“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sir Francis Drake Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel

Sir Francis Drake Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   450 Powell Street, Union Square, San Francisco, CA 94102 (Union Square)   |
Ranked #77 of 233 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
england
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Lovely hotel if somewhat bizarre with the Beefeaters outside!
Great location, next to Union Square.
Very traditional, room very clean, bathroom very small but adequate.
Continental breakfast included which was great.
Staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Joanne L
Jim G, Manager at Sir Francis Drake Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Hey Traveler,

Thank you for the great review! I do have to say this is the first time I have heard the feedback about the beefeaters being bizarre. They are quite famous in and around the city for their warm spirit and amazing welcome to the hotel! I am glad you enjoyed the trandional nature of our hotel as well as the location. Cleanliness is of the upmost importance to us so thank you for pointing out the superior level of cleanliness we have here.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I agree with other reviewers' comments. Kimpton has renovated this old hotel, with its small baths, as well as possible. Outstanding bed and linens. Well equipped. Attentive, friendly staff. Delicious breakfasts at cafe and good drinks at Skylight while watching the sun set from the 21st floor. But internet connect broke down in the third day, and their tech service could not restore it on my Mac. For about $200 in the center of San Francisco, it was a great value.

Green Features: Hotel allows you to skip maid service and get a $10 credit at the cafe.
2 Thank Don620
Riverside, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The pros: Amazing architecture, prime location, attentive staff, great wine hour, tastefully-decorated rooms. The cons: the restaurant was inconsistent (see separate review), the bathroom was small, and the room was noisy (street noise and thin walls between rooms). Also, they don't offer goldfish like other Kimptons (why?).

Cleanliness
2 Thank RaymondD
Jim G, Manager at Sir Francis Drake Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Hey Traveler,

Thank you for the 4 star review! I am glad that the pros outweighed the cons. Our Architecture and design is really something to be seen, and when you pair that with an amazing staff like we have you can't go wrong! I am bummed to hear that your experience in Scala's was inconsistent; I am certain our restaurant team will take you feedback seriously and make some adjustments.

We look forward to having you back next time you and in San Francisco.

Park City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed for three nights the end of July and were very pleased with our choice of the Sir Francis Drake. The location was perfect; we enjoyed the 5:00 wine pour, playing checkers, and relaxing in the comfortable chairs upstairs. The continental breakfast and people watching was perfect! Special kudos to Chris at the front desk. He was awesome.

When you are visiting San Francisco for three days of sightseeing, how much time do you need to spend in the small bathroom anyway??

Green Features: I liked the option of not having a maid come in daily to make up the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Leslie C
Jim G, Manager at Sir Francis Drake Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Hi Leslie,

Thank you for the great 5 star review! I am so delighted that you enjoyed our amazing hotel and our amazing city during our stay. The games at wine our sure do bring the event alive, I'm glad you were able to partake. We agree, who needs to spend time in the bathroom when you have an amazing city to explore!

See you next time you are in San Francisco.

Cheers,
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Stayed one week in Aug. 2014 for a sales meeting, I only live 30minutes away. My usual Hyatt was sold out due to a convention in town so decided to try Sir Francis Drake. I am from the area I have been here plenty of times to the Starlight Room upstairs. NEVER again will I stay here again, for the price its crazy cramped, bathrooms in all co-workers rooms were crazy small. 1st NIGHT: we heard our neighbors having sex, 2nd NIGHT: we couldn't sleep since we heard our other neighbors conversation all night long. Walls are paper thin so you are practically sitting in the same room as the ppl next door. 3rd & 4th NIGHT: our room 712 lights started turning on/off, flickering on their own around 1am & 2am. Thankfully I had a co-worker roommate or else i would had preferred to sleep on the street. We asked the front desk about the weird stuff that was going on & they CONFIRMED PLACE IS DEFINITELY HAUNTED! Being from the area i know there are a lot of hookers in town, but I never knew this hotel was the new hooker hang out spot. Our co-workers got asked "how much they were willing to spend," non stop (lobby bar, starlight room, and front entrance). I posted a pic of the type of decor this hotel has, its terrifying. Overall, I have no desire to stay here ever again. I heard ppl actually honeymoon here, seriously? Couldn't think of a worse cramped spot to be at on your honeymoon, while all my co-workers & I laugh the next day when we could all hear our neighbors on different floors. We had sales ppl on floors: 3/6/7/8/12 all experienced spooky stuff! Oh & their Wifi was really bad.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank butterflyxoxo143
Jim G, Manager at Sir Francis Drake Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Hey butterflyxoxo143,

Yikes! This is definitely not the feedback we like to hear. Due to the historic nature of our building some of our rooms are a bit smaller than some of the other downtown hotels; the charm isn't for everyone. We take all noise complaints very seriously and we have no problem reaching out to whoever is being disruptive it's important to us that all guests are able to get a good night sleep while staying with us. Now, lights flickering and being haunted is a new one for me; I definitely have not see any supernatural behaviors in the building so I am thinking there might be a short in the lights in your guest room...we will take a look into it! We are definitely bummed about the 1 star, and the never again....if you do have a change of heart please reach out to me directly so I can ensure everything is perfect for your return.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Well OK for US standards
Have a great bar on top floor
Service was Ok, room was clean, location is center... Price also OK
The drawbacks... Small Rooms and a little noisy, also breakfast wasn't great... But will probably comeback in next Oracle Open World

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jim G, Manager at Sir Francis Drake Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Hi Luis,

Thank you for the reivew! I am bummed we just left you feeling OK, we always want our guests to be leaving with a farm fuzzy feeling inside. I am delighted that you will be returning for the next Oracle Open World. Please reach out to be directly after booking so I can ensure your stay is perfect!

Miami, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, very ornate and very busy. They have a bar in the lobby that is always busy with locals and guests. The rooms are gorgeous but the bathrooms are super tiny. I shared a double room and there was NO space to put our stuff. The hotel staff is very attentive. The continental breakfast seemed pretty expensive so we opeted out and went to eat at a cafe near by. Hotel is right on Union Square next to EVERYTHING but it is busy and loud! There's a Walgreens across the street which was a great plus!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hey Traveler,

Thank you for the great 4 star review! I may be biased but I think our staff rocks also, I am glad they took great care of you. We are lucky to have so many neighborhood folks that stop into Bar Drake on their way home from work; hopefully you enjoyed mingling with them. The city noise can be a little loud, but you can't beat our location as you mentioned. We hope you stay with us again next time you are in town!

Cheers,