“Not what it used to be” 4 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
Ranked #63 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Rosa, California
“Not what it used to be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Pan Pacific Hotel more than a couple dozen of times. I recently stayed there after it became the JW Marriott. I have always loved this hotel. It is a architectural masterpiece. With incredible marble bathrooms, stunning lobby and great rooms this WAS one of the finest hotels in a city full of great hotels. My only problem is with the renovation converting it to a Marriott. Before it was a oasis of class. Now with the changes it has all the charm of a hotel located near a airport. The carpet outside the guest rooms is hideous and loud. Looking down the atrium all you see is this ugly carpet totally distracting from the beautiful design of the building. The only improvement in the rooms is new, larger t.v.s. The new furnishings are bland and basic. Marriott did a excellent job in removing all of the charm and elegance from this hotel. People who have never stayed at this property will most likely love it because it is still a great hotel in a unbeatable location. But for those of us who knew it before the change it is very sad. The interior designer and the executives who approved the new design should be sacked. While I was there the main lobby was closed and being redone. I shudder to think of how Marriott will ruin that formerly beautiful space. So I mourn the loss of a great and beautiful hotel.

• Liked — location, beautiful building
  • Disliked — tacky, ugly new decor
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sgsilva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
honolulu, hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2007

We spent 4 days over the Thanksgiving holiday in San Francisco at the JW Marriott. Being an online travel website editor/content writer here in Hawaii, I spend a great deal of time on TripAdvisor checking out people's reviews of Hawaii hotels so did the same for San Francisco. Four of us flew out of Honolulu on a red-eye and arrived at the hotel at about 7:30 am, bleary-eyed and exhausted. I had called the hotel and requested renovated rooms on a higher floor in the back (after having read various reviews of it being noisy with sirens, etc.), but I never asked for early check-in, but I did mentioned we were flying in on a red-eye. I never expected that either room would be available at that time, but our friends room was, so we could freshen up and leave our luggage there with our connecting room ready by 11 am.

The rooms are elegant and beautifully decorated with the classic "wish I had it at home" Marriott bed and bedding. Large flat screen TV, many amenities and one of the most beautiful bathrooms I've ever seen in any hotel. We were on the 14th floor and we never heard any sounds of sirens, etc. and the rooms were extremely quiet and immaculate.

But even with all this elegance we agreed the best part of the JW Marriott was the staff, from the bellmen to the front desk, concierge, restaurant, bar, housekeeping and valets and every person we met. They smiled, were genuinely friendly and always greeted us, gave some excellent advice on where to eat, made reservations, etc., etc. In Hawaii we speak often of Aloha spirit and it actually is a lovely thing, but we all agreed that we had found real Aloha spirit at the JW Marriott on this trip.

Interestingly, many people here told me I would be disappointed in San Francisco as it was dirty, lots of druggies and homeless (I had lived in Palo Alto for 5 years and spent a great deal of time up in the city). I am not sure where these people were, because we all found it super clean, with friendly people, streets very clean and even the homeless we did see were neatly dressed and did not hassle us and we walked everywhere with no problems.

Would we go back again - in a millisecond! It's a wonderful hotel with a great staff in an ideal location in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. JW Marriott San Francisco thank you for an unforgettable vacation. And as soon as we can get both airline reservations and hotel we'll be booking again, except for a longer time.

• Liked — cleanliness, the friendly staff, the beautifully decorated rooms and lobby fireplaces
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank parmihawaii
Oakdale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2007

The JW Marriott is the former Pan Pacific Hotel, but has been beautifully updated and refurbished now that it's considered part of the flagship brand for the Marriott chain.

This hotel is situated a short walk from Union Square, so location is fantastic. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and luxuriously appointed. The service is spectacular. One thing we really enjoyed during our visit was the very nice breakfast in the dining room, which was included in the package we purchased--very pleasant surroundings, excellent food, and fine service.

The JW is an excellent value, and perfect for a romantic getaway in the most lovely city in America.

• Liked — Wonderful service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Poetmotion
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2007

We were really looking forward to our San Francisco vacation and it really was a perfect weekend - except for the hotel. When you think of a 5 star hotel you think service, luxury and proximity. Hmmm....the JW Marriott did not even reach 5 star quality in ANY of these areas. While the rooms were spacious they were completely outdated. It took room service over an hour to get to us and they acted as if I did something wrong. The concierge (Kyle?) was completely off the mark when recommending restaurants. Sounds like it was more based on a kick back than anything else b/c he sent us to some young kids bar at 50 years old!! Checking in was just fine except for the checking out part. You felt as if they couldn't wait to be rid of two people who made absolutely no trouble. I would NEVER stay in a Marriott again - all b/c of this place. Awful, awful, awful....

• Stayed June 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank PhillyGal123
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2007

I stayed in SF for the dates of November 4-11, 2007. I was there for my honeymoon. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the staff. The bellhop helped unloaded our bags from the taxi and gave us a claim ticket. Check-in was a breeze. We received an upgrade due to the fact it was our honeymoon. Once in our room, our bags arrived within 10 minutes. As for the room, we were in a newly renovated executive suite with a city view. It was very nice. The room consisted of a large flat screen TV, king size bed, couch, chair, desk, and separate tub and shower. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. One problem I encountered was in the morning when I wanted to take a shower there would be no hot water. I ended up having to take a bath that I was not happy with. I have had the same problem with not having hot water in the morning at other hotels. I got over it. The staff was great at the hotel. We never had to open a door. The bar had great drinks. We enjoyed drinking at the hotel bar better than anywhere else. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown. This was a great location. We did not need a car to get anywhere. I would recommend the JW Marriott to anyone. My husband and I will be returning to SF in 2010 and we definitely will be staying at the JW Marriott.

• Liked — The location in downtown SF
  • Disliked — No hot water in the mornings
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AtlantaCPA
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

On the final night of our tour of CA, we stayed at the JW in SF. We had asked for a high floor because of other reviews regarding remodeling. As of Nov. 17th - I think only the first 2 floors of rooms were still being remodeled and the manager had told us that the lobby was to begin the following week. The rooms were beautiful and we loved the bathroom. The bathroom had a separate shower and bathtub; the beds were extremely comfortable; flat screen TV; and the room was very spacious. We thought the lobby and bar was nice (2 fireplaces with comfortable chairs around them) -but he had said they were remodeling to make it more contemporary. The staff in this hotel was exceptional delivering anything we needed to our room.
The only complaint we had about this hotel was the parking - it was $45 a day. Fortunately for us, we didn't really need our car anymore, so we returned it early instead of paying for the parking.
Overall, this was by far the nicest of the 4 Marriott's we stayed at during our trip and was not the most expensive. I would definitely recommend this to anyone going to SF.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LGPITT
RENO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed numerous times at the Marriott in San Francisco located at 55 fourth street in SF. We always enjoyed our stay there!
We were not impressed with the staff at the JW Marriott When we arrived we carried our own luggage inside the building ,While staff members watched .Oh they did open our car door. We placed our bags on a bell mans cart,Then a staff member ran up handed us a claim ticket and shooed us away.We then went up to check in that was pleasant . We then went to our room we wanted to freshen up before our meeting ,The room way nice but had been freshly painted the outside balcony still had a large amount of plastic where they were still painting.We had to wait almost a half hour for our bags to be brought up to the room. The bellman insisted he receive a tip he just stood there ,Of course we tipped him. As a matter of fact ,All the Staff were so pushy for tips even for a bucket of ice (the hotel wouldn't allow us to get it ourselves) We stayed two nights at this Jw Marriott .We tipped to the tune of almost $250.00 to this pushy lazy staff. The bed linens were Not changed and were clearly soiled,The maid also did not vacuum or wipe anything down ,We were happy just to receive clean tiles. My husband works for the Government (The hotel would not honor any discount ) That was okay ,We also own a Rare Coin and Jewelry Company ,It was the principal of the matter. I am also disabled and at the other Marriott at 55 fourth street ,I was not charged for handicap parking .This hotel charged us approx. $88.00 a night. When we arrived back to the hotel the second night of our stay the valet parking attendant rudely stated he thought we had checked out??? What an insult ,I explained to him we were staying two nights . He rudely gave us another claim ticket for our auto. I then went inside to talk to someone at the front desk ,Their was a young dark haired Asian man there, He also was nasty, All I wanted to do was make sure we were Still booked for two nights ? He told me yes ,Then I asked about the parking situation with handicapped parking ? He stated Each Marriott was independently owned and operated and their Hotel Valet was Separately ran and they had nothing to do with Valet (what)...I then had valet bring our auto back we moved it to the corner where their was a handicap parking on the street. upon checking out that next day we carried our own bags down ,I waited for my husband to get the car ,While I waited I could hear the Valet parking attendants laughing goofing off. I wanted to go back in and talk to someone at the check in desk ,But after the Nasty Rude person I spoke to the night before I was frankly a little Scared to. After my husband brought the car round four of the valet parking attendants ran over to open the doors really pushy ,My guess is they wanted More Tips.Hum maybe because they were holding their hands out with their palms up?
When we received our bill for a regular room two nights stay ,We were charged two nights valet parking even though we moved the car. The bill came to $880.00 without any room service or anything else.
Wow I don't ever want to pay to be treated this way again.I did make a call after we returned back home to Reno Nv. I spoke to someone who was very kind ,However it had been over 24 hours and he could not adjust the bill.. Please everyone Beware!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business