“One of the best hostels I have stayed at”

USA Hostels San Francisco
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked this as part of my solo RTW trip, and I am pleased I did. The staff were friendly and helpful, when I needed to extend my booking they were more than happy to and didn't even make me move rooms, which during high season is pretty good. USA Hostels is well located for Union Square, and it's a short walk west to Polk with all the bars and restaurants.

The room (I booked an Economy) was clean and tidy, and for the main part quiet even though it was over the bar and socialising area. It was easy to meet other people, and the included breakfasts were great - free pancake batter to make your own pancakes with, and a good selection of fruit, bread and muffins to toast. There was also a tea and coffee machine which was handy.

There was a complete berk in my room, but this wasn't the hostel's fault & if I was really bothered I would have asked to move rooms.

All in all very happy with this place & would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the dorm rooms with the ensuites - worth the money.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,218)

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I and 3 friends booked the hostel via the website for 3 nights. Arriving in SF Airport, we caught the BART to Powell St. From the station we dragged our bags all up hill to Post St where USA Hostels is. Arriving late reception is open all night which is great because we got there at 11pm. Once in the room they were nice and clean, good lockers even though it was a private room anyways. The bunk beds for the 4 of us were good and had one light and a power point which was impressive.
Bad – No toilets in room have to walk out into hallway, same with showers (which are very confined).
Good- Clean nice room, nearly all staff was nice, dining room was ok, and price was ok, $44 a night (split between 4 guys – private room).
On the last night we signed up for the pub crawl, good people came out and we had a ball. But the guide (not sure of name) looks chubby, had slicked back hair and was I believe Spanish or Mexican was a drunk fool by the end of it. I had no idea where I was when everyone dispersed (around Polk St area) I asked the guide, who by the way had to chicks in is arms.. ‘Which direction is the hostel in?’ he replied ‘I have no idea (drunk talk), I’m not your guide anymore, find it yourself Im busy’. I asked again he ignored me. Yep, so once I let him know what an idiot he was, I walked in the direction I thought we came. So without realizing it I walked into the Tenderloin at 2am on a Friday morning. It’s pretty much a few blocks from the hostel and it’s dangerous as hell. After walking through one street I saw drug addicts, a gang and about 11 prostitutes, they started yelling and coming closer, I got out of there very quick. Thanks to the guide and his lack of care and help I nearly got myself into a lot of trouble.
Beware anyone! Know where you are and don’t go past Geary St, you might be in a lot of trouble and girls beware of Mr To Cool Guide his a slick talking, arrogant, careless employee of this Hostel that nearly got me into a lot of trouble.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beauheme
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

After 3 weeks round Europe, this all American, English speaking hostel was more akin to home.

We arrived at 2pm, as stated the check in time. However were told that the room wouldn't be ready til 330pm - would've been good to know this before!

We stayed in a private en suite room. This fitted our budget perfectly, well appointed with fridge, microwave. Bathroom was small but did the job,lcd tv was good too.

Breakfast was good, ample in supply (like most of our experiences with American meals).

It was a relief to use a washing machine and dryer that cost usd$5 (compared to eur20 in Luxembourg).

This hostel was perfect as there were other areas to hang out in and meet new people.

This hostel has shown us that we enjoy the facilities and will look to stay in places like this over hotels next time we travel.

One suggestion would be to have some uniformity on check in time, so that staffs knowledge matches what customers are shown.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights in an all-girl, ensuite room. It's a clean, safe, organised place. It's a little pricey for a hostel, but all of San Francisco is. The little privacy screens are a good idea, as are the lockers. The kitchen is big and well-equipped. The breakfast is simple, but generous.

Room Tip: There did seem to be queues for the communal bathrooms, so if you can afford it, amybe go for an ens...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed in private room for 2people and we enjoyed the stay very much. The hostel is basically closest to perfection it could get. The prices are reasonable, the location is great (block away from Union square) and all-you-can-make pancake breakfest makes a great start for a day. You get free wifi, there is laundry, payed computers and phones, all day free coffee and tea, vending machines..... Bathrooms are shared but clean and supplied with soap and shampoo even in 2am.

The staff is friendly and helpful. They can book you a trip to Alcatraz or as they did for us help to rent bikes (and they gave us great discount!) There is something going on almost every day (eg. movie night or guided tour of the city)

Definitely a perfect choice for accomodation in San Francisco.

Room Tip: rooms at second floor are close to laundry and kitchen but still it is far away if there is a party...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chicotomas1
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I've backpacked through Asia and spent many a night at a hostel. This was my first experience at a North American Hostel, and I was interested to experience the difference. The room was clean, albeit small, but the large bathroom made up for it. I booked 4 beds in a Female Dorm Ensuite. Unfortunately, my 3 companions who had never stayed in a hostel before were all horrified to realize that we had been placed in separate rooms! After a quick chat with my roommates, they agreed to move and all was well. I would like to suggest that they remove the plastic covering from the mattress and consider another QUIETER fabric to cover them. Also, shared rooms should NOT have squeaky doors. Just saying.., aside from that, clean kitchen, fresh coffee, comfortable lounge area with complimentary wifi and very accommodating staff made this hostel very comfortable for me. If you arent accustomed to hostels, this is a great property to start with! GREAT location as well !

Room Tip: Top Floor is quieter than main floor. If travelling in a group and booking a Dorm, ensure that you p...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This place has great people manning the front desk and a really good vibe. It's in an amazing location - close to everything - and is filled with backpackers of all sorts. It is a typical hostel - rooms and hallways smell a bit funny, bunkbeds in the rooms, communal toilets and showers, etc. Still, for a hostel, the place is very clean and well-maintained. The pods in the beds allow for a bit of privacy in an atmosphere where none is familiar.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends