“Parking was Outrageous! $48.00 per night”

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #60 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Although I slept just fine in my hotel room...I was shocked that the parking is $48.00 a night-FYI.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city...although we asked & did get a room of the city...I would only stay...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed December 14, 2011

Our California family trip had to go via San Francisco and we ended up at JW Union Square. I've stayed at couple JW's before, but this one is of fantastic quality, I must say. It is very expensive (even as Marriott rewards, it's level 7, the highest) and if it wasn't for tons of points I accumulated before, I'd not pay hundreds of dollars per night. However, since points paid, we enjoyed it. Service was almost instant and everything we (and 3 kids) wanted to was provided with the smile and courteousness. As with most SF hotels, no swimming pool is there so you've got to live with it. Breakfast (in the lounge) was excellent also and, of course, you can't beat the location. Room are well noise-insulated and sleep quality was very good, except perhaps sofa-bed, which was just a standard springy one (and which dad had to take it, obviously ;-<...).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank tooreck
Reviewed December 11, 2011

After first being granted keys to a 3rd floor room that reeked of mold, tucked at the end of a hallway, we were given keys to an 8th floor room. This was only after my girlfriend and I went to the front desk where our ages (we're 23 and 21) then our clothes (we had driven 6 hours from Los Angeles and were still in our sweats) were the subject of a snide smirk. Throughout our stay that night, we were looked down on because of these things. We asked for more towels and got 1; we asked for a blanket and were given the dustiest, rattiest wool blanket that appeared to have been dug up from the basement; when asked for a wake up call we were disconnected. We ended up checking out early the following day and moving across the street to The Donatello where our business was greatly appreciated. My parents have been Platinum level members of Marriott since I was 13 years old. I've never been treated so horribly at any hotel and will surely NEVER be back at this "hotel"!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Blake C
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Stayed from 12/5 to 12/8.

I honestly have no idea what the other reviewers who fail to give this property 5 stars are thinking. This is one of the nicest city-based hotels I've ever stayed at. The interior is highly unique with glass elevators soaring up 21 stories, and lobby level on 3rd floor to create a very intimate feel. No riff-raff from the streets walking around which in San Francisci can be an issue at other hotels.

Stayed in a junior suite for nominally more cost - room 2022 , which ended up being a corner room on top floor of rooms with a view of city and Golden Gate/Marin Headlands.

The bar is excellent, plenty of space for casual business meetings on first floor, good restaurant for breakfasts.

The room was totally silent, no noise whatsoever. Open the window and you may hear a bit of street noise from far below, but definitely nothing bothersome.

Valet parking easy, and the guys out front exceptionally helpful.

Location near to Union Square -- 1 block away and like 4 blocks to Chinatown and other fun things makes the location ideal. Definitely will stay again.

Room Tip: Junior suites located on corners are worth the few extra dollars.
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I love the Marriott chain, and I am especially excited when I have the opportunity to stay in a JW Marriott Hotel. This group of hotels is the top of the line in the Marriott Chain, and until now, I've never been disappointed.

However, the JW Marriott leaves a good bit to be desired. The hotel and rooms do not seem or appear to have been updated in a while, and the overall quality of the hotel is not in line with other JW Marriott properties I've stayed in before. The entire hotel seems dark and gloomy.

When I checked in, I was "upgraded" to a Junior Suite which was located on the 5th floor. However, the noise level from the street was unacceptable - it was as if the traffic was right in the room with you. Additionally, the air conditioner in that room was not working, and would only put out very hot air. Since the room was almost 80 degrees when I first entered and it couldn't be cooled, I opted to have them move my room.

The room I was moved to was also a "Junior Suite" and was nice - but the internet connection did not work and I immediately had to call for an engineer to come fix it.

As for the room itself, as I mentioned, it is not the most "updated" property I've stayed in. Also, it seems as if the shower stall in the bathroom was an afterthought. It is very small - not much room to turn around in, and if you have any height over 6', you will probably bump your head on the shower head which is positioned near the center of the stall. Several of my coworkers commented on the same issue with the small shower, so it seems to be the same throughout the hotel.

The concierge lounge is adequate, however, I have never seen more than one person working there at a time. However, at times, it was rather busy and it's all they could do to keep up - there definitely needs to be more help in that area. Also, breakfast is scheduled to start at 6:30am during the week, and while much of the food was out at that time, there were quite a few mornings when the hot food (eggs, oatmeal, etc) was not ready to bring out until at least 6:45. Not sure if this was a kitchen problem, or if it was an overwhelmed conceriege employee.

The hotel isn't awful, it just really doesn't live up to the standards of a JW Marriott. I find the San Francisco Marriott Marquis to be a much better option, a nicer hotel, and for me, a more convenient location.

2  Thank StevenVA
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I spent two nights in San Francisco earlier this week. The city is great at Christmas time. Fun to be in the Union Square area with shopping and Christmas everywhere. The JW Marriott was fairly pricey for the experience. If you need a quiet, low key, business hotel then it might be a good choice. But if you are hoping to stay somewhere with at least a slight pulse of energy then this is not for you. The hotel has the high atrium rising to the 21st floor which limits natural light at the lobby level. Feels grey inside all day. Sort of depressing. Service was good and rooms are nice. Location is good as well but I wanted to be out of the hotel the whole stay. SF has too many good options to stay at the JW if you want to have at least a little enjoyment in the hotel.

2  Thank Brad B
Reviewed November 28, 2011

After a very disappointing stay in their Phoenix location, we were uncertain what we'd find in SF. This location is truly a JW brand. Granted, we were placed on the 20th floor with a City View, so I'm not sure if other levels and views would leave you with the same impression.

The 3rd floor lobby is warm and inviting with a fire place, atrium, sitting alcoves, great bar and friendly service. We usually don't get impressed with elevators, but this place has the best. Fast, efficient and plenty for the number of guests. Don't think we ever waited for more than a few seconds for one to arrive. As soon as we entered the room, we knew we had landed someplace special. They have interest with different wall colors and architecture, not your usual "cookie cutter" style room. The view from our rooms were fantastic and extra special at night. I hate being trapped in recirculated air hotels and the windows opened a bit to allow for fresh air....nice!

The bathrooms are generous for a city hotel. They also added A LOT of mirrors to make the space seem larger. The only drawback was the size of the shower. We are a thin family and you had to be very creative about how you were going to shave your legs. Like my husband said, when you towel off in the shower you wipe the walls dry at the same time.

We had connecting rooms and the place they adjoined was perfect. Usually, they seem to place the connection near the bedroom area, but this hotel had them down the hallway between the closets and bath. It added more privacy, yet still convenient.

I can understand the complaints about the street noise, but the hotel is in a prime and busy location. I'm a very light sleeper and I did have to resort to my Ambien stash for a few nights even on the 20th floor, but we were staying there over Thanksgiving and Black Friday. The streets were full of action, people partying, etc.

Overall, it did meet and exceed our expectations in most areas. It was deserving of the JW branding as we've seen at their other locations, minus Phoenix. We look forward to returning !

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family