“#1 Union Square Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“#1 Union Square Hotel”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Westin St. Francis is the only hotel located on Union Square. As you enter the lobby you will notice the historic Magneta Grandfather Clock. marble columns, ornate balconies, and intricate woodwork with the elegance of yesteryear. I did not stay here, but, all Westin’s feature the Heavenly Beds, the Starwood Preferred Guest rewards program, which I am a member. Union Square and a cable car stop are outside the front lobby door. BART is only 12 miles from San Francisco International Airport (SFO), and 15 miles from Oakland International Airport. I was here for a conference and meetings on the mezzanine, 2nd floor and hospitality on the 32nd floor over looking Union Square and downtown SF.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tony J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The St Francis is one of my favorite hotels in San Francisco. If you are traveling for business, shopping or night life this is a great location. They seem to have several upgraded rooms and I have been able to stay in both updated and the ones that have yet to be updated. The views from the upper floors are incredible and that staff always seems to be welcoming. The greatest asset to the property is the location and many of the hot spots are within walking distance from the hotel. I would rate the non suite rooms at 3* the hotel a 4* and the stays in the suites as 5*. the rooms are spacious considering the age age of the hotel and the location. This isn't your typical NYC type downtown hotels with micro rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room and a room on a higher floor to avoid the noise and take in the great views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear CarteBlancWine:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear you have enjoyed staying with us multiple times. I agree our Union Square location couldn't be more convenient. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Should you need any assistance with a future reservation, feel free to contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

La Quinta, California, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Westin St. Francis is a great place to stay. It's right in the heart of Union Square and close to everything else SF has to offer. The staff at the hotel was excellent. I highly recommend staying there for your next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear CubsFan013:

Thank you for choosing The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your review. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay and you would highly recommend us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. If you need any assistance, please contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Manhattan Beach
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in a tower room on the 20th floor. The bathroom had beautiful Calcutta marble, the bed was a typical comfy westin bed, and the room was quiet.

Now the not so good. The carpet in my room and the hallways is in desperate need of replacement. I had to wear my flip flops it was so stained and gross looking. The drapes looked tired and overall the room just looked worn out and tired. I wouldn't stay here again unless the property went through a renovation.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank beach567
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Beach567:

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your feedback. It is good to hear you enjoyed our Heavenly beds and found your room quiet; however, I am disappointed you found the carpets in your guest room in such condition. The condition you described is unacceptable and I have reached out to the Housekeeping manager regarding this matter. Again, thank you for your feedback. I would like to assist you with a future reservation should you choose to return. Please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Delmar, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I could not tell why this hotel was rated as 4 stars on the site where I made my reservation. The room was clean, though it looked a tad shabby. My room would be considered small by many people, but being by myself, I wasn't bothered. I could hear the couple in the next room, but they went to sleep early enough for me. The bed was comfortable. The best thing about the room was the shower. I am tall, and being able to stand up in the shower and have the water pouring down on the top of my head, instead of on my face and upper chest, was a pleasure. Otherwise I felt that it was a completely average hotel experience, nothing to rave about, but adequate. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Aussie
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our first time in San Francisco and found this to be a great location with transport links right at the front door - or side doors:-) right on The Square - fabulous shops steps away!! Minutes away from Chinatown. Not far to Fisherman's Wharf.
There is a great little cafe in the foyer which serves a light, economical brekky/lunch and becomes a bar in the evening! Courteous and friendly staff and great food. Try it.
Comfy beds - roomy rooms - clean.
There was an issue with many people with the elevators and swiping of cards before being assigned a lift for your floor - but they did address this and I think they have a more user-friendly system now. :-)
The building has history and I loved the photographs & memorabilia !!
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear AnnaAussie:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am excited to hear you enjoyed your stay and you would definitely stay here again. I would be happy to assist you with your future accommodation needs. Contact me at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is one of the City's classic buildings, in a central location. That is both good and bad.

It is good because the building is mentioned by a number of tour guides as the place to start a San Francisco tour. And it is a grand old building, with an ornate lobby and attractive public areas that everyone should see.

But staying in an old building means the rooms are old too. Our room was cavernous, dark, and a little depressing. However, Westin, as always, does a fantastic job with beds and betting.

Service was not terrible, but was surprisingly mediocre and indifferent. The hotel promised vouchers if we chose not to have our room cleaned, and then refused to provide the vouchers because we "had not signed up in advance." The front desk made a show of checking to see if a better room was available, then told us it was not giving us an undesirable lower-floor room with no view.

Union Square is tourist central, which means it is noisy, full of crass commercialism, and overrun by tourists and panhandlers. As a result, this famous local area is stripped of local character.It should be seen once -- but is not a pleasant place to stay.

It was ok to stay here once, but not again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunra7
Dear Sunra7:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed we did not exceed your expectations. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Westin Heavenly bed and our grand lobby; however, I am sorry you were not satisfied with your guestroom or service. We strive to provide outstanding customer service and it is uncommon our guests should feel otherwise. With regards to the Make a Green Choice program, you can sign up during check-in or hang the Make a Green Choice card on your guestroom door before 2 a.m. This way, the housekeeping department can plan accordingly for the following day. Again, thank you for your feedback. If you choose to return to Union Square, please contact me, I would be happy to assist you with your accommodations. I can be reached at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.