warm, and there's a BIG difference between warm and polite. It was greatly appreciated.

It's a huge hotel and I had fun exploring it. A mentioned above the bed was mmmmmmm, so good. Good sheets-the down comforter sandwiched between two like I like it (Bedspreads! Ewww!). I had a King corner that was large and accommodating. And I LOVED the tub. Boy are hot showers important to me and these were glorious.

I paid an amazing rate through Hotwire AND got upgraded so I cannot complain about a thing. If I were to make suggestions they would be as follows: Change the toilets. You're a Westin property and It's far too nice of a bathroom to have hardware from back when I was in grade school. The light fixture was broken-the bulb hanging over the side. I just didn't use it-no biggie, but how do you miss something like that? An iPod radio/dock would be in keeping with the times. And the steam room in the gym wasn't really hot. That was probably most disappointing. Walking those hills really do a number on your body and it would've been nice to relax in heat that should be protocol for a steam room

I would recommend and return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo