The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My daughter and I recently spent 3 nights at The Inn and couldn't have been happier. It was our first trip to San Francisco, and the staff went out of their way to help us get to where we wanted to go. The complimentary breakfast, which is a help yourself Continental Breakfast was a great way to meet the other guests, as was the wine and cheese in the evenings. The hotel also has fantastic home baked cookies every night, and fresh fruit you can help yourself too. It was fantastic to also have various teas to choose from and not just filter coffee, which is not an easy thing to find in the U.S. Apart from the food and beverages on offer, the hotel itself is extremely clean, friendly and certainly met all our needs, The free wifi was also a bonus, as was the location of the hotel. I have already recommended this hotel to friends flying to San Fran, and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are so pleased to hear of your great experience at the Inn at Union Square. We sincerely appreciate you recommending the Inn to your friends and we promise to take equally good care of them. We are happy you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, wine hour and WiFi as well as our great location and clean rooms and of course, the home baked cookies each evening. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn at Union Square for two nights and loved it. It is a quaint little hotel with everything we needed. For us, the main draw card of the hotel was the central location however we were very pleasantly surprised by the tasteful interior of our room and the yummy breakfast. Our stay was topped off by meeting Wayne (the Inn Keeper) on our final day; he, like the rest of the staff at the Inn, was very helpful! I was definitely recommend the Inn at Union Square to my friends and family, and if we make it back to San Francisco, I would stay here again.

My only feedback to the Inn would be that we would have liked our room serviced while we were out, however, we chose to keep the "Do not disturb" sign on our door throughout the day as we didn’t feel it necessary to have our towels changed but there was no option to indicate this (there was only an option not have the bed sheets changed). Other than that, everything was perfect! Thanks for a great stay!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed 4 nights and had a wonderful experience in my upgraded room. I checked in at night to the smell of home-baked cookies (served each evening) and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, wine & cheese, and tea & cookies. The location was central in the City and the staff were extremely courteous. They don't have room service, but they were happy to bring me up a yogurt and fruit for a snack.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We were celebrating the last two nights of our honeymoon, and we were graciously upgraded to a larger room. There was a bottle of champagne and box of chocolates waiting for us. So, take all that away and I still LOVED the hotel. Everyone was super friendly, the continental breakfast was great, and the location was perfect. Each person working at the front desk greeted us happily, asked how our day/evening was going, and gave great recommendations for restaurants, things to see, and how to get around. I wish we could have stayed longer than two nights!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Dear Guest,
Congratulations on your recent nuptials and we are so pleased to have been a part of this memorable event. Our location in the center of the city and our added extras such as complimentary breakfast are popular reasons for guests to choose us for their San Francisco accommodations. We hope to have the pleasure to serve you again when travels return you to San Francisco. Perhaps for your anniversary???

Reviewed November 23, 2013

The staff of this hotel is outstanding but the location isn't the best at night. My biggest problem with this hotel is that there is no A/C. I am prone to night sweats and all they could offer was a fan which unfortunately didn't cut it. I had to check out the next day. If not for the AC and the location this hotel would have been very good. The greatest asset of this hotel beyond a doubt is the staff. They went out of their way to try and accommodate me and I truly appreciated that but the heat was too much for me.

Room Tip: Keep in mind this hotel has not A/C and the location is not the best at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ic1323
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Wow our first time in San Francisco and when I looked at the reviews on tripadvisor, I knew I could not go wrong with The Inn at Union Square. Location was perfect, the rooms were so clean and the staff were not only friendly but helpful. Wholesome breakfast, so lovely with the hotel putting on wine and cheese between 5 and 7 pm and the beautiful smell of home cooked biscuits for supper at 8.45 pm.Thank you to Anna, Omar and Ken who made our stay so enjoyable. I have no hesitation in recommending The Inn to anyone and I will definitely be staying next time we are in San Francisco. Thank you The Inn at Union Square.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susy C
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Susy C.,
We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. From our complimentary breakfast, wine and cheese hour, and fresh baked cookies to our great location and friendly, helpful staff, we strive to be the traveler's number one choice for lodging in San Francisco. Recommending our hotel is the ultimate compliment and we thank you for that. On behalf of Ann, Omar, Ken and the rest of the staff, we look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was our first visit to the San Francisco Area and I had looked on trip advisor for reviews.
My first impression was Uh-Oh- the elevator was a little slow and creaky (if you've been you know what I mean) and the door wouldn't close..hmm.. I'm thinking..mistake.. We got to our room and it was absolutely perfect in every way! Clean, Fresh, Bright, Nice bed linens, Nice towels, just great. The evening wine and cheese, Very nice, Continental Breakfast was also very nice.
Fresh pasties fruits, cereal, etc..different choices every morning. Would I visit again? YES YES!! The elevator was just minor because we enjoyed the hotel and staff so much!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Kathleen T.,
Thank you so much for your recent visit, your review and for looking past our vintage elevator and having such a wonderful experience at the Inn. From our personalized service to our complimentary breakfast and evening wine hour to our impeccable and comfortable rooms, we strive to provide every guest with exceptional service. Planning a return visit is the ultimate compliment for a hotel and we look forward to hosting you again when travels return you to San Francisco.