“Good Value”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #60 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights over the July 4th Holiday. AAA rate of around $225/night.

Upon our late arrival, we were given room keys to the wrong room and woke up a woman who already in that room. We received a curt "apology" and were assigned to a different room. Not a good way to start after a long day of travel from the east coast.

The room itself was a reasonable size for the price and location and was well appointed.

The star of the show was the manager/staff at the on site restaurant/bar. During our stay, my wife got food poisoning. While we weren't sure about where she contracted it, I did go down to the bar and talked with the manager about it possibly being the Ahi tuna appetizer. I said I wasn't being accusatory, but didn't want others to be sick. After consultation with the chef, we were all pretty confident that it wasn't the tuna. Even still, the manager (I forget his name, but he was a younger Asian gentleman) still proceeded to buy me a couple drinks and send up fresh made soup to my ill wife. This gesture was unnecessary, but his commitment to making customers happy beyond all other factors left a lasting impression and more than made up for our inexcusable check-in experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank willisdavis
Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the JW Marriott Union Square in San Francisco. Check-in was smooth, and the staff was always very pleasant and helpful. Our room was very nice. The location was also convenient for accessing the tourist sites or transportation to them if you are willing to walk a few blocks. The noise was not out of the ordinary for a city location. My only complaint was the windows in our room. It felt/sounded like the window was open, but it was not. However, this did not affect the comfort of our room. The bathrooms were very nice. The staff was also very helpful in arranging transportation to the airport at the end of our stay. I would stay here again if I could get the same rate that I got on this stay. (I booked the room about 3 months in advance, and received an AARP discount that I did not see listed on their website closer to the date of our stay.)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jazzy1103
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in July and overall had an enjoyable stay. Before staying the one thing that did impress me was that I contacted the hotel to try to arrange Alcatraz tickets and had prompt response and the concierge arranged them for me and were waiting at the desk a week later when I checked in, that was the most impressive thing about the stay. The room was large and nice, but was just showing a few areas of age and the few disappointing things compared to other similar hotels we stayed at in the USA included, No Turndown service, no free bottles of water and no free wifi. If it wasn't for these issues I would have rated higher. The hotel is well located, and there is a small liquor store across the road for cheap drinks and snacks rather than paying the mini bar prices. Definitely worth considering for a stay in San Francisco despite the few issues.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bristraveler
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our stay was ok but nothing exceptional for the price we payed. Parking is an extra $60/night and wifi is an additional charge as well. The room is nice but we were put in a handicapped room and we aren't handicapped (that we know of) so we didn't have a traditional shower and tub which left water all over our bathroom floor. The location is good but comes with a lot of noise (sirens, cabs, bar music, etc...) and thin walls, Our neighbors woke us up at 3 am so that was a little unfortunate but not the hotels fault. If the price was better I'd stay again but for what you pay I'd shop around.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (higher up maybe) with a real tub or shower if available.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bryans373
Reviewed September 23, 2013

As an international frequent traveler, I always go with Marriotts (Europe, USA, Aus, Asia, all over). The "JW" is known to have spectacular service, they never say no to anything. I have stayed in courtyard Marriotts which have better service than the JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square. Absolutely rubbish. A.) I asked to use my points to get an extra room (I have 900,0000 plus and have never used them) they declined.
I asked my room to be cleaned in the morning and they came in the afternoon. I asked for water bottles as they had none in the concierge lounge and they declined. I asked if they can call a cab for me and they said No, you have to make your own arrangement. I went to the restaurant and there was no one serving (at 2pm). I went to the bar and ordered food, and the lady told me she doesn't serve food, only drinks, Ill have to pick up my plate at the bar and take it to the restaurant. NO NO NO, everything you ask for they answered with a Im sorry sir we can't, we don't, we won't. Worst hotel I've ever stayed at, can't believe it was a JW.
Rooms are over priced, it is a noise (ghetto-ish) location, and inconveniently located. If I could give zero or negative stars, I would.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Kallau R
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights while in town on business and was very pleased. Check-in was quick and painless, and the staff was extremely nice and helpful. The room itself was huge, and the bed was amazing - I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud. Thought it was strange that the bathroom only had a standing shower, but the bathroom was still beautiful with its marble and chrome decor. My only complaint was that my television didn't work; I reported it to the front desk and was told that an engineer would be up to fix it, but that never happened.

The hotel is located on the corner of Post and Mason Streets, just a couple of blocks away from Union Square with its high-end shopping (Macy's, Sak's 5th Ave, Neiman Marcus, Tiffany's, etc). There are a ton of little shops, restaurants/cafes, and bars within walking distance. It's also about a 15 minute walk to the Ferry Building and the Embarcadero area, which is beautiful for strolling around on a nice day.

Room Tip: I was on the 6th floor in a corner room and don't recall hearing ANY outside noise from the othe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GypsyButterfly79
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Tje hotel provided a quiet and very comfortable stay for a recent business trip. I looked the up to date furnishings giving me plenty of options for all my electronics. All the furnishings were tops. The front desk and other staff were very polite, professional and welcoming. If I were to offer one suggestion it would be to make sure room service dirty dishes were picked up from the halls more often. The concierge lounge breakfast was excellent. The windows were very dirty however.

• Stayed: September 2013