WINNER WONDERLAND

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tustin, California
“Another GREAT stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

My family and I have spent the last 4 years at the Donatello either the weekend before Thanksgiving or on Thanksgiving through the weekend as our annual family trip. This year was no different than the others as far as our love for the staff and the hotel itself!

From check in, we were treated warmly, like we were visiting family and that feeling stayed with us until we checked out! The Donatello staff is extremely accommodating, friendly and helpful! I don't think we have ever encountered a staff member who was opposite of any of those things!

The rooms have been renovated since our visit last year and I have to say that we all really like what they did. The decor is more modern than what they used to have and the new room arrangement makes more sense than it used to! I really liked the new furniture and soft goods. No one can beat the comfort of the beds...I couldn't wait to get into my king size bed each night!!!

All in all, between 10 of us, there were no complaints! We have 4 kids (12, 10, 9 and 5) that travel with us each year and they ALWAYS look forward to being in San Francisco and staying at the Donatello!!

Thanks to the Donatello Staff for another successful trip!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tulip0506

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in early November 2012. From the word go we were made to feel very welcome. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Up on the rooftop, there is a room offering free tea and coffee. This is a very cosy place to retire to after a hard day's sightseeing. All in all, no complaints whatsoever about what I think is an excellent hotel located just one block from Union Square and the cable cars. It is a $10 taxi ride from the Ferry building where many tours start from. There is also a 24 hour diner a block down Mason Street called the Pinecrest where the food was delicious and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Can't help you there. I don't know.
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights recently at the Donatello. We walked the few blocks to Union Square and then over to the indoor mall, which we found impressive. There were a great selection of small restaurants there. Our room was spacious and overlooked the street. We heard some loud noise from what was apparently a trash truck in the middle of the night and noticeable street noise began about 6 am. The curtains did a good job of blocking the ilght. The room was well equipped as others have noted and the bed was very comfortable. The heating/air conditioning system was quiet and efficient. The staff were helpful. We enjoyed hot chocolate from a machine up on the top floor, where there is a lounge, an exit to the outside with partial views of the city, and a fitness center. I thought the $28 daily parking fee was excessive. The desk clerk told me the hotel did not own the parking structure, which appears physically attached to the hotel. You can call in advance to have your car brought down when leaving; otherwise there may be a wait.

Room Tip: On leaving I was told that one can ask in advance for a room away from the street noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank WStaso
Arusha, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the Club Donatello with a friend in June when I went to San Francisco for a conference. Having arrived for some time, I felt that the pictures on Booking.com didn't do it justice. I was so sorry I missed the Friday Cocktail which is organized for occupants as I left the very morning. My friend attended and she just kept going on and on about how lovely it was and how many nice people she met.The rooms are very spacious and very well kept.
I especially loved the division between the room and coffee/tea deck.
It is within walking distance of Union Square, China Town and many shops.
I absolutely loved my stay at Club Donatello.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Bonita Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed for six nights. Requested upper floor, away from elevator and ice machine and were allocated exactly that - rm 10008. One of the largest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in, with an extremely comfortable bed and linens, sofa and footstools, desk and chair, plenty of floor space, plus a wet bar area with fridge, microwave, coffee maker and sink, granite countertop and shelving space. Dishware was supplied, along with cutlery, carving knife, wine-bottle opener and dishtowels. At my request, they sent up a toaster to use during our stay.

Made a trip to the Bay St, Trader Joe's our first evening (did it by cable car from Powell, one block from hotel) and stocked up on enough food and booze to take care of breakfasts, snacks and drinks for the week! All liquor and small grocery stores near the hotel are SUPER expensive!

Bathroom was adequate, with good shower pressure and powerful hair-dryer. Small toiletries supplied. No make-up mirror, which would be a welcome addition..........

Heating system with personal temp control, a welcome addition as SF turned rainy and cool during our stay (26th Nov - 2nd Dec).

Staff were all very pleasant and helpful. There was a welcome get-together on the club level on Friday between 4pm-5pm, where the hotel provided cheese and wine and a comedian! (NO time-share spiel) Nice to meet with fellow travellers. Didn't use the restaurant or bar or any of the club level facilities, except for coffee. This hotel was a well-located base for exploring SF.

Only con for me, was the "thin" door with a gap at the bottom - could hear all noise in the corridor at all hours.........other guests plus hotel staff. It's in the centre of the city, so one expects street noise, but that wasn't really a problem, except some sirens in the wee hours.....

Would highly recommend this hotel.

Happy travels! Mags

2 Thank bridgenut
Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed at the Donatello Hotel as part of an Interval exchange over Thanksgiving week. It is just two blocks from Union Square on Post Street. I grew up in SF and the Donatello reminds me of one of the lovely hotels back 'in the day.' It is charming, with an excellent staff who are always trying to provide that little bit of extra assistance. Our accommodations were newly remodeled and very urbanesque. I was surprised at the generous size of the room. For you exchangers out there, this hotel provides daily light housekeeping; something not generally found and very welcome. We had no difficulty finding great restaurants in the area for all meals. We did not eat at the hotel because the menu was not enticing for us. We felt safe in the area at night; however, remember that this is a large metropolitan city and you should always be cautious. Because the area backs up to the Tenderloin, you will definitely get your ration of homeless and other nuisance panhandlers. As a woman, a simple but firm "NO, back up" works just fine. Do try this hotel you will be pleased.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Mason Street where a local nightclub is located (Ruby Skye) and gets very noisy b...