“Not the best, but OK”

USA Hostels San Francisco
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This hostel is a good price, and the staff are very nice and helpful. Having stayed in the USA Hostels in Hollywood and San Diego, I decided to stay here, but it didn't have the same feel. The guests were not as friendly in general, and the communal areas were not great. The noise was unbearable at night (I think it was the positioning of my room). It was a let down in comparison to the other USA Hostels I'd visited, but was decent enough.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,227)

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Eventhough there is a communal area in the lobby, it doesnt feel very welcoming, its uncofortomable to sit or to meet people there.Also, I got the feeling during breakfast that many were not interested in making friends and were there only to sleep. I've learned later that indeed, because accommodation is so expensive in SF, people of all ages stay there if they are travelling for work/gatherings/courses. Thankfully, the do organise pub-crawls twice a week, which is a good way to meet people.
Also, I've noticed that there are a lot of drunk people hanging out outside the hostel. I've actually twice seen someone falling or passing out outside the entrance. However, you cant beat the location for that price. Its so close to the main shopping area, to the cable cars, metro etc. Also, the rooms are quiet nice, but nothing fancy ofcourse.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here over new year and the hostel staff put on a great party with FREE wine and beer, then took us all down to watch the fireworks. The rooms were tidy, and very warm (a little too hot at time). I was in a budget room, and I didn't really notice any noise, and their was a bathroom right outside my room. The staff were extra friendly, and helped when ever I had a question for them. I was very happy with my stay here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed in a private room with an ensuite for four nights in January. We didn't expect much for the price and neither of us had stayed in a hostel before so we didn't know what we were in for. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was modern & clean. Towels & linen were provided and our room was cleaned daily. Breakfast was included. Bagels, toast, fruit & coffee. You also had the option to cook pancakes if you liked. The room was smaller than the average hotel room, but that didn't bother us. The staff were all friendly and quite young. There were plenty of social things to do if you wished, but it wasn't at all forced or overwhelming. Lots of great places to eat around the area and the hotel is located only a short stroll from Union Square.

Great if your on a budget & only want a place to sleep & shower!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed two nights there. Too noisy in the night! Up to 3:00am there were people talking loudly in the lobby or somewhere! I nearly couldn't sleep during two nights!
Facilities are very old, very old elevator I had never seen before! And breakfast was poor!
I have lived hostels in Chicago, Seattle. I really had extremly bad experiences staying in this one!
Good things: price! And employees were friendly!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights whilst taking in the sights of san fran. We stayed in a private double room. The room was basic but fine with fridge, sink and Tv and the view was of a wall of the opposite building but it didnt matter really as the amount of time spent in the room was little.
The hostel was fine and good for a base to do all the touristy activities. Check in was straight forward and really have no issues other than the room could of been a little cleaner but maybe thats just me!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed in this hostel 1 night with my boyfriend in a private room.
We had a room on the first floor close to the kitchen area. The room was great with fridge, sink and TV, and very clean. Although we were aware that the room was close to the kitchen (really big but dirty), we were expecting that the staff could ask to the noisy people to be quiet during the quiet hours (11pm-8am). But we have been woken at 3am by screams, doors slammed and runnings that lasted untils 6am. And nobody told nothing to these persons! It was unacceptable.
But beside this awfull night, the hostel is not bad for really young people that like to party all night. The staff is good and helpfull. But i don't recommand this hostel for someone who wants to sleep!

Room Tip: don't choose the room on the fist floor