“Location, service and amenities - too bad about the rooms.” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
Ranked #74 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
United Arab Emirates
“Location, service and amenities - too bad about the rooms.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We booked a last minute 3-night stay at the St. Francis during a very busy week - so we paid out the nose, but wanted the central location.

Good:
- LOCATION! We were there to eat, shop and stretch our legs, so the location could not be more perfect. Right in the hustle-bustle.
- The lobby is spectacular, old-world, modern, bustling and continental.
- The Clock bar is fantastic, if a little pricey, but we still spent every pre-dinner hour experimenting with the cocktail menu.
- View from our room was fantastic - facing west, so didn't get the Union Square bustle, but you do get the sunsets (when there isn't fog).
- The glass elevators up the tower are worth noting - breathtaking views!

Alright:
- After reading reviews about requesting a tower room for a more updated experience, I was quite disappointed that the room was just OK. While huge, the decor was worn, cookie-cutter and sparse, and the bathroom fixtures were quite dated. Not remarkable in the slightest, as I would associate with the St. Francis name (Westin-branded, or not). I really felt it was more like a two-star room in a four star building/location/name.

The only thing I do regret was not signing up for the Starwoods program at the front desk - as a few months later I ended up joining and this stay had already lapsed too far to get credit. Ah well, live and learn (and join free programs).

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better the view. Choose one at the back for the sunsets, at the front for U...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Schadenfreude1369

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,260)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hsinchu, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

The St Francis Hotel in San Francisco is in a great location at Union Square-- close to shopping, China Town, SF sites. However, the hotel does not live up to its reputation. Rooms are small and a bit 'tired'. The hallways are, too. The best part of the hotel is its history.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sar182433
TheWestinStFrancis, The Director of Rooms at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Sar182433:

Thank you for visiting the Westin St. Francis and taking the time to review your stay. We couldn’t agree more about our great Union Square location. The hotel’s proximity to world-class shopping, dining, and entertainment is truly unique. I regret to read that your overall experience did not live up to our high standards. Should you decide to visit again, I would be pleased to personally assist you to ensure your experience exceeds your expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip and it was truly a pleasure. The location was perfect, albeit very busy. The timing was a mixed blessing because it was right before Christmas. The decor was breathtaking, and all the surrounding shops were at the holiday best. It was a feast for the eyes and senses. Good thing I planned on walking to the Moscone Center and not driving anywhere. It would have been nearly impossible to exit the hotel and get away from Union Square.

I stayed in the new tower (but had wanted to stay in the older part of the hotel.) The new tower had the newer amenities without losing the charm of the hotel. Spacious room, standard amenities and the room was very clean and quiet. Big plus for work travel! I also really liked their gym (extra cost), but it was a real gym with lots of room and equipment. The tread mills had individual tis (for those who do watch tv when they walk/run.) The only part that was a bit rough for me was walking through the beautiful lobby and checkin area to get back to my room in the tower after a work out.

Two things that I would like to point out as to why this hotel was excellent. #1- I loved the fact that the hotel made a true effort to highlight its rich history with beautiful photographs and pieces presented like a museum display. I really enjoyed taking my time reading about some of the pieces, and looking at the Ansel Adams photographs. The Clock is still in prominent display, and the annual Christmas sugar castle at the entrance is every child's dream. Lovely!

#2- The hotel provided a choice and true incentive for people to be green. For the days that you don't request a sheet change (they still make your bed), you have a choice to add Westin points or a coupon to use at the Coffee stand in the lobby. I felt that this was a good idea to give the customer something back for helping them and also the environment.

I will absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask where they will place you- you have either the traditional side or the newer towers...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Carbongirl
Dear Carbongirl:

We can’t thank you enough for your kind words! We always love to hear from guests after a visit, and it sounds as though you had a wonderful time. You’ve highlighted some of our finest features. Westin offers guests the Make a Green Choice program which provides an option for guests to decline housekeeping service to assist with the conservation of water, energy and other environmental resources. Thank you for mentioning our WestinWORKOUT Fitness Center. I’m pleased to share with you that since your visit with us, our guests may now enjoy access to our WestinWORKOUT facility at no additional charge. The historic charm of The Westin St. Francis is certainly one of my favorite attributes of our beautiful hotel. I’m truly pleased to understand you enjoyed your experience!

It’s great to see that you’re planning to stay with us again. Though it will be hard to match the magical atmosphere of the holidays, we’re sure you’ll enjoy a visit any time of the year. If you need assistance booking a stay, please feel free to contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Good:

Bed is soooo comfortable.
Location is prime.
Staff was nice.
I liked the gym (modern equipment)

Not so much:

I wish I had read the yelp reviews before and asked to stay in the modern tower. The classic rooms were too old for my taste. Peeling paint. Chipped walls.

Bathroom wasn't as clean as should be. Much of the peeling paint and chpped walls were in the bathroom. I'd take a shower and it would take FOREVER for the water to drain. Turns out there was a LOT of hair in the drain. Ew.

Gym charges $12 p/day or $30 for your entire stay. I know they say it's for the use of the "spa" facilities but I've seen better. No slippers. No eucalyptus scent. The steam room was small and dark. It was also so loud (old plumbing) that I left because I thought a pipe was going to burst.There was hair all over the shower drain first thing in the morning. Gross. Their "relaxation lounge" was two chairs right next to the entrance. Also, their treatment rooms are located in the gym. Strange.

Parking was $57 p/night so we parked around the corner across from the JW Marriot for $32 which covered 24 hrs.

I'll probably stay at another hotel when in the area again.

Room Tip: Stay in the modern tower.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SpaJumper
Dear SpaJumper:

On behalf of the Westin St. Francis, I’d like to thank you for reviewing your recent stay. Your feedback is extremely valuable to me, as it assists me to correct inconsistencies that are experienced by our guests. I’m delighted that you enjoyed our one-of-a-kind location, friendly staff, comfortable beds, and WestinWORKOUT Fitness Center and spa. Based upon feedback like yours, we now offer complimentary hotel guest access to our WestinWORKOUT Fitness Center .

It is disappointing to understand every aspect of your visit did not meet our standards of excellence. Cleanliness and maintenance are extremely important to me and I’m very concerned to learn that it was lacking in your room. Since reading your review, I’ve been working closely with our Housekeeping team to reiterate the importance of reporting and correcting concerns such as you have described.

I would be most grateful to have an opportunity to assist you with a future visit. Should I be of service to you, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Riverside, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

love, love love this hotel a little pricey but worth every penny, great restaurants, great location can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sasham648
Dear sasham648:

Thank you for taking the time to review the Westin St. Francis. We love to hear from our guests, and knowing that you had a five-star experience put a smile on all of our faces. If you ever need assistance planning a visit, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

rva1138
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

I love using my AmEX Starwood Preferred Guest points to book rooms whenever I need it. With the Westin St. Francis, I was expecting a 4-star hotel on par with all the great things I had heard about the place. Instead, I got a small room that smelled musky and everything about the room screamed "extremely old!!!"

Union Square location is central to all the business and touristy areas in SF, but the room I got was a big disappointment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank rva1138
Dear rva1138:

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Westin St. Francis. On behalf of everyone at The Westin St. Francis, I’d like to apologize for your disappointing experience. We work closely with our guests to provide accommodations that create fond memories. I’m very sorry that we placed you in a room that was did not meet your expectations and didn’t provide appropriate follow-up to ensure you were enjoying your experience.

I would be honored to receive an opportunity to again have you as our guest so we may work to exceed your expectations. If I may be of assistance while coordinating a future visit, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed 1 night on corporate rate at the Westin St Francis.

I did not manage to get the new tower side as it was fully booked due to some convention taking place. Service at check-in is quick and got me up to the room in 10 minutes.

While the room and layout is good, somehow felt very compact together.

Surprised that internet at Westin was chargeable, wasn't pleased with it.

Location is good, managed to pop in a few stores in the morning to pick up gifts around the area. Market St where all the shops are is just 2 blocks away.

I wouldn't pay full rate to be staying here since the my purpose was just to have a good night's rest.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank xhrstphr
Dear xhrstphr:

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Westin St. Francis. We’re always excited to host business travelers, since our central location has so much to offer, even during a brief visit. It sounds as though you were able to take advantage of the great shopping in the area! We hope you’ll choose the Westin again next time you’re in town. For assistance, please contact me directly at 415-774-0317 or by e-mail at michael.smutzer@westin.com.