“Great hotel in SF”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, TX
“Great hotel in SF”
Reviewed October 18, 2008

This was a great hotel. We stayed for a convention at Moscone Ctr - a very nice 3-4 bloc walk past the glitz and glam of Union Square. You catch the cable cars on the corner - either the Powell/Mason line or the Powell/Hyde line, and up the hill is the California line. We stayed with a 12 month baby - room was big enough for us, a crib, his stroller, a carseat, no sweat. The room backed up to a brick wall, so was easily pitch black with blackout curtains in the middle of the day - couldn't ask for better naptime. Breakfast, to include assorted pastries/bagels/croissants/cereal/yogurt/coffee/juice, every morning, and wine (chardonnay/merlot/cab sauv), cheese, grapes, dried fruit every night. Served at common areas on certain floors, was a great way to meet and talk with others on the floor. Reminded me of a small hotel in Paris in the 14th Ar. but in SF. Easily walkable to Powell BART to get to airport or elsewhere. A 7 day passport, $24, paid for itself with $5 cable car rides on nearly a daily basis. Tons of great restaurants within a 3 block radius. Would stay again in a heartbeat. Love the city, now have a great place to stay in the city.

• Liked — Included breakfast and evening hors d'ouevres
  • Disliked — none
1 Thank oski99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oakville
Reviewed October 16, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a cozy intimate hotel with a central location for sightseeing. Both of us travel extensively for business and understood that this hotel would be less extravagant than many corporate hotel selections. The Inn delivered exactly what we'd expected and more. It is in a great location for walking, it is very small and definitely a historic “inn” like atmosphere versus the cookie cutter big hotel chains. The staff was helpful and most accommodating to all our requests. There was a young lady at the front desk with less experience during the day; however, she did here best to retrieve information when her experience limited her. The breakfast and wine & cheese are relatively simple but do the trick - we weren't expecting to get a lavish spread at the hotel based on the room rate. The breakfast is definitely enough to get you started for the day and the wine & cheese was a nice break before we headed out for a late dinner. You have the choice of sitting in a small reception area on each floor our their are trays to take your breakfast to your room. The rooms are relatively small and quaint - the cleanliness was very good, a little wear and tear on the carpets but the rest of the room was impeccable. We're both regular exercise fanatics and the hotel does provide vouchers for $15 at a near by health club that is excellent. Don't expect much information for running/walking; you'll need to figure it out on your own. Great Value, Great Spot, would highly recommend for couples - a little close quarters for kids I think.

• Liked — Location and historical inn atmosphere
  • Disliked — a little more information for travelers e.g. restaurants, walking routes
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern California
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Cmon whats not to like? In a city filled with fleabag dumps and overpriced rooms, this is a breath of fresh air.
Just a half block off Union Square this place is close to anything you need in the city.
It's next door to Mortons! (Personally, when I'm in SF I don't eat at chains but hey if ya need a good steak and don't know where to go!)
Rooms are quite large for an older "real" SF hotel; it was remodeled just a few years ago. Not much in the way of a view (it is only 6 stories high mind you) but I requested a quiet room so we were in the back. I've stayed in rooms with a view and the constant din of the city can be annoying. We stayed at the St. Francis a few years back in a corner room and the constant rumble and clang of the cable cars was romantic at first but after about 3 hours....... grrrrr
The staff here is gracious and will take care of your every need. Cookies and snacks, wine and cheese, water and chocolates in your room. The nice thing is........shhhhhh THEY ACTUALLY ENJOY WORKING THERE! Now thats a revelation these days in the sterile hotel/motel world....

• Liked — Location and the size of the rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shiloh8912
Stockholm, Swe
Reviewed October 13, 2008

My husband and I are from Sweden and we made a roadtrip by the west coast the summer of 2008. Unfortunately the weather was not too good, but this hotel made our experience absolutely great!! It must be the best hotel we've ever stayed at!

First of all the location is great. It is absolutely close to everything!! close to shopping, to restaurants, etc. The location couldn't be better!

When we first arrived to the hotel we met an awesome guy in the reception, so relaxed and helpful. He upgraded our deluxeroom to a suite. And he asked if this was ok, ok?!! Of course it was ok, more than ok! Every morning we met this guy (unfort. we cannot recall his name) or another guy (who's name we don't remember either). They were really friendly!! The breakfest at the hotel was great, the best breakfeast we've ever tasted. The wine tastening in the afternoons were great!! And the chocolate and water bottles that were delivered to the room in the afternoon were superb!

This hotel had all these extra small things that makes a stay so wonderful! It was a fantastic experience!

Today I recommended the hotel to a college, who will be travelling to SF in may next year. I told her, she will not be dissapointed!! If I go back to SF, I will definitely stay at the Inn at Union Square again! Fabolous! Thanks guys for giving us some splendid days in one of the worlds nicest towns!

• Liked — Location, friendly staff, best breakfest and best winetasting
  • Disliked — In our bedroom we noticed a humming sound coming from outside in the nights. It was not that nice...
  • Stayed June 2008
beatricepugzilla
Reviewed October 12, 2008

Stayed here from a Tuesday to a Friday based on the reviews I read here. Usually stay in a Kimpton or the W and thought I would try a different route. Sure am glad I did - everything from the staff to the rooms was top notch. Walked everywhere I needed to go including my SF office about 3/4 mile away. Although the one time I did need a cab it was easy to flag. All the extras plus the staff make this place so great. How I missed that the hotel was not air conditioned - I have no idea - but I am glad I missed it since it would have kept me from staying. Now that I have been, I did not even miss the AC - an open window is all that was needed. Migh be a little warm during the summer though. Would I say here again? Without a doubt. i have also recommended the place to one of managers who will be moving from the W to this place!

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — no AC - but not needed
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed October 8, 2008

We were part of our small law firm's "retreat" in San Francisco (spouses included) - about 12 people in our group.
Before we got there I thought it may be a little pricey, however by the time we add in the extras provided (continental breakfast on each floor's lobby and afternoon wine and cheese again on each floor), the value truly begins to show. Oh - also chocolate chip cookies late at night on each floor as well. Much more touring and shopping time for us without having to go out to buy breakfast first.
The rooms are smallish however very European in feel - and very luxurious - first class furnishings.
The location couldn't be better either. All the Union Square attractions are within a five minute walk, the cable car line is only a half block away and we found the pleasant walk down Market Street to the Ferry Terminal only took about a half hour.
Very excellent restaurants are everywhere near this hotel - one on either side as it happens.
The staff at the hotel treated us very well - I felt completely pampered and secure. They also knew what was happening in town, where it was and how to get there. We had pre-booked all our dining engagements so didn't have an opportunity to test the staff but we're pretty sure they wouldn't have had any problems keeping us happy.
I admit I'm a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to vacations but my wife and I would return here in a minute (and on my dime!) - huge bang for the buck!

• Liked — Very Peaceful, quiet and secure while still in the middle of the action
  • Disliked — Could use air conditioning
1 Thank PainterGuy_8
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed October 6, 2008

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to San Francisco and we enjoyed our time at the Inn at Union Square. We found the Inn from our research on TripAdvisor so we knew it would be a small hotel, but our room was still a bit smaller than we expected. It worked fine as a home base for our sightseeing though.

Our room was at the end of the hall where the breakfast was served, but since we were coming from the east coast we were always awake before we heard them setting up around 7:00.

The gathering area on our floor was a neat way to exchange experiences with other guests. It was fun to compare notes at the end of the day over a cup of hot tea or glass of wine.

The lack of air conditioning led to one of our pleasant experiences while in the room. We would open the door on occasion to get the breeze from the hall to cool the room down. One evening a staff member passed by and commented on the nice, cool breeze with the windows open and then came back with several extra bottles of water for us.

Omar always seemed to be at the front desk when we passed by and was always friendly and helpful.

Overall - nice, clean hotel in a great location. Friendly staff that was happy to help out. I can't really compare to the other hotels in the area (although we did walk through the Fairmont, but if you are staying there you probably aren't worried about TripAdvisor). I would definitely recommend giving the Inn at Union Square a look if you are heading to San Fran.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — smallish room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple