1,277 results
All reviewsbed dormfree pancakeshostel offersdaily activitiesprivacy screenbig kitchenunion squarepost streetgreat facilitiespower outletsprivate bathroomcommon roomcommon areaspublic transportclean roomstenderloinfew blocks
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I spent more than a week in the USA Hostel in San Francisco. The place is very clean and there is always something to do there. The location is perfect: it is close to the touristic places (if that's what you are looking for), to many museums, to many restaurants, and many clubs. It is also close to the tram and metro stations; so you will be able to go everywhere easily from there.

What's negative? Well, since it is a big building and it is always crowded, it is sometimes difficult to find a quite spot to work or just read. The staff is nice, but not so nice as in the L.A. version of the hostel, because the treat is less personal (again because of the amount of visitors).

But all in all, it is a great place to stay in SF.

Room Tip: The rooms in the first floor are very noisy and that's why they are cheaper. Rooms in the other floors and far from the stairs are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Great place to stay. Clean, nice atmosphere, very friendly and helpful staff, good breakfast options (pancakes along side toast, bagels, oatmeal and some fruit), only a few blocks from Union Square and most public transport.

Very open minded people stay here, so the common area downstairs with pool table is always a good time. Stayed here twice in the last 3 years, and I'd go back for sure next time im in San Fran. Even my 56 year old mother loved it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2012

The hostel was very clean and well organized. There was a spacious kitchen and dining room which also served as community room. We've been to all 3 USA hostels and I liked this one the most. Would return!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in summer 2011 and had an absolute ball. We had just got off a 21+ hour flight from Australia and arrived at the hostel dazed and weary. The hostel staff were so friendly and welcoming. We stayed in a private room with en suite and it was perfect. There was a window to let in the summer breeze and a small kitchen/sink area which was really convenient. There were also separate shower and toilet cubicles (i.e. not a room with several cubicles, one in a room of its own) which was much appreciated. Recommend joining the social activities. Just be careful walking around some of the nearby streets at night - we were harassed a few times as we walked back to the hostel after dinner out. Suggest taking the main roads at night.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kat T
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I loved staying at USA Hostels on Post Street in San Francisco!

THE LOCATION
The hostel is located a few blocks from Union Square with easy access to the BART at Powell and Market. There is shopping and tons of restaurants within just a few blocks. If you get up too late to enjoy the hostel's breakfast (which is small but good: toast, bagels, fruit, and make-your-own pancakes), eat breakfast at Pinecrest Diner at Mason and Geary.

THE COMMON AREAS
I liked the large basement common area, which had space to eat breakfast in the morning, play pool or foosball, and talk with friends. I don't smoke, but my friend also liked that there is a designated smoking room so that you don't have to go outside. I also liked the lobby on the first floor, where there were couches and chairs to sit with my computer and plan my day. I used the common bathrooms when my roommates were using our ensuite bathroom and found the sinks and toilets to be very clean -- much cleaner than at other hostels I've stayed in San Francisco. I also liked that the common bathrooms were separated into common toilets, sinks, and showers (instead of having those three things in one room) because it meant that there was always a toilet, sink, or shower available.

THE DORM ROOM
I stayed in a four-person dorm room (women only) with an ensuit bathroom, and I loved it! The bunk beds are metal, so they seem very sturdy and don't rock around too much when you get in or out of them. It was also really nice that they have this piece of metal surrounding one side of the bunk bed to provide privacy. The ensuite bathroom was clean. The storage lockers were huge and easily accommodated all of my luggage for a week. It was also awesome that the storage lockers and beds had power points to charge my laptop or cell phone.

THE ATMOSPHERE AND SAFETY
I didn't partake in any of the activities set up by the hostel because I was busy with my own schedule, but they had things going on every day (bus tours around the city, pub crawls at night, day trips to Yosemite, etc.). The other people who stayed at the hostel generally seemed to be in their 20s and 30s, though that really varied. Two of my roommates were 19 and one was almost 40. I also saw a few older folks with white hair in some of the common areas throughout my stay. Everyone seemed very friendly, and I never felt unsafe as a solo woman traveler. The hostel staff checks everyone's room key after you enter through the front door, and you have to use your room key to enter the main outside door after a certain hour in the evening.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 219, which is a female dorm room with ensuite bathroom. It doesn't face the street, so it was very quiet at night.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo