“Poor execution on great location”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #73 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 24, 2012

For expensive SF location, execution in rooms is poor. Courtesy glass in room 826 had filth and TV will not turn on, or turns on after 3 or 4 tries, but will not stay on channel. Faucet in bathroom drips. 3-4 men showed up in room next door at 3:30 AM and making noise until 5AM. (flight crew?). Parking, $51/night, sm coffee, $5, breakfast buffet 25.95 + tax.

Room Tip: Use your Starwood Membership to get a better room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Joelovesliving:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear of your experience and I apologize for the condition of your guestroom as it is uncommon for a guestroom to be in such a state. Should we have known of these issues during your stay, we most definitely would have fixed them right away. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. I can ensure a much better experience. Please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com, if I can be of any assistance.

The Westin St. Francis

Write a ReviewReviews (5,766)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Whenever we can manage a getaway to The City by the Bay, the St. Francis is our top pick. Comfy, spacious rooms; a gracious and accommodating staff (if you are fortunate, Yeni will be the one to help you at the front desk -- a consummate professional without being in the least stuffy, truly a gem); the perfect location for walking to a terrific variety of restaurants and shopping destinations; and the cafe/bar in the lobby is a wonderful convenience, whether for a morning snack or an evening cocktail, where you can people-watch to your heart's content. Well worth the price for a memorable San Francisco stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Viaggio123:

Thank you for continuing to choose the Westin St. Francis and thank you for reviewing your stay. I am happy to hear you enjoy our guestrooms and find our staff accommodating. Yeni will be much appreciative of your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had 6 nights in the hotel in April, when we were on a conference. Yes the hotel is old, our room was in the old part, but after 1 night ( room was very hot and smelt smokey) we were transferred to the tower. The location of the hotel is fantastic. Walk outside and you are overlooking Union Sq. Walk down to the shopping District, Maceys, Nordstrom., Disney Etc for some great bargins! Up the road is Nike etc, and of course the famous hills!!!
Hotel was clean, cable car stop out the front. We had a dinner on the top floor and the views were amazing! Staff were friendly. Best conference location yet!!! I felt safe wondering around by myself and would love to go back!

Room Tip: Extra for Wi Fi
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 4msandaj

Dear 4msandaj:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your review. I apologize for any inconvenience of moving rooms. I agree, our Union Square location couldn't be more convenient, and it sounds like you took full advantage of it. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

After staying in more than 20 San Francisco hotels, I can confirm this is not the choice for any special occasion or tailored attention, but it's fine for a business trip. I've stayed here twice – once in the older Landmark side (which has both the charm and the drawbacks of early-20th-century construction) and this most recent time in the newer Tower side, which has a 1980s vibe. The common areas of this hotel are what this hotel is famous for, and they are lovely -- a cozy “heart of Old San Francisco” spot for a drink when you’re shopping Union Square during the holidays. But if you’re staying overnight at the hotel you’ll obviously want more than the common areas, and guestrooms and staff are what make this a below-average Westin. I’ve stayed at a lot of Starwood properties and this one rests on its laurels of the past, suffering from low attention to detail. Rooms need updating and deep cleaning. Front desk staff try to smile but seem weary no matter what time of day, while housekeeping staff miss spots, stains, smells, hair... (A simple but telling omen was the main hallway on our floor, where several hotel employees might travel in a given day. As we arrived at our floor after check-in, we saw empty cans and other trash on the hallway table near the elevator bay. Even when we checked out 22 hours later, the trash was still there.) This hotel is fine for a business trip. The small gym and locker rooms in the basement are nice, the guestroom bed is comfortable, and there is sufficient workspace for a computer or writing. But if this is your first time staying in San Francisco and you're expecting all that this hotel's website promises, you'll likely be disappointed. For a warmer welcome and a better connection to local culture and people in this price range and neighborhood, try Kimpton hotels Monaco or Triton. If you want to stick with Starwood, the W Hotel a few blocks away also has great personality and perks.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear TravelinNic:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your continued Starwood loyalty. I am pleased to hear you enjoy our grand lobby but disappointed you were not completely satisfied with the rest of the hotel. We strive to be both good for both business trips and special occasions. I apologize for any issues with staff and cleanliness. I would be more than happy to assist you with future accommodations. Please contact me 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days during a conference. It was in the perfect location to meet others, dine, cocktail and of course shop. I stayed in the tower where the room was very clean and comfortable as well as spacious. I liked that I could get a Starbucks right in the lobby or a glass of wine. The hotel staff were all very kind and helpful. The steak restaurant in the hotel was fantastic! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Pschmeda:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you found our location perfect and your room clean and comfortable. It is also great you were able to enjoy Caruso’s and Bourbon Steak, both located in our grand lobby. We look forward to welcoming you upon your next visit. If I can assist you with your future reservation, please contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel was built a longtime ago, yet that is what makes fun. They allowed me to check in at 6:00 in the morning before my conference started at 8am. My up graded room was not available, yet I want to just check in vs waiting on the room. The room I had was nice and overall had a nice feel. There is some street noise, guess that is par for San Francisco.

Also location is in the heart of union square. Fun place to be for every type of person.

Room Tip: High as possible, San Francisco has street noise. This is par for every hotel I have had in this cit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Txdelphia:

Thank you for your Starwood loyalty and thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis. I am happy to hear we were able to accommodate you with an early check and you enjoyed your room, despite not talking the upgrade. I hope we get to welcome you again. If I can be of any assistance, please contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Looking at the reviews, I'm kind of baffled that so many people are giving this place a low score. I had a wonderful stay! I loved the rooms - they were so plush and comfortable. Up until then, this was by far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. Perhaps that's why I was so impressed, since I'm just a country bumpkin from Indiana :) But seriously, they have really nice feather beds and there's even Starbucks coffee in the room (which pleased my partner excessively - she kept asking me to get more coffee packets to keep the room stocked). The location was great. We didn't have to drive anywhere and a friend of ours took us around since he lives in the area. Didn't get a chance to read the other reviews, but I was thoroughly impressed!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lbugher

Dear lbugher:

Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am extremely happy to hear you had a wonderful stay. It is great you loved your room and our trademark Heavenly Bed. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you and your partner again soon. I would be happy to help if you need assistance with future accommodations. I can be contacted directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.