“Good location, great hostel”

USA Hostels San Francisco
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We stayed here for 3 days in September. To be honest, I don't think it is that cheap for a private room with ensuite here, but it is cheaper than most other hotels in San Francisco, so I guess it's good value for the area. And we were very happy with our room which had everything you need in a place you are only really in to sleep in anyway. It had tv, bathroom, minifridge, microwave and a decent bed. No airconditioning was the only problem and I guess most of the time they don't need it, but at least we could open a window.

The room was great but this is not the only good thing about this hostel. The layout is fantastic - one of the best hostels I have ever seen for excellent set up. The party areas are far from most sleeping areas and are extensive. There are smoking rooms, lovely laundry area, internet rooms, a huge kitchen and sitting area, a theatre room ... it really is a wonderful place to stay. I am not young but I really liked it and if I was a young person I would think I'd found hostel nirvana.

On top of these features, the staff are EXCELLENT. Every one of them was great and it is always good to meet young people who are switched on, friendly and happy. Some of them were particularly helpful.

The location is good - there is a convenience store across the road and it is only a couple of blocks to Union Square and transport. I would definitely stay here again if visiting San Francisco because it really had a great vibe.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed September 20, 2010

Nice place to go if you are younge, don't wanna to pay so much, and wanna meet peopleo from all over the world.

Great and helpful staff, nice, safe and clean rooms and perfect fun area!

I would be back to this place

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed at the USA Hostel SF because we wanted to do 3 days of sightseeing in SF during a three week trip through California. I stumbled upon the hostel and although I hadn't stayed at a hostel for years we gave it a try. And I can absolutely recommend it to people who don't need much luxury but a clean, basic accommodation in a great location. We stayed in a private room on the first floor. The room was tiny, but very clean - especially the newly renovated bathroom. There was a daily cleaning service and linens and towels were provided. The window of our room went towards an air vent - not a beautiful view, but on the other hand no street noise either. The staff was very nice and helpful. The location is about three blocks from Union Square and easy to reach by public transport. There are also a number of reasonably priced, but good restaurants in the area. As for staying at a hostel for the first time in years: yes, there probably was more noise than in a hotel, but it was absolutely quiet enough to sleep between 11 pm and 7 am.
I would definitely stay there again! If you think about it too, you might want to ask for a room away from the elevator since it makes quite some noise going up and down the building.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank corry75
Reviewed September 17, 2010

What a great hostel! Friendly, efficient and helpful staff and brilliant amenities. Certainly one of the better places I've stayed. Great big kitchen with plenty of utensils (though it can get pretty crowded at breakfast time), nice quiet library if you want to read, movie theatre if you feel like a DVD and heaps of organised activities.

Cons: a bit pricier than the other hostels; not the best pancakes I've ever had (but hey, they're free) and a slightly musty smell in the corridors.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2010

We got a private room with ensuite and it was AWESOME. It had everything we could ever need - beds, tv with cable, bathroom, fridge and microwave!!, storage, benchtops etc. The hostel itself was awesome, very clean, friendly staff. Great events on most days and nights, pool table, drinking ALLOWED woohoo. Breakfast is pancakes. 10 minute walk to Union Square. Lots of great bars and food places surrounding. Would definately recommend this place and for a little bit extra why not get your own room! You end up saving money on food anyway because of the fridge and microwave...do it. We also checked out a baseball game while we were in San Fran - it is a must - it is the most beautiful stadium I have ever been to, it is right along the water and on a sunny day, nothing beats it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed here for a week whilst in San Fransisco. The room was clean and only 4 people to a dorm so quiet. There are a lot of toilets and showers, which helped with the morning rush and these were cleaned everyday. The common areas were nice and tidy. The cinema and library was never in use. Great location however the hostel felt like it was very regimental and strict with all of its rules and it felt like you was back in school.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This hostel is amazing. I never write reviews but I felt the need to do it for this one. This hostel is so amazing that I didn't even end up going to one bar or club in San Fran. I just chilled in the lounge every night. I even delayed my flight by a couple of hours hoping I would actually make it out, only to end up chilling in the lounge again :) What can i say though, it is a great place. You meet great people. The lounge has a fooball table, a pool table, a smoke section too . The hostel organizes all these daily activities so you can meet everyone , whether in the morning a walk to fisherman's warf or at night a pub crawl. This hostel is GREAT. It defined my San Franciso experience. I would recomment EVERYONE to go there because honestly i spent one of the best weeks of my life there.

PS: Rooms and washroom are clean and beds are super comfy. Cleaners clean the room ever morning. Location is key as well.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends