“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed November 23, 2007

On the final night of our tour of CA, we stayed at the JW in SF. We had asked for a high floor because of other reviews regarding remodeling. As of Nov. 17th - I think only the first 2 floors of rooms were still being remodeled and the manager had told us that the lobby was to begin the following week. The rooms were beautiful and we loved the bathroom. The bathroom had a separate shower and bathtub; the beds were extremely comfortable; flat screen TV; and the room was very spacious. We thought the lobby and bar was nice (2 fireplaces with comfortable chairs around them) -but he had said they were remodeling to make it more contemporary. The staff in this hotel was exceptional delivering anything we needed to our room.
The only complaint we had about this hotel was the parking - it was $45 a day. Fortunately for us, we didn't really need our car anymore, so we returned it early instead of paying for the parking.
Overall, this was by far the nicest of the 4 Marriott's we stayed at during our trip and was not the most expensive. I would definitely recommend this to anyone going to SF.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LGPITT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
RENO
Reviewed November 23, 2007

My husband and I stayed numerous times at the Marriott in San Francisco located at 55 fourth street in SF. We always enjoyed our stay there!
We were not impressed with the staff at the JW Marriott When we arrived we carried our own luggage inside the building ,While staff members watched .Oh they did open our car door. We placed our bags on a bell mans cart,Then a staff member ran up handed us a claim ticket and shooed us away.We then went up to check in that was pleasant . We then went to our room we wanted to freshen up before our meeting ,The room way nice but had been freshly painted the outside balcony still had a large amount of plastic where they were still painting.We had to wait almost a half hour for our bags to be brought up to the room. The bellman insisted he receive a tip he just stood there ,Of course we tipped him. As a matter of fact ,All the Staff were so pushy for tips even for a bucket of ice (the hotel wouldn't allow us to get it ourselves) We stayed two nights at this Jw Marriott .We tipped to the tune of almost $250.00 to this pushy lazy staff. The bed linens were Not changed and were clearly soiled,The maid also did not vacuum or wipe anything down ,We were happy just to receive clean tiles. My husband works for the Government (The hotel would not honor any discount ) That was okay ,We also own a Rare Coin and Jewelry Company ,It was the principal of the matter. I am also disabled and at the other Marriott at 55 fourth street ,I was not charged for handicap parking .This hotel charged us approx. $88.00 a night. When we arrived back to the hotel the second night of our stay the valet parking attendant rudely stated he thought we had checked out??? What an insult ,I explained to him we were staying two nights . He rudely gave us another claim ticket for our auto. I then went inside to talk to someone at the front desk ,Their was a young dark haired Asian man there, He also was nasty, All I wanted to do was make sure we were Still booked for two nights ? He told me yes ,Then I asked about the parking situation with handicapped parking ? He stated Each Marriott was independently owned and operated and their Hotel Valet was Separately ran and they had nothing to do with Valet (what)...I then had valet bring our auto back we moved it to the corner where their was a handicap parking on the street. upon checking out that next day we carried our own bags down ,I waited for my husband to get the car ,While I waited I could hear the Valet parking attendants laughing goofing off. I wanted to go back in and talk to someone at the check in desk ,But after the Nasty Rude person I spoke to the night before I was frankly a little Scared to. After my husband brought the car round four of the valet parking attendants ran over to open the doors really pushy ,My guess is they wanted More Tips.Hum maybe because they were holding their hands out with their palms up?
When we received our bill for a regular room two nights stay ,We were charged two nights valet parking even though we moved the car. The bill came to $880.00 without any room service or anything else.
Wow I don't ever want to pay to be treated this way again.I did make a call after we returned back home to Reno Nv. I spoke to someone who was very kind ,However it had been over 24 hours and he could not adjust the bill.. Please everyone Beware!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Service
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank SRCNV
California
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I stayed here for a big conference on 10/26- 10/29 and was very impressed with the hotel. I paid $239 for a king bed through the conference. When I got there, I tried for a free upgrade but was granted only a "remodeled" room. However, as it turned out, it was wonderful. I will now review by category.

Hotel: For those that don't know, this used to be the Pan Pacific hotel. It is located about 1 block from Union Square and is within walking distance to many nice restaurants and shops. You do need to take the elevator to the lobby.

Room: I ended up with a remodeled "corner" room on the 10th floor. It was a wonderful looking room and was more spacious than most. I have never stayed in this hotel and don't know what to expect from the other rooms, but I was really happy with it. The bathroom was nice but only offered a shower. The bed was wonderful and had a down pillow top thingy over the mattress that made it wonderful. It had a big plasma TV and desk with a very very comfortable chair. I sat in that chair all the time. My room had two closes and a bar area as well. There looked to be a place for a fridge, but no fridge was found.

Service: Very nice. I was there for 4 days and only opened the front door of the hotel a couple of times. There were always people there to do it and call a cab as well. The butler service was interesting and I only used it for a bucket of ice. There was nightly turn down service that would also fill up the ice bucket. My only complaint was that there were only 4 elevators in the whole hotel and sometimes required a short wait.

All in all, it was a wonderful stay. Would definately return in the future.

Stayed October 2007
6 Thank Saysum
Phoenix
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I have stayed in many a JW… and have always been satisfied with the rooms… but lemme tell you, if you are planning on staying here…DEMAND a renovated room or a huge discount!! I can only blame myself for requesting a very early check-in … the only room available for early check in was on a “low” floor...exhausted I accepted…I was never told the room was not renovated. The room was clean, and typical …but NOT A JW!!! The only reason I didn’t complain is due to the fact the room had the JW bed and beddings, Bose radio and a plasma screen TV … aside from that…. NOTHING in the room was reminiscent of a JW. The carpet was worn, the furniture was dilapidated, the “finish” on the sink and bath tub were actually cracking and peeling! I think I got a mini derma-abrasion from the rough towels provided. I recognized the bath products from a Hilton Garden Inn I stayed in last week… I never found the mini-bar…The in room coffee maker was inadequate.. no name coffee with powdered creamer… How can sister hotel Ritz Carlton have such a fine coffee set up with Brand name coffees & real cream… and JW get play-school props?? Amazing!!! When I tried to use the complementary town car service, I was told by the driver his trunk was full and could not accommodate by belongings… strange as I was his only passenger?! I must give this hotel props though… the location cannot be beat…the staff…although they neglected to alert me that the room was an old Pan Pacific room, were very accommodating and pleasant. The common areas were beautiful as are the renovated rooms …..Should you be lucky enuf to secure one.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Renovations not complete, was not told room was not renovated
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
12 Thank Sean_in_Arizona
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I stayed two nights in August, 2007 at this hotel. I was very pleased with everything.

ROOM: I was assigned one of the renovated rooms and it was beautiful, quiet, comfortable, spacious, and had lots of ammenities like separate shower and tub, electronic laptop safe, large functional desk, and large flat screen TV. The bed was outstanding as were the linens, pillows, and duvet.

SERVICE: Service was excellent throughout my stay. There is a button on the wall in your room that you can push for just about any request. Someone appears at your door in a few moments - - service was efficient and fast. Every staff member I encountered was very polite and helpful.

FITNESS: The hotel has a very nice fitness center with great equipment.

CONCIERGE LOUNGE: The concierge lounge provides an excellent extended continental breakfast. TIP: the lounge gets crowded so I recommend you show up for breakfast early.

LOCATION: The location is great - - right off Union Square behind the Westin St. Francis.

RENOVATIONS: Although this hotel is going through a total renovation, you hardly notice it. I was impressed with how quiet the workers were. They hardly made any noise and certainly had no effect on my enjoyable stay. They are closing one floor at a time for renovations starting at the top and working down. I think the top 5 or 6 floors are done. The lobby is scheduled for renovation beginning in November.

VALUE: This is not the most luxe, beautiful, or celebrated hotel in S.F. but it's an excellent choice and an excellent value when you consider that its rates are 1/2 or less than those at some of the 5-Star luxury hotels nearby. I've stayed at some of these hotels and they are amazing but I think the J.W. Marriott matches most of their quality and services at a much lower cost. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
7 Thank Mid_West_Traveler
NJ
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Must say that we were a bit disappointed with this Marriott property. When we were checking in guests on either side of us were arguing about their reservation. We had made a standard reservation for myself, my wife and our daughter. The room they gave us had a king bed with no room for a roll-away. The only solution was to pay for an upgrade to a small suite. The hotel is centrally located in the business district although the neighborhood did not feel that comfortable in the evening. The reception is on the third floor which is not the most convenient and the parking at $45 per night is steep. The room was a little worn but the hotel is undergoing renovations.

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank Historiana
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Great location, easy check-in, easy check-out, clean, comfortable, beyond inviting, just-right fitness center, knowledegable staff & the fun is in the details! Would definitely do it again.

Stayed August 2007