“Old Fashioned Boutique Hotel in Japan Town”
Review of Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic
Ranked #119 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I found the hotel to be much nicer in appearance than the online photos. Quiant lobby, somewhat friendly staff, friendly and quiet bar. The rooms were small, but nicely appointed and clean. The satellite tv , fridge, and free wifi as a nice amenity. The hotel was in walking distance to public transportation and Union Square was 30 minute walk. Whole Foods is 3 blocks away, a great Udon Noodle Sushi place around the corner, Kaka, was amazing and a lucky find. Unfortunatly the beds were horribly uncomfortable. My back was stiff and aching for the 3 days we stayed. They were also very high off the ground and I am of average height and had to jump to get into them. I would stay again if the beds were changed, but the hard mattress was awful and I had to get my back worked on when I returned home. Getting a good night's sleep is very important and myself and my travel companion did not sleep well due to discomfort. Otherwise, a nice atmosphere and old world charm.

Room Tip: 5th floor was just fine, but if all the beds are hard and you need comfort stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eugene_OregonJesbal
PatelVik16, Owner at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying with us. I apologize that the mattresses were not comfortable to you. I will mention they are only a few months old and perhaps will get "broken in" soon. Keeping guest's comfort in mind, I selected the best bed I could.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Nice hotel with alot of old world character in a very nice area. Only 5 minute walk to Japantown and Filmore St and about 15/20 minute walk to Union Square. Staff were a little disinterested but rooms were clean. The bed was quite hard(which i like but my wife found a little uncomfortable). I would recommend this hotel and would use this hotel when I return to San Francisco

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com
1  Thank mejoc79
PatelVik16, General Manager at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I apologize you found the bed a little hard. We just bought these beautiful new mattresses and they are "firm" pillow-tops. I believe most guests I interviewed believed a firm mattress would be more relaxing. Of course, there are the exceptions.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We've stayed here a number of times. The first was in a corner suite with a sitting area and fireplace. Second time with very last minute reservations we obtained a much smaller room, still comfortable. If you've read any other history or reviews perhaps you already know this is the former home of silent film star Lillian Gish 1893-1993. Or that its a favorite haunt of modern day actor, Nicolas Cage. We'd heard its haunted but slept very well with no disturbances.

The rooms with 4 posters and claw foot tubs are very Romantic, I highly recommend them for their lovely antique furniture and a dark ambiance.

The dining room is quite pleasant, artwork there Interesting, the food Excellent; one of the world's largest African butterfly collections is colorfully displayed in the bar area.

Staff at this hotel have been schooled in the highest quality customer service, the bartender is very skilled as well. We Always enjoy staying here!

Room Tip: This is so easy to find off Lomard St @ 15th and Sutter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Macie_and_Garhett
PatelVik16, Owner at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

THANK YOU FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL REVIEW. I'm sooo happy you had a great stay with us! Guests like you make it worth while being in the hotel industry!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I loved it! From the valet parking to everything being original 100 year old styling....The mattresses were new though, and oh so comfy! The restaurant on site was beautiful and the service was great... but the food was good... not excellent. The staff throughout the building were all very kind and helpful as well as historically informative. I would recommend it and possibly return again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Suzanne L
PatelVik16, Owner at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you Suzanne for you fantastic review! I would love to meet you upon your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Every anniversary we like to go away and we look for interesting places to stay. This year we went with Hotel Majestic.

I was attracted to the look of the hotel. We didnt want to stay where EVERYONE stays... chain hotels are NOT our thing. We love boutique hotels and boy was this one of those! Amazing place. Its beautiful charm. The hotels restaurant was gorgeous! we were served by a wonderful waitress and the food was amazing!

our hotel room was on the first floor tucked in the corner. We loved the fireplace in our room and the vintage furniture 4 post bed and claw foot tub and tile from the victorian era.

With that said, we were a little freaked out as we heard the hotel was haunted. The first night I couldnt sleep because of the stories we had heard, but the next night I was out like a light! Great location, great price, great experience!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Vivian G

Dear Vivian,

Terribly sorry you couldn't sleep at night due to our "friendly" ghosts. don't worry the ghost stays in the room "407" according to the stories. Love it or hate it, it's part of the 100+ year history of the hotel. I personally haven't heard/seen any ghosts though.

Still delightedly that you loved our hotel so much.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel is better than what I had expected. The room is small but I guess is good for a hotel in downtown sf?!? Just a reminder if u think that there is a stink on the sheet, make sure is not a shadow from the light first before u go down to the receptionist. The location is good; a friend said that is not in a bad area of downtown. I don't really have any compliant about the hotel except, from what I could see and maybe is just my room that there are only two outlets in the bathroom; good luck if u have a lot of electronics that need to be charged. Also maybe the hotel is older; they don't have good sound insulation. I didn't really encounter the sevice here but seems like they are nice people.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Catwoman3713

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I landed a Hotel Majestic reservation from Priceline. This is a retroactive post as I kept my notes on the hotel from the note app I had on my phone. I stayed here August 15-18, 2012. I stayed in room 215 which faced the front of the hotel, Sutter Street. If you’re a light sleeper, bring earplugs, as you hear all the street traffic out front. This hotel is ok for a short stay. Not recommended for lengthy stays. It’s a somewhat better than a shared hostel.

The Good:
The Hotel Majestic is in a great location; t’s close to Japantown (walking distance) and not too far from Union Square.

It’s also close to major bus lines like the 38 Geary which is great for getting around the city.

There is wifi internet access in rooms.

The Meh:
If you’re used to ‘business class’ travel then you’ll find the furnishings and decor old and in need of updating/replacement.

The main lobby/reception area has a computer station and printer which I used to print receipts and confirmations for tours and such, but be forewarned, it’s not very private. The Lobby sitting area is small but generally underused.

My room was small but cozy for one person, I think sharing the room would move this to the “too small” category.

The hotel staff are generally helpful with your requests, but for the most part they are mainly students just earning their keep. The housekeeping staff are friendly.

The Bad:
As mentioned, my room was noisy. Not because of my neighbours, but you could hear outside traffic all the time.

No breakfast included. There was complimentary coffee (I think) at the side of the bar at the entrance to the restaurant. I helped myself and no one said anything.

I was put off by what looked like vomit stains on one of the white curtains by the window. That cast heavy doubt on the cleanliness of the rest of the room so I tossed aside the top blanket and roll cushions into the closet.

As there was no built-in closet in the room there was a standing wardrobe which was rickety and shaky. Not that you’ll be bringing heavy winter coats on your trip, but an fyi in case you’re travelling with suits and heavy clothing for formal events.

As a female, I immediately noticed that there’s not enough hooks or racks in the bathroom. Here’s a tip for the hotel, if you want I conserve on laundry for towels, how about installing some more hooks and rails so that they can be dried properly & reused?

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that doesn't face the front of the building.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank herroyalmelness

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review. We try to accommodate all guests as best we can. I will definitely comb through all the details and make sure they are taken care of.