“Super staff & perfect hotel!!”

The Inn at Union Square
Ranked #4 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cardiff, Wales
“Super staff & perfect hotel!!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

The staff were amazing, they greeted us with a smile and nothing was ever to much trouble. Big shout to Oliva who was amazing when we checked it. The location is right on Union square and the tour buses all stop within a block of the hotel and there are places to eat and drink in the evenings also within a block and also next door for Morton's which you can also have as room service. The room we had was large and had all things needed I.e hair dryer, iron & even robes!! The wine evenings & cookies were just the perfect finishing touches to a perfect hotel. If I ever come back to San Francisco then this is the only hotel I would come back to!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank robbie_1_2002
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review. I was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our location just off Union Square, our generous amenities and special extras such as evening wine hour and late night cookies. On behalf of Oliva and the rest of the staff, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Inn at Union Square

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were a little disappointed with our choice of this hotel. At the end of a long trip around NorCal, we should have gone for something more upscale and luxurious, so it’s entirely our fault, but we had a booked a suite so had expectations of some luxury - and we paid enough $$ for it, or so we thought.

The suite, however, consisted of two small rooms (a living area and a bedroom), neither of which were really big enough for their purpose, plus bathroom in between. They were connected by a narrow corridor which we couldn’t both pass through at the same time.

The room was oddly situated, as it gave onto a public area which was used for a wine reception every night, and for people to eat breakfast, so it was awkward to manoeuvre through with baggage, and a little embarrassing to know there was a gathering just the other side of your door when you were having a conversation, as the walls were not thick.

The room had clearly been decorated with thought and attention, but was looking a little tired, needing a lick of paint and a new carpet. Just as we were leaving, our toilet sprung a leak so we were glad to be out of there.

On the plus side, the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly, and the wine reception and homemade cookies were really nice touches. The owners had clearly gone to great lengths to make visitors feel relaxed, and that was appreciated. The hotel’s location, practically on the corner of Union Square, was ideal for downtown access. It was our second trip to SF, and we have resolved if there is ever a third, we’d actually stay away from the downtown area as the number of panhandlers seems to have increased greatly, so we're definitely unlikely to come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't take 301.
2 Thank Janine P
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your feedback. Comments such as yours help us improve our service and facility to better serve our guests in the future. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience, from our rooms, amenities and bedding, to our service and value added extras such as complimentary breakfast, evening wine reception and "just before bedtime" fresh baked cookies. We are sorry to hear that the room's layout and location did not meet your expectations. We do have multiple room layouts within the hotel and we would be happy to find a room type and location better suited to your preferences prior to your next visit, which we hope you will consider. Thank you again for your visit and for the valuable feedback.

Hockessin, Delaware
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband was at a conference and I was basically alone for the whole time we stayed in San Francisco, but the amazing staff at the Inn made me feel safe and took such attentive care of me! They greeted us each and every time we entered and left the hotel with smiles and questions about what we were doing and where we were going. They suggested itineraries and restaurants, with each suggestion being spot on! The location is perfect - steps away from Union Square and close to all public transportation, yet once you step into the hotel you can forget you are in a bustling city with the warmth of the staff and the quiet and luxury of the space. Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to even the most discerning travelers!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your patronage of the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your comments our service and location. Our staff takes great pride and pleasure in providing personalized service to each of our guests. A recommendation is the ultimate compliment and we greatly appreciate yours.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

What a perfect little spot to be based in San Francisco for four nights. The location couldn't have been more central with all the shopping and restaurants around the corner. The inn was quant and we loved the thoughtfulness of having complimentary drinks and nibbles every evening which meant we could meet and chat to other travellers. The staff were very friendly and helpful and had a great knowledge of the area and all the tourist attractions. We are telling all our friends that this is the best place to stay and we would definitely make a return trip there.

Room Tip: Don't be expecting any views from your room but the location makes it all worthwhile
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaveLou37
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 1, 2013

From the moment we checked in, until after we checked out, the staff were tremendous. This is a small, almost European style hotel - narrow corridors, old slow lift, not like a large chain hotel at all - and this only added to its appeal. Free wifi, breakfast included in room price, and complimentary evening wine and nibbles were all great. Wayne, the "innkeeper" was friendly and a mine of great local knowledge every evening at the drinks on Floor 3. We got great tips on nearby places to eat every evening (there is no in-house restaurant), and were thrilled with his recommendations. Location is excellent, basically right on Union Square, with its cable car stops and numerous taxis available. It was also surprisingly quiet at night. They gladly held our bags on the day we left, allowed us to use the 2nd floor lounge during the day, and sorted our taxi to the airport. We will definitely come back on our next trip to San Francisco.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I know this review is a little long, but things like this rarely, if ever, happen- so I hope someone can appreciate the detail and find it helpful in making a choice to visit this lovely Inn.
Let me start by saying I have traveled quite a bit and have been lucky enough to stay in many 5 star hotels with impeccable service, ie, Four Seasons, mandarin , ritz, ect...
My wife and I were really wanting more of a boutique experience on this trip, so we made a commitment to this Inn based on the reviews and my wonderful interactions with the staff over the phone while planning my trip. After a long day of travel I arrived, greeted warmly and checked in by Ann (who is quite possibly the most bubbly, happy and kind person alive). Once I got to the room, which was a large, beautiful and well appointed suite- I began looking for the thermostat. (SIDEBAR: I am a big guy and love my rooms much cooler than average.) I couldn't locate it so I called down to Ann and she begrudgingly informed me there was no AC in the hotel. This makes perfect sense because it is ALWAYS mild here with cool nights, and I am very much an outlier when it comes to my room temperature preferences. Needless to say, I was very disappointed because of my high anticipation of the stay. Of coarse this was not their fault, it was my oversight, and false assumption and lack of perperation. I was then quickly visited by Wayne, the manager / inn keeper , who offered to do everything in his power to make it work, but based on the length of my stay (10 days) , I knew I needed a different option, but I felt very guilty because they had been so gracious and kind in every way.
**So with that background here is the shocker:
**Not only did they not charge me for my cancellation (which was absolutely their right),
**Wayne invited me back anytime during my stay in the city to enjoy their wine and Hors d'oeuvre's so I could really experience all that the hotel had to offer. (Even though I was switching hotels).!!!
** next, he told me to please give him advance notice on my next visit and he will make every effort to have an "in room" portable AC UNIT!!!
** then, he helped me with my baggage and got me a cab to another property nearby.!!!
THIS WAS BY FAR THE MOST SELFLESS, HOSPITIBLE, AND GENUINELY DECENT EXPRESSION OF SERVICE I HAVE EVER RECIEVED.
I will recommend this lovely property to anyone I can, and I will surely be back in the future.
Thank you Wayne, Ann, and the whole staff for turning a disappointing situation into such a wonderful example of true care,service, and pride in your product and concern for your patrons. ZC

Room Tip: The suite was amazing and very large.
5 Thank FlyJetEquity
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experience with the Inn at Union Square. Our staff strives to provide every visitor with an exceptional experience in San Francisco and truly enjoys providing their genuine hospitality to each guest. We are sorry we could not accommodate you during this visit however look forward to welcoming back during a future stay in San Francisco

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Awesome hotel steps from Union square. Very down to earth, comfortable, quiet and a retreat from the city while in the city. Great service. Great having breakfast and wine tasting daily. It was great coming back to this hotel after a long day of sight seeing. Would highly recommend this hotel and will be back!

• Stayed May 2013