1,277 results
All reviewsbed dormfree pancakeshostel offersdaily activitiesprivacy screenbig kitchenunion squarepost streetgreat facilitiespower outletsprivate bathroomcommon roomcommon areaspublic transportclean roomstenderloinfew blocks
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Staff were helpful, rooms were decently sized. We stayed in an all female four bedroom dorm with ensuite. Regarding cleanliness - there was a used mug next to my bed with cold tea in it (gross), not a pleasant encounter when one is crawling into bed.
Breakfast was varied with plenty of bagels readily available and the wifi was decent enough.
Fabulous location, opposite a convenience store with lovely, fattening, American snacks and an abundance of alcohol. Close to Union Square, train station, shopping, good eats and a beauty salon... what more could a girl ask for?

Room Tip: The option to have an ensuite bathroom is there, so take it!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed five nights in January 2013 and had a very good time. The location is great. I stayed in a four-person room with a sink and closet. Each bunk bed had an individual light and an AC Outlet for plugging in personal items. Each locker also had an AC outlet so I could charge my laptop in my absence. Rest Rooms were convenient and clean.
The free breakfast was similar to what you would find at a motel - coffee, juice, fruit, toast, cereal, etc. Guests were allowed to use the large kitchen and cook their own food items. Pancake batter and syrup was provided during breakfast hours. My only complaint about breakfast was that it did not open on time on several days.
The WiFi was OK, but it sometimes froze up on me and my roommates. The man at the front desk let me forward my Alcatraz ticket email to him and he printed my ticket for me at no charge.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed at this Hostel for about a week and loved it. Its in a great location just a couple of blocks down from union square. I stayed in a private room and it was super clean. Wifi throughout the hostel is fast. This hostel has Activities everyday posted up on the board in the lobby. Free breakfast which is not to bad. Pancakes, Bagels and fruit. All staff in this hostel seemed super friendly and they were all willing to offer advice and help you out. I was on the 3rd level so i barely ever heard any loud noise. Would definitely stay in this hostel again!

Room Tip: Room 307 never got noisy!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hayley M
Reviewed March 2, 2013

For the people writing bad reviews they act like they've booked in at The Hilton Hotel! It's a hostel!! So yes you'll share with people and everything won't be perfect.
I loved my stay at USA hostels. I have previously stayed at Hollywood and immediately decided to choose this place when visiting San Francisco. I was surprised its in a old building but they make use of it very well. You get your own bed light and two plugs to charge stuff next to you as you sleep, or if you are more worried about your stuff you get a locker provided with plugs inside to charge more stuff while having a shower. It's great I have stayed in hostels where there is only two plugs to six people- that's not good.
Rooms get cleaned everyday. I booked a four share female dorm with shower toilet included and was worth it.
Breakfast options were great for hostel. Fruits, toast, porridge, cook pancakes, juice coffee/ tea offered
They offer walking tours which in downside get cancelled frequently but drinking tours will mostly go ahead. So I say never rely on them for walking tours get a map and do solo or do an open bus tour San Francisco have STEEP roads.
I did notice a funny smell in reception area when I first checked in, maybe went away as I got used to it or they cleaned up the smell.
If anyone wants a good location, breakfast and meet other solo travellers this is the place to book.

Room Tip: The usual bring ear plugs and eye covers. Pad lock (big one) to lock stuff away while showering/ sleeping or out for the day
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great location, close to union square. Free breakfast is good enough. WiFi is free and fast. Lots of free tours and activities every day.

I recommend doing the free walking tour, its awesome! The guide is fantastic. Pictures are attached. Private rooms are a little small. But the hostel is generally very good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends