“Wedding at the St. Francis”

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #74 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We just had our daughter's wedding at the Westin St. Francis at the end of September. Everything could NOT have been more perfect. The ceremony was held in the Borgia Room...a beautiful room was made even more beautiful by the uplighting and gorgeous candle, hydranga and moss arrangement on the fireplace mantle. Candles were also in the fireplace. What a historic, warm and magical room for a wedding.
From there we went up to the Alexandra Room for the reception. As the sun was setting, our guests were seated after a cocktail reception in the foyer. The room was magnificient on it's own, but with the panoramic view of all of San Francisco, it was all the more spectacular. We had so many positive comments on the food...appetizers were great, as was everything else-delicious. We could not be more pleased.
Robin was great to work with and made everything go smoothly, as was the catering manager. A great GREAT place to have a wedding! Beds are divinely comfortable, rooms were immaculate. Location is great for guests to walk around the city....it is really nice to have a wedding and reception in the same place...no transportation issues, and everyone could just go up the elevator to their rooms after the festivities! We had a perfect experience all the way around. Only problem we did encounter was quite a bit of confusion in reservations over rooms. Other than that, we could not recommend the St. Francis more highly.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer tower aren't as historical, but are quieter due to better soundproofing. A f...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Westin_St_Francis, Manager at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear cindylane123:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and your daughter’s wedding at The Westin St. Francis. I am excited to hear both were a success. Both the Borgia Room and Alexandra’s Ballroom are beautiful spaces and you are absolutely correct, Robin from our Catering Department is outstanding. The Chefs will be pleased to hear of your compliments. Again, thank you for your feedback. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome your family and friends again soon. Please let me know if you need any assistance with future accommodations. I can be reached directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

The Westin St. Francis

Write a ReviewReviews (5,767)

Reviewed September 28, 2012

The ground floor and entrance is great and the bar nice but the rooms is what lets this hotel down. They are old, small and the walls thin. Not badly appionted and clean but just not good enough. You can hear the people in the room next door and the bathroom fittings are tired.

The location is great and the staff freindly and helpful. It always seemed busy and they could probably do with a few more reception / door staff. Easy walking distance (or tram) from everything.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear 1nz:

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis. I am pleased you found our location great and our staff friendly, but I am disappointed your guest room did not meet your expectations. We offer many different room categories, and perhaps a different room would have better suited your preferences. It would be great if we had the chance to welcome you again. Please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. I can be reached at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was assigned the St. Francis by the conference that I attended. Back, when we lived in the Bay Area, my Mom and I used to shop, and then lunch at the Oak Room. Those were the days.

We arrived a bit after noon, and were checked in quickly and given our room early. Painless considering there were 90,000 other conference attendees.

There are two parts to the hotel. The older, character filled part, and the tower. I stayed in the tower.

The room was very large, with two queen beds, a desk, an enormous bathroom and a two door closet, complete with iron, ironing board and safe. Also, a decent number of hangers.

The bed was comfortable. A feather mattress top, then sheets, then a light coverlet wrapped in sheets and a HEAVY comforter on top of that. No reason to be too hot or too cold with those options. I like a firm bed, the mattress was firm enough not to cause back pain, and those who like cushion will appreciate the fluffy aspects.

The Internet connection was included in my rate; it was lightening fast and I could use up to 3 different devices per day on it. The television had plenty of cable chanels, so when jet lag kicked in, I had a good choice of what to watch.

Our room was quiet. I never heard doors in the hall slam or city traffic. There were a couple of sirens, but honestly, dead quiet.

The shower had that freeze or fry thing going where the water temperature is inconsistent, but the pressure was nice and strong! There are two shower-heads. I'm not sure what the benefit of that is, but it was a great shower. The toilet was the loudest in North America. The soaps were yummy smelling. The towels fluffy and absorbent.

The in-room coffee is a single cup drip maker, with Starbucks. A few extra $$ to the chambermaid kept us loaded up on coffee and mini-moos. There's a mini-bar fridge in the room. We were able to balance small leftovers in it, although they'll send an empty fridge up if you want one.

Lots of space to spread out in the bathrom with an enormous countertop, as well as shelves to store your trial-sized whatnots.

The elevator system is fast and modern (in this part of the hotel.)

Some places nearby to eat include: Burger Bar, Hubert Keller's burger restaurant in Macy's. Tian Sing on Cyril Magnin St has Shanghai (soup) dumplings and Peking duck. Colibri Mexican Bistro is a block and a half away on Geary and I had an excellent Mexican meal there. More mole than frijoles, so upscale.

Caruso's in the lobby was a great place to get a little breakfast before starting my day.

I was pleasantly surprised by the St. Francis. It's nice to see that my old friend is aging well.

We had room 996 with two queen beds in it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear RuthlessBunny:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your thorough review. It is wonderful to hear we exceeded your expectations in more ways than one. I am happy to understand that from check in to check out you proved to be pleasantly surprised. I hope you choose to visit us again. Please contact me if you should need assistance with any future accommodations. I can be reached by phone at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Westin St. Francis doesn't need promoting - it's a well-known, high-end, fabulously located hotel. It has a few quirks - as an older property with a mix of original guest rooms in the historic building and more modern accommodations in the newer tower, you will see a great deal more variation in room type than is typical in american hotels, especially big name chains.

So, you could be in a pretty standard room in the tower, or you can be in a charming but potentially quirky room in the older space. If you're really finicky opt for the tower. If you like old school charm (high ceilings, chandeliers, fancy moldings, etc...) and don't mind having a room that might be oddly shaped, or even quite small, go for the original space. Primary tip - bring a pair of earplugs - the walls are VERY thin.

The service in the hotel is good, and the food was excellent (speaking primarily of banquet food as I was there for a meeting).

The location, right on Union Square, is obviously great. Easy access to public transportation, great shopping and people watching right outside the hotel, etc...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear EMBMaryland_DC:

Thank you for staying with us at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you have such an understanding of our guest rooms. I am also happy to hear you found our staff friendly and the banquet food excellent. I will be sure to pass along your complements to our Chefs. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again. If you need assistance with your accommodations, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Enjoyed my stay. Very comfortable bed and was clean. It was a super busy time because of a few business/technology events going on in the city so the hotel staff appeared to be slightly overwhelmed. This may also explain the mediocre service I received from the concierge, though I must say the maid service was fantastic. It also may explain the annoying elevator system, which might have been less annoying if there wasn't such a crowd. On a positive note, the trolley to Fisherman's Wharf stops directly in front of the hotel which is also nice and you are right in the best shopping area, Union Square. I have stayed at several high end hotels in San Francisco and this is probably my least favorite, but I got a great deal. I would have stayed at the Fairmont or Mandarin if the deal was not so sweet.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dinoenzo

Dear Dinoenzo:

Thank you for staying at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our housekeeping service fantastic. I am happy to update you that we recently modernized the Tower elevators; improving efficiency and decreasing wait times. The Landmark Building elevator renovation is underway. I hope you choose to stay with us again. If I can be of any assistance with a future reservation, please feel free to contact me directly. I can be reached at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

In August 2012 we visited San Fransisco at the Westin St Fransis, a wonderful hotel. However the holiday was in part ruined by Holiday Taxis. After a long flight the taxi that we had paid for in advance did not arrive. After waiting over 2 hours and using not only the USA numbers supplied to us but also the so called UK 24 hour emergency number, all numbers did not answer !!!, We then were forced to use a cab that we had to pay for again. No contact was made to us at either the hotel or on our mobile number, which the Company had. On complaining to Holiday Taxis upon our return we were then met with lies that the emergency numbers were manned but the USA company had the wrong flight time. Although we accept that mistakes are made what we do not accept is being lied to. Our mobile phone records show that we phoned the various numbers and in addition a kind american also phoned on his mobile. What ever you do do not use Holiday Taxis, not only are they unreliable but they also lie to customers. Linda and Trevor Ayling

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great stay at the westin st. francis. From a great location on union square to great staff, westin pulls it off at this gigantic hotel. The check in was smooth and the staff was friendly. They were able to accomdate an early check in. The room was nice, no problems. Just a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Dear CatVancouver_Canada:

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin St. Francis and thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay. I am also happy to see we were able to accommodate you with an early check and you found your room nice. I hope we can welcome you back very soon. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. My direct line is 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.