“Great location, never slept better in a hotel!”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #63 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Upon arrival this hotel is a little confusing as the check in is on the 3rd floor, where a giant lobby bar welcomes you as you step off the elevator. Bettina at check in was extremely helpful and even checked on my loyalty program. To get to your room you step back into the same elevator that whisks you up the center of the building to your room that is located around the peripery of the building. If you are afraid of heights I do not recommend this hotel. The club lounge is located on the 21st floor and pretty well stocked. The gym is open 24 hours which is great for those of us travelling from the east coast working out at 3 am PST...you'll have the gym to yourself, but please get some updated bikes. Those lifecycles are seriously outdated! As for the room it was spacious with a granite bathroom that was gorgeous. For someone that does not sleep well in hotels I was surprised at how well I slept every night. This must be due to the fact that the rooms are very well noise insulated since I never heard anyone else in the hotel although they must have been there!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

Reviewed January 10, 2013

When thinking of staying at a JW Marriott, I expect something great. What this place has going for it was the location near Union Square and a very reasonable price for this brand of hotel. I would much prefer the Marriott Marquis up the street. I have stayed there many times. This hotel was slightly outdated and still charged for the extras like it was the top tier of JW Marriotts. I have stayed at some other JW properties around the world and this didn't match the quality that you come to expect. I will skip this place on my next trip.

One thing that could help is if they would update their beds and pillows. The other major brands have gone to things like sleep number beds, etc for their higher end properties. It is time for an investment as I found the sleep comfort to not be great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Ryan649
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Easily the best Marriott I have stayed at last year. I have over 150+ nights last year alone and most of them were at Marriott and SPG properties, however JW Marriott in SF was easily the best property! Very new, very clean!

Staff was very good and service was top notch! Love staying at JWs when I can as the standard is very similar at each property.

Location was perfect as it was just a block off the busy touristy streets and close enough to restaurants and bars. The valet staff was very efficient as well.

The only issue I had was while checking in, there were a lot of people in line. This hotel is definitely very busy and they probably should think about adding additional stations or mobile check-ins.

All in all, one of my favorite hotels and would love to go back there soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Location - 2 min walk to Union Square.
Service - excellent. Even if one was fault finding, you'd find it hard to fault its level of service.
Good value for money.
Breakfast buffet spread - nothing to shout about.
Room service - food was good especially the Rebuen Sandwich.
Would definitely return to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank semaj2307
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in San Fran for one night after 4 nights in Napa. We figured we'd chill out/dry out before our trip back home to MN.
I booked the room on Booking.com for about $400/night for a King Bed w/a City View. Valet parking is $50/night - but that's not unusual for SF.
Check in was quick and friendly and we were in our room in less than 5 minutes!
We were in room 1720 and it was lovely. The usual stuff, super comfy king bed, two side tables, a chair w/ottoman, desk/work area, dresser with a large flat panel TV.....but the bathroom...holy hannah! It was gorgeous! All marble with a tub/shower combo PLUS a separate shower. The vanity area was one sink, but had lots of room for all of my girl stuff. Bath products were Aromatherapy Associates - not familiar but I did like them.
In the hallway from the bedroom to the bathroom is a large closet with robes, iron and board as well as an umbrella (nice!)
There is also a mini bar but it's one of those that is fully stocked and you can't take anything out without being charged....and there is no room for leftovers or beverages of your own.
The location is great if you want to do some exploring by foot - it's an easy walk to lots of shopping, restaurants, galleries, etc. And you can always catch a cable car to get up/down those crazy hills!
We've stayed in many hotels in San Fran and I think this one is my favorite thus far. Our interaction with the staff was great, the hotel was immaculately clean and our room was so comfortable I didn't want to leave the next day. We will definitely be back to stay at the JW Marriott!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisampls
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed 30 December 2012 to 2 January 2013. Very nice experience in a well managed and clean hotel.

Check-in was easy and quick, and the front desk staff was very helpful on a number of occasions.

We had no issues at all during the stay, with any aspect of the hotel.

The room, albeit a bit small, was immaculate, right down to the corners (and I really pay attention to cleanliness). The hot water was HOT, another plus. Lots of on-call service, and they were quite responsive.

Most definitely would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Know which way you want to face, so you can ask for the view of your choice. We faced west, which w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights over Christmas. Checking in was a BREEZE as we were met by a women as we exited the elevators. The roll away bed arrived minutes later. The lounge called Level 3 was excellent. I left my iphone in the car and the valet retrieved it for me the following morning. Love honest valet parkers in a city! We would stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family