JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Hotel Diva(San Francisco)
  • Room Service
Post Hotel(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel G San Francisco(San Francisco)
1,909 results
All reviewsthe concierge loungeunion squareseparate showershower stalljunior suitelobby barthird floorstreet noisefitness centerhigh floorbusiness tripluxury hotelcity viewrooms are nicecorner roomvalet parkingbusiness center
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at the JW Marriott San Francisco on a recent business trip. On a previous trip I stayed across the street at the St. Francis. I'd say the JW is slightly nicer than the St Francis tower, which is known to be nicer than the old side of the St. Francis.

My room was a Jr Suite in a corner location. The room was really nice with a comfortable bed, air purifier and granite bathroom with separate bath/shower. It was extremely quiet and I never was disturbed anything, including street noise as I was on the 12th floor.

I had access to the concierge lounge at the top floor, which had great views for breakfast in the morning. Staff was friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay here again on a future trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KTraveler17
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I travel to San Francisco on business on a regular basis. My favorite hotel to stay at is the JW Marriott Union Square. It is a beautiful property, very elegant, clean, modern and tastefully decorated. Check in is a breeze and the front desk personnel are always very professional, friendly, polite and helpful. I love the glass elevators that whisk you to your room. Since the hotel is laid out with a huge atrium at its core, you can see all the floors and the lobby below as you speed up to your level. The lobby has a beautiful bronze sculpture in the center and a comfortable bar and seating next to it.

The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is very luxurious with marble tiled walls and floors, a huge tub, and a roomy separate shower stall with glass doors. The views from my room are spectacular. I am a Marriott Gold member and enjoy the executive lounge on the top floor for appetizers and complimentary soft drinks. The views are amazing. Their prices for wine and beer are very expensive, so I pass on those.

I like the location of the hotel which is walking distance to all the sites around Union Square, including restaurants, shops, shows, etc. I love eating at Farallon and highly recommend it. They have an amazing happy hour with 6 oysters for $6.00, along with sliders, fries, etc.! They are delicious and I always look forward to eating there when I am in The City.

A cost savings tip is to park in the public parking structure directly across from the hotel. I save about $15 or $20 doing so and it is not an inconvenience at all. Parking at the hotel is very expensive and you have no choice but to valet. This is a very expensive property and I stay there only when their rates are comparable to other hotels in the area. This hotel would be a great choice for a romantic get away!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Calartist
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in July and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is welcoming and typical of most Marriott properties I have stayed. THe bed was very comfortable. I always know I can count on a great bed at a Marriot property. It does appear that perhaps this property was once a Embassey Suites during its life. It has the wide open huge atrium in the middle

The staff was polite and super helpful upon check-in.

The room was well appointed and comfortable. The bathroom has a rather annoying sliding door but is otherwise quite nice.

I found it rather annoying to get ice I needed to call down and ask for it delivered to my door, in which case I feel obligated to tip each time.

I had to use the business center and it was VERY expensive to print a few basic documents.

The location is good and you are walking distance to a number of attractions or a short cab ride away.

Overall, I will consider this property again when I return to SF.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjohns7861
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The staff were very friendly and helpful - with the exception of the guy on reception when we checked out who told me to take my own bags to the ground floor so that they could look after them for an hour until we left for the airport.

Location is ok - close to Union Square and the cable car.

Would probably choose a different hotel next time in San Francisco.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Russell G
Reviewed August 4, 2013

When the seven members of my family checked in at this Marriott, the staff member could not find the reservation for our third room. After searching the database, she insisted there was no room available for my daughter and her husband and offered no suggestions or the slightest bit of remorse. Her attitude was awful--she simply stated the hotel was full, and there was nothing she could do about it. I then rummaged through my luggage and found my folder with my itinerary and reservations from Expedia. All of a sudden she found TWO rooms available: one on the same floor as the other two rooms (that was not yet cleaned) and one on another floor that was ready. It's a good thing I had proof of my reservations! After getting this resolved, we moved on to the next issue: a cot for my other daughter in our room. I had reserved one via a phone call to Marriott; however, the employee could not find any documentation for my phone call and told me all the cots were taken. In other words, my 22-year-old daughter would have to sleep in the king sized bed with us or on the floor (of course, there were no rooms available with two beds!) We all went to our rooms very annoyed. Later in the evening I called the front desk to ask for a cot again, and they were able to locate one.

I also did not like the set up of this Marriott--in my opinion, it is very cold. The elevators take the guests directly to the street. I prefer the layout where we have to walk through a lobby and interact with the other guests as in the Baltimore Waterfront Marriott or the Napa Valley Marriott.

The other item I did not care for is the fact that this Marriott only provides one regular coffee and one decaf coffee with the coffeemaker. My husband and I always have a cup of regular coffee before we go to breakfast. However, that did not happen here!

On the positive side: The bathrooms were beautiful and the guys outside were friendly and helpful.

After coming from the Napa Valley Marriott (which provided top-notch service) to this Marriott, we were extremely disappointed. I would suggest that the JW Marriott send their employees to Napa to observe quality customer service. All in all, I would NOT recommend the JW Marriott to others. San Francisco has many hotels--try another!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family