“Good location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Coleraine, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Have just spent 5 nights at the Donatello. Was fairly pleased with what was in offer. The hotel is conveniently located for Union Square just one block away.
Two negatives.
1. Would not recommend the restaurant, we decided to eat there when we arrived after a full 24 hours of travel but it was the only time we did. Was overpriced and not that great!!
2. As the hotel is close to the square it can be a bit noisy late at night. Was particularly bad on Saturday night.

Lastly watch out for the taxi service if you leave early in the morning as we did. Seems like they may have some deal going with a private hire car. Not cheap!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Norwich
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived very late off Amtrak from LA. Desk clerk friendly and comped us wine and chocolates.

The room was big and well equipped with a small kitchen area and fridge.

Hubbie loved the TV in the bathroom mirror.

Be warned. Get your bearings and check maps before you go out. A few streets out can feel scarey.

Great location for union square and trams etc. great for San Fran shops.

Best place on our trip for public transport.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Daisy_and_Politico
virginia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This property is actually several under one roof. My reservation was in the timeshare part under Shell Vacation Club. I was in 1019 which is at the far end of the hall from the elevator next to the ice machine and housekeeping storage. I never had an issue with noise from either of these. My room was very quiet. I did arrive at noon to check in which is early. I was transferring from another hotel. They checked me in, took my luggage and put it into my room when it was ready. They would have given me a room that was ready but they had just given out the last ready room available. This is usually not done with timeshares, but was really appreciated since it allowed me to get out and start seeing the city and know I didn't need to be back at 3-4 just to check in. They also asked me my preferences about room ( quiet, height, close to elevator, etc.) That may have been due to my early arrival but it was still appreciated.

The staff here are outstanding. Very friendly and very helpful. I had free wifi but they also have a computer with printer so you can print boarding passes, etc. I needed to complete some business while there so I could print what I needed and they then faxed my single page for free. This reduced a lot of stress for me. I also handed over some USPS flat rate boxes with postage attached and they passed them on for me so that I did not have to carry them for blocks. Postage was purchased in the basement of Macy's at Union Square (2-3 blocks) which has a full service and self service post office.

The location for this hotel is excellent. You are one block from Union Square and a cable car line. You are on the #2 & 3 bus line and just a few blocks from Market Street (major bus & train hub) and BART. Chinatown is within walking distance. I did most of my food shopping at the Westfield Mall which is on Market Street and has a grocery store in the basement. It is a little more gourment but still had a lot to offer. Target is directly behind that on Mission and Walgreens (also on Market) also have some food items. I bought a city pass and used public transportation all week.

I had stayed here a few years ago. The property was nice then but my unit had been redone and was very nice. Extremely comfortable king bed with nice linens and lots of pillows. Love seat that makes into a twin sleeper. Flat screen HD tv and clock radio with ipod dock. Dining table with 2 chairs, small fridge, counter, microwave, coffee pot (4 cup) with good, free coffee and 2 sets of dishes with silverware and knives. Free coffee and tea are also provided all day on the 12th floor lounge.

Bathroom was also nice with good quality towels and the coolest feature, a tv in the bathroom mirror (flat screen). Wish I had that at home. Closet area with shelves, ironing board, iron and plenty of hangers.

Some of the rooms rent as a hotel so you don't have to be in a timeshare to stay here. I can't say enough about how nice this property is. It does have a weight room & spa area but I did not use those services, too tired after all the walking.

Housekeeping comes in daily and removes trash, makes the bed and removes dirty dishes and used towels.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want. This property is not tall enough for outstanding views. Odd rooms (not...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Annette A
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I spent a week in San Fran and stayed at The Donatello. It was the perfect location. We took the cable cars almost every day, which was only a block away from the hotel. The #30 bus goes all over - and that goes directly in front of the hotel. (We had to take the bus one day because the cable cars were down). There are too many restaurants and bars within walking distance to mention. The hotel bar was a great place to end the evening. Everyone was welcoming and helpful during our entire stay. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cincydebi
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here with the hubby for four nights. Nice and close (one block away) from the cable car line and union square. Nice and quiet in our room and staff were always friendly and helpful. Lots of shopping and food places around.

• Stayed February 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 14, 2013

While Donatello may not be a 5 star hotel- our recent stay felt like a 5 star experience. We loved our spacious and comfortable room, the " kitchenette" and all all the premium channels TV . Location is hardly beatable. Most of the other hotels within the area offered for the same value much smaller rooms. We were with the small kid ( 2.5 year old) and I highly recommend stay to the people with the small kids who want/need to be in the central SF area.
Before I booked a room ,I read all the reviews, learned about the club and the noise and requested a room on the quieter side. Management was kind enough to grant my wish without any resistance. We got a really great room that overlooked Mason/Post St side. We were very happy.
Note that this is the downtown San Francisco so if you are looking for a totally soundless environment- than staying downtown overall may not be a good idea for you. City life carries its noise. We were never bother by any noise at Donatello , our toddler slept like a little lamb throughput the night.
Staff is very friendly. "Bell -boys" were very nice with my son they gave him a ride on the suitcase rack.
My husband was participating at the conference in SF and we were offered a list of the downtown hotels that had a deal with the conference. Donatello wasn't on the list - I found it on my own research and I am nor regretting for choosing it. I would defiantly stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms on the higher level overlooking on the the Post St are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank danolear
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have been using the Suites At The Wharf on our annual wine conference in SF. Since they moved from Fort Mason to the Design Center, we thought we would use our timeshare points for the Donatello since it was now closer.
Most of the older Shell Vacation properties have pretty old furniture and feel to them. We were shocked when we walked into the room to find a very contemporary room that nicely decorated (might be the same decorator as the one who did the Hyatt Regency at the Wharf).
The Staff was great, parking is $28 a night which is on the lower end for SF, they do have a restaurant and bar on the second floor. Didn't eat at the restaurant but did have a drink in the bar. Tiny but there was a small group in there so it wasn't too bad.
There is a one hour wine tasting on the 14th floor, which has a living room type of atmosphere (free coffee and tea all the time up there). The gym is also on that floor.
Great location. One block from Union Square and it's in the theatre district.
The room was comfortable and clean. The only drawback is that the hotel has single pane glass windows so street noise (vehicular and pedestrian) could be heard from our 10th floor room. Try to get the Post St side of the hotel since the clubs and other stuff is on Mason.
We will definitely come back for next year's event.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the Post St side since the Mason St side has Ruby Skye nightclub across the str...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business