“Very classy and upscale :)”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #72 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago Ridge, Illinois
“Very classy and upscale :)”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great location! Spacious rooms,great customer service and was able to check in early without any problems. They have luggage storage which is great and the check in rep even gave me Macy's coupon ;) how great it's that!.. Only neg thing of notice was that the comforter in the bed had a funky smell? I called quickly was changed out

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your review. It's great you enjoyed our great location, spacious rooms, and great customer service. I hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,314)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was going to stay the night with the family there. Made cash and points reservation. Arrived a little late in the day and quick check in. They upgraded us to a huge suite in the new tower. A total of 3 separate rooms. The middle room had a dining room and living area. SubZero Microwave and Fridge. Huge with a great view of Union Square. The hotel manager even left a note and some treats for the kids. Totally worth it and convenient to everything. Did late checkout no problem and took breakfast downstairs. Would have camped out longer if we had known we were getting such a nice room.

Room Tip: As for the new tower since the rooms are more modern
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your SPG loyalty. It is wonderful to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Lafayette, Colorado
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Lovely hotel with interesting history, really a genuine slice of San Francisco. Great location right on Union Square with parking underneath at $51 daily (24 hours). Local parking close by is around $32 daily but when the weather is bad closer is better. VERY nice to have the use of Westin umbrellas from the front desk! Check in on Easter Sunday was easy and we stayed in the newer tower, room 2195 a corner with great view of Coit Tower. The ride up in the glass elevator is an experience in itself, not for the faint of heart.
Usual "Heavenly bed" which is great if you like them quite soft but not so great pillows. Dark industrial carpet seemed dingy but the lighting was good. Fainting couch instead of easy chair was not really comfortable to watch TV but desk and office chair adequate. Speaking of office REALLY Starwood, $15 to get WIFI, you need to get with the times!
Also annoying not to be able to use the small fridge without pre arranging since they have auto charge if you move so much as a water! Would be nice to have REAL coffee cups instead of paper in a 5 star hotel?
Quite amazed that this deluxe room did NOT have a bath but the spacious shower was adequate. Bathroom amenities were totally minimal, soap, shampoo, conditioner and I expected a little more upscale at this hotel.
Every staff member from maid to concierge was pleasant and helpful and a credit to Starwood. Dining and room service costs were reasonable.

Room Tip: New tower as high as possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I made a reservation 3 months in advance, which was paid and confirmed. As I arrive there they say they tell me and my companion that they had overbooked and since there were no other vacancies downtown (not true, as some friends of mine coming to the same conference found hotel rooms nearby using the "Hotels Tonight" app) they were going to send me to the airport hotel (a 30 minute cab ride away; I was going to a conference that was taking place in the Westin, St. Francis). The hotel staff was completely unapologetic, and they seemed to think that there was nothing wrong with what they were doing. They did pay for our cab, but they would only give us a voucher for one company, and it took more than 30 minutes for a cab to arrive, while there were plenty of cabs from other companies (this was all happening at 1AM). The hotel also offered no compensation (they said they gave me a room upgrade for the next night, but a friend of mine said my room was identical to his). The next day I use the Business office to prepare handouts. There is a minimum $10 charge for something like 20 minutes of computer use, and as I print my handouts, I find out that they charge $1.50 per page for a grand total of $55 for 5 minutes in the computer printing 30 pages. In fairness, they did cancel the charges after I pointed out that I already fulfilled the abuse quota that they seem to reserve for each guest. The room was reasonably spacious, and the bed was comfortable, but the noise isolation was non-existent. Anytime the fellow next door was get up from his bed at night, my bed would shake, and I would be able to listen to each of his steps. He was probably taking showers in the middle of the night, as the hot water was gone by the time I would shower. The fitness center is not bad, but I highly recommend that you use before 6:30 AM as there is about one cardio machine per 200 rooms. To top it all, as I get home there is a $2 charge from the airport hotel on my credit card that I never incurred as a memento of the whole experience. The location is very good, if you they don't ship you somewhere else.
If you really want to stay at a Westin, I recommend going to Seattle.

Room Tip: Avoid the old towers! The rooms are stuffy and tiny but not cheaper.
1 Thank Sergio T
Thank you for choosing our hotel and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear your experience. It is both rare and unfortunate we had to relocate you to another hotel due to an oversold situation and I apologize on behalf of the hotel. I am also extremely sorry you felt like our staff was unapologetic and did not compensate you to your satisfaction. I do hope you choose to return and stay with us again.
PA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I am so glad I kept my reservation at this hotel. I almost changed it given some mixed reviews but after staying here for 3 days I am not sure why this hotel isn't rated higher. We booked the larger family room with two double beds and it was huge. They could fit two King beds in this room and still have plenty of space. The beds were very comfortable. Yes it is old so if you like new this isn't the place. It reminded us of the Waldorf in NYC with the high ceilings and large hallways. This hotel has so much character. I have a hard time faulting this hotel.

The location is perfect. Sits right at Union Square. The trolley comes right in front and the tour buses are just across the street. Easy and safe walk to Market Street. We travel with our children so I wanted to make sure we were in a safe area regardless of time of day, and this place met our goals.

We didn't eat at the hotel but the restaurants in the hotel looked very good. The one night my wife and daughters were hungry when they should have been asleep (hotel restaurant was closed). I walked a half block and had several choices for them.

In my opinion this hotel is as good as you will find in SF. Yes you can spend a lot more but I don't think you will get more, maybe you will get a more updated bathroom but who cares. The service was fantastic, the staff was great, the hotel is exceptionally clean, .... The list could go on.

For our purposes we made the right choice. I read many reviews about visiting SF and many said to stay in Union Square area, they were right. Fishermans Wharf area is a nice place to visit but it is, in my opinion, a tourist trap. If you are coming to visit SF and see the sights then this is a great place. I did get great deal booking online and using AAA. I paid about $200 a night and we did not get a car so we had no parking charges.

When we come back this is our hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here recently during a conference when the hotel I originally booked was oversold. Our rooms were in the old tower - I've been told there is a BIG difference between the old and new towers.

The room was cramped and oddly shaped. While the full size bed still had the signature Heavenly bedding, I think it's the first time I've ever seen a lone full size bed in a hotel room. The space was dimly lit by a chandelier, which should have felt grand but ended up feeling slightly spooky. My room also looked directly into my colleague's room. We discovered early on that the sheer window covering makes it hard for you to look OUT your window, but very easy for anybody to look IN. Luckily we discovered this prior to any awkward moments!

To be fair our night was comped by the overbooked hotel, so chances are we were staying in some of the worst rooms in the hotel - at least I hope.

Room Tip: Ask for the new tower!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for writing a review on your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback. We offer a variety of room categories, varying in shapes and size. I hope you choose to stay with us again.
OMAHA
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Loved the location. had slow elevators- Hit and miss room cleaning. They missed a whole day in our 4 day stay -even after I specifically asked to have it cleaned..I had been in room most of day because I was under the weather- but when I left for 5 hours- I asked to have it cleaned- Did not happen- so no refill on coffee or Kleenex.. Not happy..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. It is great you enjoyed our location but I am disappointed to hear of your issues with our Housekeeping. I am sorry you did not experience a more relaxing stay especially because you were not feeling well. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.