“Amazing!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

This is my first stay at a Fairmont. Impressed? Absolutely!! The arrival was pleasant. After flight delays, etc we were greeted by a young lady at the reception desk. She had a million dollar smile, personable, not robotic and friendly. She made great suggestions on hotel dining and our trip to Napa. We received a comp upgrade to the Tiburon Suite. Breathtaking views, spacious layout and the bed was one of the most comfortable. The Fairmont service has won a guest for life. Thank you Fairmont staff for making my one night extra special.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your very kind words about the hotel. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a great first stay with us! We pride ourselves on service, so it's great to hear of our front desk agent's "million dollar smile". It's also great to hear she was so able to successfully recommend portions of your itinerary. Thanks again and we look forward to your second stay with us!
Lucas Schumacher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Irvine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The room and property looks nice. It has great decor. I like the location of the hotel. Service is mediocre; there is no special attention to service. Can hear noises outside the room. I stayed in the suite but was only impressed by the view. I had to wait several hours after check-in to get into the room.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Thoai N
Mexico CIty
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

We are Fairmont customers since long time ago and have been in several of their locations around the US and Mexico. The Fairmont in San Francisco is a historical and very recognized place, but it is not a Fairmont at it's best. The place is in a perfect location to move around the city located in Nob Hill, it is perfect to wonder around the best areas of the city. A good issue on the original building rooms where we stayed is that we asked for a room with a view, if you have an inner patio room they have an awful look of the inner building which is really unpleasant for a place like this. We didn't get to know rooms in the tower but I think those have a better comfort and space.
The hotel was allways with a lot of buzz and action ranging from weddings to conventions and private parties. Restaurant for breakfast was allways packed and they do not have enough space even using the bar tables. So we passed on having breakfast there.
Ammenities in the room are good and bed is comfortable and clean. Bathroom in our room was small for a Fairmont and even uncomfortable with the tub/shower disposition.
Dinner was excellent and well served but on the pricier side, even though very well appointed and prepared. Service on our first day was slow (very) so we decided to pass on dining in the hotel and enjoy some of the really good restaurants on the San Francisco área.
By the way if you are a sport fanatic you better wake up early the fitness room was small and completely packed after 7 am. and I couldn't make my routine but on sunday.

Room Tip: Please avoid inner patio rooms they looked small and also the view of the inner building is awful. D...
Tampa Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The room, the service, the food and the entire stay were excellent. Stayed 4 nights and the staff at the hotel could not have made us feel more comfortable. Wonderful old charm in a modern city. The only reason I do not rate the hotel excellent overall is because of my preference to do do a lot of walking in cities and to have some selection of food and night life just outside the hotel. Nob Hill is wonderful but everything in all directions is below it. This requires you to walk up hill from all directions to return to the hotel. I usually stay in the Union Square area since there is so much right outside your door there. The hotel is just wonderful But I would trade the great view from the top of the hill for not having to walk up hill at the end of my day. Great job overall Fairmont, really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get a room on a higher floor with a view. Without climbing to the top of Coit...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Normally I do not let housekeepers into the room.. We get towels and make our own bed. With the professionalism and the fact that this is one of the top hotels in the country, I stupidly did and sometime within the 4 nights of my stay, my Ipad was stolen. I used it the first night and not again after. After much runaround from security and an "investigation" I was told sorry nobody we have spoken to took your ipad. I will never stay there again nor will I ever let another housekeeper in my room. Call me paranoid but this should never have happened at such a nice hotel such as the Fairmont!

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Barbejay
FairmontSF, Online Marketing Manager at Fairmont San Francisco, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
I'm very sorry to hear of your negative experience at the hotel. We aim to provide excellent value and a secure environment to all our guests, so I'm sorry to hear of your incident. I also apologize if you felt our investigation was inadequate. We take these types of situations very seriously and our Director of Security investigated the situation to the best of his ability. Again I apologize for the negative experience and regret that you won't be staying with us again.
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed for three nights initially then added another night. The hotel position on top of Nob Hill is splendid . We requested a room with a view over the city and this we had staying in one of the refurbished rooms. Lovely decor and wonderfully comfortable bed. The breakfast selection although expensive was excellent . We had a special evening in the Tonga restaurant very enjoyable. The staff from greeting at the steps to parking the car checking in was efficient and very friendly . It was the first time we have stayed at a Fairmont Hotel but it won't be the last.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like your stay was a great one. We feel very fortunate to be located atop Nob Hill and afforded the panoramic views of the City. We pride ourselves on service, so it's great to hear of your interactions with the staff. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Torrance, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed here June 20-23, we were offered an upgrade in the new wing for $90, told Geoffrey at the front desk we would like it for $50, and he obliged. Lovely room, easy access to everything from The hill. Lots of activity in this particular hotel with weddings, parties and what appeared to be a very lively costumed charity event...fun to people watch. We had a "package" that included breakfast, and on the last day my husband sat we me as I had breakfast. Two breakfasts were charged to the bill even though I was the only one partaking. Gratuity of 15% is already added to the bill, and space left for additional gratuity. We were charged gratuity for the cost of 2 buffets (approx $80), and my husband didn't realize the error so our server, whom we had to look for...very busy, got a hefty tip. Check your bill and you'll be fine. As I said, it's a lovely hotel, and we'd stay again. Parking is not included if you have a car, so expect $64/day to park...it's a very efficient valet, and it is San Francisco.

Room Tip: Room 51 in new tower has a good view, but you can hear emergency vehicles on Powell, and on the last...