“Happy repeaters”

The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Some history. In July 2010, my early-20's daughter and I stayed in San Francisco for four nights as part of a two-week California trip. I selected the Inn at Union Square primarily for its location and the availability of complimentary breakfast. I was not disappointed! The clean, cozy room was quiet with a comfortable bed enhanced by incredibly soft sheets. Lighting in the bathroom area was excellent. Breakfast choices were sufficient for us. We also enjoyed the evening wine and snacks time, cookies and chocolates before bed, and friendliness and helpfulness of the front desk staff. Walking or accessing public transportation to reach our various city destinations was simple. For June 2012, I planned a three-night visit to San Francisco. No hesitation on my part where we would be staying. The Inn at Union Square was ideal again in every aspect.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Great location. As per previous reviews this hotel is small, but a great location that enabled us to sample a small piece of San Fransico action durng the limited amount of time that we had.
Our room was quiet spaceous, clean and well maintained.
Breakfast and their evening wine&nibbles provision was good, enabliing us to mix with other residents.

2  Thank Abbijoe
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is our last day at the Inn... We are simply heart broken. Ahead of us many more hotels! When we decided to opt for "cosy" as opposed to large and impersonal, little did we expect how cosy and friendly this place really was! In our experience we have never encountered anything that goes even near. Our queen room was a treat, and as if all the smiles and help we received during our stay was not enough, they give everybody "free" wine and cheese every evening? Not to come back here would be a sin. A big thank you to all the staff for having made our stay in San Francisco a truly memorable experience.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ssulliman
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The lobby is smaller than most bathrooms, which makes checking in a nightmare when there are a group of folks trying to do the same. The rooms were clean but non-descript. Service was pleasant. Close to great restaurants and shopping. I would look to something more distinctive next time I am in the city.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank oliveoil50
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I think my husband fell in love with Ann the moment she opened the door to welcome us, I didn't mind I did too. She is lovely and warm the perfect first impression for this wonderful tiny hotel. As others have said the lobby is small the hallways are narrow, which did concern us but with thoughts of Ann we continued on to find a well-appointed immaculate room. It’s not the largest we have been in but it was clearly well thought out. We found Aveda bath products, warm robes, our mattress comfortable and pillow topped, we were pleased and relieved. With Ann and Omar's help we used the 3 day Muni passes (good for Cable Car's too) and went from early morning back to the hotel for a recap with Omar or Ann and a rest then out again. We had 2 truly fabulous meals. Ann sent us to Bix an upscale speakeasy, which made us feel we were truly part of the City's nightlife. She also sent us to Quince where we had the best Italian meal of our lives (and we’ve been to Italy). We weren't around in the nighty wine and cheese but we did have a hardboiled egg and a strong Peet's coffee every morning before heading out (just two items from what I think was a very generous continental breakfast). We also were delighted to find cookies every night in the parlor on our floor and chocolates on our pillow at turndown, they of everything. This hotel is a hidden gem - where every staff member we encountered seemed to truly care about us and our well being. Thank you Ann, Omar, Josie, and all the staff members whose names I cannot recall but who made us feel so welcome, we will be back!

Room Tip: We were in a suite with a queen bed and sofa
3  Thank Pam B
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The main reason I selected this hotel is the location. To get to Yosemite I rented a car at SFO and returned it 5 days later to the car rental location on O'Farrell St. which is a 4 minute walk from the inn. The rest of our stay we used public transportation including the cable cars which was only a block and a half walk. Looking out my hotel room window I could see one end of Union Square and I looked directly at the Westin St. Francis (which I couldn't afford). For us the location couldn't be beat.

The inn itself is a narrow, older, attached building typical for SF. But it was clean and well managed. The front desk people were always helpful and courteous. Our 2 room suite was on the third floor with the living room looking out on Post St. which is a busy noisy road. But the bedroom was in the back away from the street. With the bedroom door closed we couldn't hear a thing including other rooms or guests. My wife is a very light sleeper and enjoyed the quiet. We has the best of both. We could look out the window and watch people walking down the street but close the bedroom door and sleep well.

The breakfast was pretty good and included hard boiled eggs, pastries,muffins, bagels, toast, coffee, juice... you get the idea. There was also wine & cheese in the afternoons and cookies in the evenings.

Overall I would not hesitate to stay here again. It is an older place but certainly not dated, simply pleasant & small with helpful staff in a terrific location.

Room Tip: 2 room suites in the front are noisier but the bedrooms are quiet.
3  Thank DaveFrisco_TX
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights this month. Stayed here because all the hotels were sold out in the city due to the us open golf tournament. Got lucky when calling here as someone had just cancelled their reservation. Staff was very, very nice. Nice room, comfortable bed. Continental breakfast was good each morning. Small eating area, so you have to take food back to your room. Did not take advantage of wine hour each night. No air conditioning in my room (just a ceiling fan). They offered to bring up a portable air conditioner, but at night it was not that bad so I did not bother with asking. Great location right next to union square. Morton's steakhouse offers delivery to the room (right next door). This hotel is a part of an independent rewards group called stash hotels. Never heard of that group before, but looks like a nice group of independent hotels.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business