1,277 results
All reviewsbed dormfree pancakeshostel offersdaily activitiesprivacy screenbig kitchenunion squarepost streetgreat facilitiespower outletsprivate bathroomcommon roomcommon areaspublic transportclean roomstenderloinfew blocks
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My sister and i stayed in this hostel for a week in December 2012 - our first hostel experience. It is in a great location close to shops and public transport. The free breakfast was great to full up on for the day. We had no problems with the wifi and would highly recommend this hostel as a place to stay in SF.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HRBNZ
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I gave this Hostel a below average score mostly due to its lack of cleanliness. When staying in accomodation, whether hotel/hostel, the most important feature for me is cleanliness.

THE GOOD:
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The Location was great, 10min walk from Union Square

THE NOT-SO-GOOD:
The WiFi wasn't great but it worked, but it worked at least.
The room was beyond cosy, it was tiny.
Very little privacy, our window overlooked another room, I could have touched them.

THE BAD:
The Breakfast is crap! They state free breakfast. However, you'll get half a banana and some bread. Oh and some dodgy coffee. Good luck on that lasting you the day walking the city.
The worst feature by far was the SMELL. There was a terrible smell of urine throughout the hostel, for the entire week we stayed. The only place that didn’t smell was our room.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank aoifed001
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hostel is a good price, and the staff are very nice and helpful. Having stayed in the USA Hostels in Hollywood and San Diego, I decided to stay here, but it didn't have the same feel. The guests were not as friendly in general, and the communal areas were not great. The noise was unbearable at night (I think it was the positioning of my room). It was a let down in comparison to the other USA Hostels I'd visited, but was decent enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Eventhough there is a communal area in the lobby, it doesnt feel very welcoming, its uncofortomable to sit or to meet people there.Also, I got the feeling during breakfast that many were not interested in making friends and were there only to sleep. I've learned later that indeed, because accommodation is so expensive in SF, people of all ages stay there if they are travelling for work/gatherings/courses. Thankfully, the do organise pub-crawls twice a week, which is a good way to meet people.
Also, I've noticed that there are a lot of drunk people hanging out outside the hostel. I've actually twice seen someone falling or passing out outside the entrance. However, you cant beat the location for that price. Its so close to the main shopping area, to the cable cars, metro etc. Also, the rooms are quiet nice, but nothing fancy ofcourse.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here over new year and the hostel staff put on a great party with FREE wine and beer, then took us all down to watch the fireworks. The rooms were tidy, and very warm (a little too hot at time). I was in a budget room, and I didn't really notice any noise, and their was a bathroom right outside my room. The staff were extra friendly, and helped when ever I had a question for them. I was very happy with my stay here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo