“Old World Charm”
Review of Hotel Majestic

Hotel Majestic
Ranked #119 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I managed to book this hotel through LuxuryLink.com back in 2006. My bid was for a normal room but the hotel was gracious enough to upgrade our family to a beautiful suite. The hotel was undergoing some renovation at the time so there was a bit of noise due to the contractors' equipment. Unfortunately, we did not get to enjoy the restaurant dining area as it was the subject of the renovation. We had to have our breakfast in what seemed to be a meeting room of some sort. The hotel is comfortably located in an area where walking the streets at night proved to be quite an experience. Having visited San Francisco from my home in Portugal but having been raised in California, I was accustom to night critters roaming about. My companion was not and he was amazed to see raccoons trying to get into trash cans on the street. All in all a really good time and worth another stay!

Room Tip: Try and get upgraded if you can, it is well worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We apologize for the inconveniences. Our restaurant is renovated and everyone enjoys dining there. Hope to see you soon and try our meals in our restaurant!

Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is old and looks old. The rooms are typically ancient. I had an extra bed in my room, I think it should have been tidied before the arrival but obviously it hadn't been done. There is only one lift and it takes ages to come! Anyway, it was still clean, the location is good because it allows you to go to different parts of San Francisco using the public transports. I found the employees not that eager to help, every time I asked for help or any information, I felt like I was bothering them, I nearly felt sorry to ask them for help! I don't think I'd go back there again.

• Stayed: December 2012
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2014

We apologize for the inconvenience. Our staff is always willing to help. They love helping our guests get around the area so they can enjoy their trip instead of worrying about getting lost. Our hotel is a short walk to Union Square and all the busy streets. We are located in a quieter, safer area.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Was booked through Priceline, so the hotel was a most pleasant surprise. The hotel is a gem from yesteryear. If you are a traveller who likes cookiecutter, pristine digs like Marriott, then this is not for you. Instead, one finds a hotel with charm, character and history. The quaint elevator is a work of art painted in 1924. The furnishings and fixtures are kitchy, fun and unique. OK, so a carpet may be a little frayed, but the bed was wonderful. The rooms are quite small, almost European, but quite fun for the two of us.

The staff went out of their way to be pleasant. I had to print quite a few documents; I asked if I could pay for them, but the front desk person said that it was the hotel's pleasure to make the service available to me.

The Butterfly Bar was great, except for the TV going.

All in all, quite special.

Room Tip: Top floor as the floorboards may be squeaky.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
PatelVik16, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Majestic, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us! We appreciate that you enjoyed our hotel and the beautiful decorations we included for our guests. We are always delighted to help our guests in any way possible. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The hotel has all the old world charm advertised but we could have done without the water stained sheets! The hotel is slightly out of the centre but on transport routes and not that far to walk either. The valet parking is also really useful.
The barman is a real character but it doesn't open on sundays.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying us. We are glad that you liked our hotel. We apologize about the water stained sheets. We will most definitely look most carefully at our bed sheets before we put them on. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Avoid. Upon entering the hotel you are overwhelmed by the smell of curry. Then you get on the only elevator which is old, small and dirty. There is old, dirty and smelly carpeting everywhere. This is not antique old-world charm, it's neglect. Entering my first room I noticed the bedding and pillowcases had very noticeable yellowish stains (how old are these?). I requested that they change everything, but since the entire housekeeping staff already being gone for the day (at 6pm) they assigned me to another room. This one had a clean bed at least. The next evening I noticed the bed was higher (new mattress, no ladder provided, so I have to jump up to get on the bed). Windows open upwards and can't stay open. They don't close properly so there is lots of street noise. Location is not great either, long walk from a muni or bart station.
I checked out a day earlier even though my stay was prepaid because I hated this place.

Room Tip: Avoid unless you absolutely love antique, run down and possibly moldy places.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank MaxxMontreal

We apologize for your inconveniences and that you felt that way. I am sure that our hotel and rooms are always clean.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my first visit to San Francisco and the stay was made even better with the stay at Hotel Majestic. An old fashioned hotel with a history. I would definitely come back. The service was great too.
It's easy reach to the tourist 33-43 piers, get a day bus pass or three day one. This allows entitlement to all the MUNI buses and cable buses. This is a good half hour walk. Downtown is about a fifteen minute walk.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank brummieboy76

Thank you so much for staying with us and see you soon!

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

this hotel needs to train their employees better. the front desk was awful! the first room had broken matress, the front desk sent someone up to check. the other employee told the front desk that the matress was indeed broken. the front desk didnt want switch us to another room until the other employee advocated for us. then, at check out, the same guy on the front desk wasnt willing to print us a copy of reciept. he argued with us for 5 min just for a copy of reciept. moreover, the maid in our room was so lazy. she only made our bed n replenish the towels. all the garbage we had on the table was left at where it was. very disappointed about this hotel. will never visit again!

1  Thank Vicky P

We apologize for the inconveniences. I am sure that our staff members are always doing their job with a smile. None of our mattresses were broken and we always give our guests their reciepts with out any trouble.