“We splurged”

Fairmont San Francisco
Ranked #29 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My husband and I recently took a 10 day roadtrip around Northern(ish) California in late June/early July of 2014. I used Trip Advisor extensively in selecting hotels for this adventure. This review is part of that vacation. Day 4 - had 2 nights planned in the SF area and as you can imagine it's difficult to find places that are not just ridiculously expensive and since we were road tripping, we needed to park a car. That can be an additional 40-60 $$ a day. As we were about to book a hotel I had never heard of with quite the array of reviews we got this pop up offer on Hotels.com for The Fairmont. $219 a night including free parking. We took it. Again, we were not spending a lot of time in the hotel, just needed a place to sleep. It's a lovely historic hotel that is very well renovated. No counter space in the bathroom but did have a walk in closet to keep everything out of sight and the head valet is fabulous! He's been there 30 yrs and can answer any question you have about the city or getting around and was oh sooooo helpful.I'd only stay here if you get a great rate and after you compare it to some of the nearby options. We didn't have to worry about homeless folks bugging us here which was nice. It was a short cab right to some places and right on the Trolly line if you can find one that isn't full to over flowing.

Room Tip: If you get a bargain deal it probably won't have a view but those views come with a big price ta...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janet R
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thanks very much for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled you included us on your Northern California exploration and that you enjoyed your visit. I'm also happy to hear of your experiences with our valet team. I look forward to sharing your feedback with the staff, I know they'll be thrilled to hear it. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Lucas Schumacher

Write a ReviewReviews (3,464)

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Let me say that after two weeks on the road, my entire experience at the Fairmont made my life that much better.

I went to check in and the receptionist correctly informed me that my reservation was for the previous night. I had made an error while making the reservation (myself). The lady at check-in told me that see would see what I could do, and went to speak with a manager. She came back and told me there would be no charge for my error. There are few businesses today that actually want to take care of their customer. Fairmont has earned my repeat business.

I had booked a standard room. It had been recently updated and super comfortable. 100% five star.

I had a drink in the bar while I waited for a friend to pick me up. When he was there he texted me. Getting a check was promptly handled (thank you), and I was on my way.

Room Tip: 601 was very nice standard room
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your very kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a nice experience with us and that we made your trip a little bit better. We pride ourselves on service, so it's extremely gratifying to hear your interaction with the staff. I'm sure it was a great relief to have the hotel on your side in that experience and ensure your stay was a great one. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Good value for money if you get a discounted rate. Service ok and the hotel is a bit on the old side.. But, decent size rooms. Can be tough getting taxis in the morning but it is close to union square by foot (although it is quite a hike back up the hill). Overall recommend

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm pleased to hear you found the hotel nice overall and a good value. As you mentioned our location atop Nob Hill affords us some of the most stunning views of the City, but does come at the price of some steep hikes. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

A wonderfully looking hotel, ornate and impressive lobby. Service is good (not excellent), location is very good (10-15 mins walk down to Chinatown, financial district & Union Sq). However, the modernised room I had for 10 days failed to impress given the price (and no Presidents Club upgrade either). No view except other rooms, fairly small, walls paper thin, very limited cable channels (no local sports!), too few power sockets but bed was comfortable. Cafe Centro good for coffee/pastries but the famous Tonga Bar is really a dark bar with rather unimpressive rain showers every 30 mins. The maitai cocktail in a tacky, ceramic coconut shell sums up the place.

Room Tip: Modernised room I had within main building was small, faced other rooms and had thin walls.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Adie T
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I must admit that I love this hotel and have previously submitted rave reviews. However, a recent stay was most disappointing. The check in was painfully slow, inefficient, and inept. A very poor first impression. As a President's Club elite member, there was no room upgrade. The manager promised to make a room change the next day, but failed to follow up. The recently refurbished rooms are very nice, but I would recommend selecting one of the many superior hotels in SF.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank FreqTravDaddy
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Have stayed at several Fairmonts before and wasn't disappointed. They tell me this was their original property. It has a very opulent feel in reception and the room was everything it needed to be. My only complaint was going to be the lack of sockets to charge my iphone and iPad only to find two of them built into the bedside lamp on the day I left. I'll stay with Fairmont again.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. I'm pleased to hear you had a nice stay with us and will return in the future. We are indeed the original Fairmont and the flagship of the company. I'm pleased you have stayed at other Fairmont properties and you've not been disappointed. Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

THis hotel is like all Fairmont properties - grand, lavish and polished. We stayed here for 6 nights in July and had a great time - the location is perfect for both trips into the city and for trips to the wharf etc, with very good transport links around the hotel. The staff are polite and courteous and as you'd expect the food is also of very high standard.

The only disappointment/frustration I had was with the turn-down service, which was inconsistent and pretty shoddy at times. It does sound petty and like I'm nit-picking, however I travel a lot, and stay at a wide variety of hotels and this is the first on where I've actively noticed the housekeeping service was not great.

It's not going to affect the quality of your stay, but for a top-tier hotel with top-tier pricing, you expect a top-tier package overall.

Room Tip: Free wifi if you're a President's club member, otherwise it's $14 per day, which is insa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a nice time and found the location perfect. We pride ourselves on service, so it's great to hear your comments about the team. That being said, I apologize for your experience with turn down service. I've shared your feedback with the housekeeping staff and hopefully will improve upon our service levels. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.