“Great little gem in San Fran”

The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #4 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Great little gem in San Fran”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at the inn for four nights. Fantastic location located near union square. Buses and cable cars are all nearby and very short walking distance. All staff (reception and cleaners) are all very friendly, polite, and helpful. Reception was always smiling and provided us with greater recommendations on restaurants, bars, and sights to see. Very nice touches with daily breakfasts and evening wine and cheese. It was a good opportunity to talk to other guests and the inn keeper Wayne. Fine attention to detail including free bottled water and biscuits. Any queries and requests we had were handled immediately. Highly recommend to anyone and would stay again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AndyAbroad1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Recently stayed at the Inn for 3 nights and loved it. Very central location for exploring the city.
Old world charm and quaint. All staff were welcoming and helpful, particuarly Ann at reception, her warm and infectious greeting each morning got our day off to a great start, and she was very helpful in advice on sightseeing. Our room was very comfortable, quiet and spotless. Fee wifi and complementary newspaper each day.
Breakfast each morning was beautifully set out with more than adequate choices and the complimentary evening wine and cheese impressive, and a great way of meeting other travellers and sharing stories. Our flight back to Australia was not until 8.30pm, Ann kindly offered us a very late checkout, stored our luggage.iand then invited us back to 'freshen up' and have coffee before our departure tothe airport. Thank you to all at the Inn for a wonderful stay, you are consistently receiving glowing reviews and they are well deserved. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank majella b
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind comments and for your recent stay at the Inn at Union Square. We are pleased to hear how our complimentary wifi, newspapers, evening wine and cheese reception, complimentary breakfast and our central location enhanced your visit to San Francisco. I was pleased to read that our friendly staff, especially Ann, was able to offer you helpful recommendations for sightseeing in the city. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again when travels return you to San Francisco.

Tidworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

What a great hotel! The service was exceptional as was our room; big comfy bed and good sized bathroom. The location was great - a stone throw from Union Sq and all the shops and transport links. However, it was the free wine and cheese, that was served from 1730 to 1900hrs, that did it for me. It was a really nice touch and brought everyone out of their rooms, which meant that you got to chat to the other guests over a glass or two of good wine - the best way to get information on how best to spend the rest of your time in San Francisco.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again - you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Breakfast, evening drinks and snacks are served on floors 3 & 5, so if you don't want to neg...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PM551H
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 3, 2013

From the moment of arrival to the end of our stay this place was amazing!
Walt the Innkeeper, the front desk staff, and all the other staff, treated us like family and very helpful in every way. Wayne plays an integral part in making this inn quaint and set apart from other inns or high-end hotels. He is a pleasure to speak to, and goes over and above to make your stay memorable. There is a difference to this gem of a place...there are nightly wine (and soft drink) and cheese get-togethers, which allows the guests to get to know one another, which gave us an opportunity to meet fellow guests from all over the world.
Additionally, the continental breakfast is above and beyond an I've seen before.
Rooms are neat, clean and beds are sooooo comfortable. Bathrooms are modern, with Aveda products.
Please take the time to look into staying here and make the right choice...put in your reservation here! You will not be disappointed...our group of 4 couples were all completely happy and satisfied with everything. Plus, you are right in the heart of Union Square, and yet everywhere you need to get to are easily accessible by taxi, cable car or walking!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 302, and our friends stayed in other rooms. Our room faced a wall, but was not a...
Green Features: I think they do an outstanding job being "green".
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maureen P
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Maureen P.,
Guests such as yourself are truly a rare and wonderful find as we appreciate your kind comments. Wayne and the rest of our staff strive to provide a personalized and unique stay in San Francisco and we are so pleased to hear yours was memorable in so many ways. We are happy to offer evening wine and cheese as well as our complimentary breakfast to enhance the friendly service and our great Union Square location. Looking forward to your return visit, which we hope is soon, and often.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and had a wonderful stay. The location was awesome, as we were close to the cable car line, shopping and great restaurants. Our room was spacious and well decorated. A continental breakfast was included, along with a daily happy hour. In addition, all the staff were very friendly. The only downside was an antique elevator, which wasn't always dependable and at times a little scary when it would get stuck on certain floors...like the employees only basement.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelislifegal
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Inn at Union Square. We are glad you enjoyed our extras such as our daily breakfast and complimentary evening wine hour as well as our great central location in the heart of the city. We are also pleased to hear how you enjoyed our spacious and newly remodeled guest rooms. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again when travels return you to San Francisco.

United States
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We recently rented 10 rooms at The Inn at Union Square as part of a conference. During a week when many of the "big" hotels were sold out, we found the Inn at Union Square had rooms available for our group and reasonable rates given what other hotels were charging.

Thanks to previous TripAdvisor reviews, we booked with fairly high expectations, and for the most part those expectations were met.

The hotel is very small and only one room wide, so we ended up renting out about a third of the place. Check-in was smooth and personal, and the woman at the front desk explained all the complementary amenities, including breakfast, an evening wine reception, fresh-baked cookies at night, free internet access, turndown service, bottles of water, etc. Naturally, a few of us were upgraded, and I received a very nice one bedroom suite on the fourth floor with windows overlooking the road in front and an alley in the back.

Cable cars stopped right outside the door, so all of the major tourist attractions were just a short distance away on a cable car. We also had easy access to BART and the MUNI for access to the rest of the city and Bay Area. I highly recommend getting a transit pass like we did. The front desk can tell you where to purchase them.

The windows in the rooms were old and let in a lot of noise, and there was no A/C. However; the quality of the room and the comfiness of the bed made up for any shortcomings in the environmental conditions. I had a great night sleep every night I was there!

One significant issue with my stay...

About halfway through my stay, I awoke at 3am to water dripping into my room. With no maintenance personnel on site, the night manager came up and put towels on the floor and in the tub to catch the water. The next morning, I received a personal apology and they explained that the guest above me had flooded his room (!). What the....?

Even more surprising, the same thing happened the next night, and it sounded like water was literally pouring down the walls from the room above me. I called down to the desk and they asked if I wanted them to put down towels, but I just did it myself. The next morning, I received another verbal apology.

I was pretty upset with how the situation was handled, especially since it was not resolved by the second night. The woman at the desk did offer to let me switch rooms, but only if I packed everything up -- kind of a pain. I decided to take my chances. The following night (the night before check-out), I arrived at my room to find an apology letter, a bottle of champagne, and a box of chocolates. The letter explained that they had addressed the situation with the guest above me, and they were confident the flooding would not happen again. Indeed, it did not happen again.

Any hotel can have issues with guests, and I have no idea about the situation of the guest above me -- however, the quality of a hotel is shown in how they handle the situation. Although I do feel they could have done more to address the situation after the first night, I am very happy with their resolution the second night, and I appreciate the gesture of apology.

Thanks to all the staff for a good stay, and we'll be sure to return the next time we're in San Francisco.

Room Tip: The rooms come in many shapes and sizes. Upgrades seem to be provided (without asking) if available...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TheInternationalLine
cheshire
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We spent 3 nights here at the end of our CA trip and I'd definitely recommend staying here. We stayed in a junior suite which gave us all the room we needed. Only negatives regarding the room was the lack of a view and the noise from fans outside. Breakfast was good and wine and cheese each evening was a great opportunity to meet people and share stories. Staff were superb, really went out of there way to help.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple