“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

Excellent room, continental breakfast, staff, wine happy hour and location. Highly recommend it.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mayzinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Sorry I am just writig this-but I wanted to write a review about teh Inn. We stayed there for 3 nights in Nov 2008. It was an excellent find.

We went to the wine country for a few days and then came in to the city. We hate big, chain hotels; so this was perfect. It is a GREAT location...we literaly walked across the street to catch the trolly or go shopping. We were a block away from the Chinatown gates...

The staff was very professional and courteous; they helped with directions, suggested some great restaurants, and jazz clubs. They even helped my boyfriend with the 'proposal plan'!

The rooms were well maintained. I noticed there were children staying in the hotel-but I never heard them. And the happy hour was a perfect way to start the evening. They had some great wines out!

If you are looking for a W or Hyatt type of place-this isn't your route. But if a boutique type hotel is your style-this is a great find!

4 Thank Winerunna
London
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Cant say enough about this hotel. Excellent location, friendly staff who couldnt do enough for us. The rooms aren't massive but hey when you have a great city like San Fran at your door why would you want to stay in the room. Bed was super comfy!
We got a great deal on hotels.com which basically gave us our third night for free so was excellent value. Only thing I would say is that as breakfast is on each floor we were in one of the rooms near the breakfast room so could hear them setting it up. On the plus side they serve wine and cheese in the same place in the evening so we were closest to that ;-) But this is all about location, 30min walk to Fisherman's whalf, shopping at the front door, and a tram stop in stumbling distance.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wanttocitall
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We were in town for a wedding and wanted to stay someplace quiet - which can be hard to do in the vicinity of Union Square. But we found this tiny (TINY) little oasis and were mostly delighted with the experience. It was blissfully quiet - amazing since we were staying there on Halloween and the night after (and Halloween in SF can be pretty wild). Sadly, our room had zero view - but it was worth it for the peace. While there is nothing grand about the place, it's elegant and charming, and the staff is first-rate. Keep in mind it has a blink-and-you-miss-it entrance; we drove around for a while looking for a GREEN awning as it said on its website, when it was actually dark red!

Some relatively small issues: I had reserved a King bed well in advance, but when we arrived, we were told that due to construction, our room was no longer available, so we were put in a Queen, which turned out okay (and the cost was reduced). Also, our phone blinked continuously, even though we had no messages. No one could figure out why. Finally - and this one REALLY irked me: We paid about $36/day for the valet service (a real deal in Union Square, amazingly) and as they brought the car around after we checked out, we jumped in....only to find the front passenger seat SOAKING WET. It had rained heavily that weekend and apparently no one had bothered to ensure the windows were closed. We were also under the impression that the car would be in a covered structure! I complained (though not formally) and hoped for a partial refund of the parking fee, but none was forthcoming. It was a bad way to end what was essentially a delightful stay. Some advice: Be sure to check your windows are CLOSED TIGHT when you hand over the keys to the valet!

• Liked — Very quiet - NO street noise, and little from inside the hotel.
  • Disliked — The valet not checking to see that all windows were CLOSED prior to parking - one side got very WET!!!!!!
2 Thank kac2000
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Stayed at the Inn for 5 nights in early November and had a great stay. As mentioned in previous reviews this is great hotel and I agree with all the positive comments. It isn't a large 5 star property, but great value for money.

The breakfast and drinks at night are great. All staff are extremely friendly and go out the way to help you.

There was some confusion when making our booking so we were promptly upgraded at no charge.

I would highly recommend if you are looking for value for money (and happy not to stay in a large hotel) in a great location.

• Liked — Location, Extra (breakfast/drink at night)
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Always_on_holidays
New Mexico
Reviewed December 14, 2008

I have been coming to this Inn off and on for the last 10 years. My most recent trip was a great disappointment as I see that the quality of the rooms are not of the same standard the first time I reserved a room.
I noticed that the fixtures were worn and the carpeting was a berber type rather than plush carpeting. Everything looked somewhat dated and lower quality.
The breakfast, tea and turn down are also somewhat of a lower standard compared to my first stay here.
The rooms and hallways and elevators are narrow as mentioned in all the posts, however what I like most about this place is the sense of intimacy and personalization. The staff does make you feel like a guest in their "home".

• Liked — location, personalization, small number of guest rooms
  • Disliked — small rooms
1 Thank amyart
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 5, 2008

The Inn is definitely one of the smallest hotels I have stayed in within the US within recent memory. You know, that can be good or bad. If you want to be anonymous it might be bad. I was in San Francisco on business, attending a conference at the Marriott but chose to stay here based on the reviews. The Marriott was a half mile walk, by the way. And the Marriott is a Marriott is a Marriott. Switching it up can be good.

Check in went fine. They did not have my hotel website reservation in their system. After asking me if I had I confirmation, I showed them the reservation I had printed out and brought along from home. Not sure where the disconnect was, but this was a Monday and there were probably less than 10 rooms occupied. I don't know what they would have done if it was the weekend (they said they were going to be completely booked).

The hotel is small. The lobby is small. The hallways are small. The room is small. The bathroom is small. The elevator is small and slow. But, the room is nicely appointed, clean and had a very large and really comfortable bed. When I first saw the shower I said "what?!?, you're kidding" as it is tiny by most standards. But, it got the job done and the water pressure could clean an elephant. The TV, a Dell flat-screen was nice and it didn't have that whole hotel interface crap on it, it was just a TV with channels like you have at home. Turn down service with water and chocolates was great!

The touches that I really appreciated and don't find often if ever at a hotel:

You see the same people working there all the time. They all ask how you are, if you need anything at all, and are super polite (from the front desk to the maids). Did I mention super polite? The wonderful and bountiful breakfast spread in the morning on each floor. I could smell the coffee wafting into my room from down the hall in the mornings. The fact they give you a real newspaper in the morning and not USA Today. The wine and hors d'oeuvres in the evening. The call you get from the front desk the night before checkout asking if you need a wake-up call or taxi. The cute little fireplace in the sitting room on each floor.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business