“Great from the first moment.”

USA Hostels San Francisco
Reviewed December 10, 2008

My two friends and I arrived at the USA Hostel in San Francisco very late at night and had been traveling all day, we grabbed a cab to the hostel and we're very tired.
We were greeted by a very nice guy who knew my full name (impressive!) the moment I walked in the door and from that moment until we left all the staff at the Hostel were very helpful and great with any questions and making us feel comfortable being there.

We booked a mixed room as we were two girls traveling and a guy and ended up booked with a very nice Australian who was checking out San Fran before heading home after being in London for a while.

The rooms were clean and what we expected for what we paid.
I never felt un-safe being there and again the staff made the Hostel very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank tripstar87
Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed November 30, 2008

This Hostel provided everything that a traveller would need. From a large well equipped kitchen, a movie theatre, brilliant laundry facilities and many many computer stations for the internet. The hostel is located very close to Union Square but beware it is all uphill once you depart at the Powell Street station. Other notables were a grocery store directly across the road and friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Newry82
Reviewed November 7, 2008

I stayed 10 nights in this hostel, I booked a 4 bed female dorm with private bathroom through their website. The room was very clean (the cleanest I've ever seen actually, they vacuum once a day), the bathroom was a little "aged" but I had hot water every morning (which is not the case in some other hostels). Lockers, with inside plugs, are available in the room (size of a big backpack) and you have to use your own padlock to close it.
The staff is really helpful and very friendly, they also offer a free all-you-can-make pancake each morning and a free wireless connexion.

The location is great (few blocks away from union square, cable cars....), you may just want to avoid the tenderloin at night, beside that the location and hostel are safe.
There is a grocery store just across the street and a great Thai bbq restaurant nearby.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank krishnou
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I loved the feel of the place from the moment we walked in. Very friendly staff greeted us upon arrival and continued to invite us to parties/events throughout our stay. The rooms are very pleasant as it's an older building so they're pretty with big windows. I stayed in two dorms during my time there, one en-suite and one communal bathroom and both were clean, comfy and I never had to wait for a shower! Which were also always hot. I met some lovely people at the social events they ran and beat the boys in the pool tournament! It was a very handy location - we were able to walk or easily catch public transport to all points of interest. Just make sure you don't walk down the hill as there's a very dodgy area near-by, but as a lone female I had no trouble walking along Post Street where the hostel is situated. I had a wonderful stay and would highly reccomend it to other young travellers.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2008

Great bargain, stayed for 6 nights and really finds the place full of energy,friendly and helpful staff, comfortable bed. Most important is it is clean! never have to wait for toilets and shower. Walking distance to central SF and easy to take public transport from here to most of the tourist place. near some great eateries and shopping too.As a caution, avoid the left side of the cities coming out from entrance, many homeless. they dont really bother me much but I would take a longer route at night to return to hostel after 9pm.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2008

It has been very difficult to me the task of choosing this hostel rate. That's because I trust reviews when I am looking for acomodation and I don't want to give a bad perception.

This is a place managed by young people (or at least this is my impression). They tried to be kind with us since the moment we arrived and they invited us to the night party (everyday a different party is celebrated). However, we had a 'missunderstanding' with money and they charged the normal rate instead of the Internet rate. We also needed to do a local phone call and any telephone booth at the hostel worked, so we asked for help but anyone paid attention to us. Speaking about broken machines, our TV only tuned 4 channels and WIFI was imposible to be kept more than 5 minutes. The room was pretty cool for the price (it had a station to charge the ipod and listen to the music!), but the bathroom was untidy. In spite of everything, I still think that's a good option if you want to stay in the middle of San Francisco (a few steps of Union Squares) for a very low price.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed September 19, 2008

The staff at reception were very helpful and friendly from the start and throughout my entire 4 day stay. The room was very clean and comfortable, and nice and bright (it has just been painted). Lockers were also available in our room. The hostel also had a free all-you-can-make pancake breakfast every morning which was great, and fun group activities on all the time. It was a great culture there. Will definitely stay there again next time I'm in San Fran.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo