“Not sure if I'd stay again”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #60 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 30, 2005

The location of this hotel can't be beat. It's right in the middle of it all and you can walk everywhere. However, I was unimpressed with the service. I was here with a group from work for the Builder Show last June, but the staff did not seem very hospitable. The only person who cracked a smile was one of the doormen. Other than that, don't expect much hospitality or warmth.

The rooms were very spartan but the bathrooms were magnificent. I loved having the tv in the bathroom. Plus you had a separate tub and shower, though the shower was pretty small. The amenities were really nice too. But other than that the room was very basic and dull.

Did not eat at the restaurant as it was very expensive. For a great meal walk down to Maxwells for a great meal at a great price.

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled on business
7  Thank RumRunner01
Write a ReviewReviews (1,870)

California
Reviewed January 25, 2005

What a wonderful hotel. My husband and I were from the San Francisco area and recently moved to Hawaii. We were back for the holidays and stayed here right before Christmas and we loved it! The staff were so pleasant and greeted us each night when we came in. We felt like they went above and beyond to be pleasant. The location is close to all, near Union Square and close to good restaurants. I will definitely stay here again.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2005

My Wife, Daughter and I stayed for 3 nights at the Pan Pacific in November and would rate this hotel very highly after staying at the Fairmont Orchid Hawaii and the Bellagio. The location is perfect for the shops (we found the Pier 39 area to be tacky) and the rooms are fantastic - spacious, with lcd tv, large windows and a huge bathroom with tv! We didnt eat in the hotel so cant comment on that but the staff were very friendly even though we were clearly one of the poorer guests! As I used tripadvisor to book all our hotels I thought I should share this with you - basically the tripadvisor reviews got it right in all of the hotels we stayed at!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2005

My husband and I have just returned (10/01/05) from 14 nights at this hotel, it is not our first stay at this hotel, yet each visit is just a special stay.The staff are the most friendly, happy and informative you could hope to meet.The rooms (we received a free upgrade as frequent visitors) are spacious and very comfortable.The new flat screen plasma t.v's are excellant quality, as are the choices of channels and pay to view movies,also the BOSE radios are an excellant quality,being left on for you at a very low volumn,if you choose to ask for turndown, another free service. The bathroom is just dreamy,all marble with seperate tub and shower,I loved the miniture t.v. in the bathroom, a nice touch.The butler service is excellant and so quick to respond,with nothing being to much trouble.The location is perfect, half a block from Union Square,and right in the middle of some great theatres and restuarants,(try SEARS, just round the corner, to avoid the line of this popular restuarant for breakfast, you need to be there before 8:00a.m, but even if you are later, the line moves very quickly,lunch and dinner are equally as popular).If you fancy the theatre,try TICKET MASTER, located in Union Square for half price tickets,we managed to get tickets for every show we wished to see, all at half price.All in All an EXCELLANT HOTEL at the most excellant location where you are made to feel so welcome and everybody is so friendly.

8  Thank kristyann
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed January 7, 2005

We stayed at the Pan Pacific for three nights and the room was huge, clean, and had all the amenities for a family of four. The bathroom was perfect with a separate shower and tub and the water pressure was great. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant to work with for directions and assistance. We would highly recommend this hotel to any family travelling to San Francisco. We have stayed at other smaller boutique type hotels and this by far will be where we come back to when we visit again.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 29, 2004

The location of the Pan Pacific was excellent; however the hotel itself was very mediocre. The hotel is pretty dated. The rooms are nice, but I've seen much better for the price (we did get a screamin'deal on Hotwire of $127.00 per night, which made it adequate for the price) but I would not stay there again for the AAA book prices. The hotel has no panache at all, it is a very sanitary, lifeless hotel. The staff is courteous, when you can find them. The bar/lounge is a joke, and it is so quiet in there you feel like you are at a funeral viewing.

When my wife and I do go back to the Union Square area, which we definitely will, we will stay at either the St. Francis, Hyatt, or other which we have had much better stays.

Added tip, do NOT eat at Asia de Cuba, which is the restaurant in the Clift Hotel. The food was extremely overpriced, $100+ per person for very small portion and no drinks, and the service was the worst service I have ever had at a restaurant. The food really was not all that good either, I would give the food 1 star out of 5--Panda Express has better asian food.

• Stayed: August 2004, traveled on business