“Awesome Location”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kenosha, Wisconsin
“Awesome Location”
Reviewed May 30, 2008

We've just returned from a weekend at the Sir Francis Drake. We had a wonderful time. I found a rate online. I then found that the hotel will match some internet rates. So I called them directly and they did match the rate. Rooms on floors on floor 2-15 were $112; for $8 more we could get rooms on floors 16-20. We paid the extra. The price listed on the door in our room was $499 for 2 people. We had a fanstastic view of the city, Union Square, and a hint of the Bay. We had a king room on the 20th floor. Our only complaint was that we were directly under the dance floor of the Starlight Room and they have music til 2 am on the weekends. We were so exhausted from hiking around SF that it almost lulled us to sleep!

Our room had a king size bed, a desk, a flat screen tv, a fridge (that had room to put our own drinks). There were only 3 drawers to put clothes however. The room had a huge walk in closet. Our friends stayed in a queen room on the 17th floor. They had the same amenities, but a different layout since it is an old building.

We took advantage of the drag brunch at the Starlight room on the weekends. It was a hoot!

The location is great! We took BART from the airport to Powell Street Station then hiked the 4 blocks uphill to the hotel. The cable cars stop right outside the front door of the hotel and go to two locations on Fisherman's wharf. It's $5 one way or you can purchase a 1, 3 or & 7 day pass. We got the 3 day pass for $18. It's good for MUNI, cable cars, and trolley cars (everything except BART).

There are plenty of restaurants, bars, and shopping in close proximity. If we ever return to San Francisco we will definately stay here!

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — The concierge
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank berrribabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
arkansas
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Stayed at the hotel for a business conference and extended our stay to see sights and family in the area. Booked our stay through the Kimpton program and then confirmed the room and specific requests (crib, coffee pot, childproofing items) that were available to Kimpton members.

Checkin was prompt and pleasant. Room on initial inspection was clean, nice decor and small bathroom with deep tub. We had to call multiple times for the crib and coffee pot over the next coupla hours before they were received. Childproofing items were never received.

On our fouth night there the air conditioning broke. Early the next morning I informed the front desk of the problem. At lunch I reminded them again. That afternoon I called twice due to the room being too hot for the kiddos to nap. Room temperature exceeded 85 degrees. Still no maintenance service. Spoke to someone at the front desk again on the way out to dinner. After dinner, no one had looked at the room yet. Went back down to the front desk and let them know that I was very unhappy at this point. Twenty minutes later maintenance finally arrived. (It's now 9.30 pm and the 3 year old and 3 month old are hot and tired. We have an early flight home in the morning) Arturo,the maintenance man, fixed a "pressure problem" and left. An hour later the air conditioning quit working again.

We decided it was hopeless at this point and decided to go to bed. My husband thought to check the window to see if we could get any fresh air. The window opened easily!! We had specificly been put in this room on the 11th floor to meet fire code with the crib. My 3 year-old son had spent a good portion of the time in the room sitting of the window sill looking out the window. He would've been able to easily open it. The other window was barely fasted close with a screw.

I informed the front desk on the continued AC problems and the danger of the windows as we were quickly leaving for the airport.

I love old hotels. I prefer the character and history of them to the mass-produced chains. This is the primary reason I selected this hotel. Hopefully, the problems will be promptly fixed. But personally, I have grave misgivings about staying somewhere where my child's life was in danger.

• Liked — View from the Starlight Lounge
  • Disliked — Safety issues and staff's inattentiveness to problems
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank leahschatz
HotelManager1, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2008
Dear Guest:

I am in the process of trying to locate your reservation record as I would like to reveiw your stay with you in person. I am very concerned about your comments and I appreciate you sharing. Please feel free to contact me personally at david.watkins@sirfrancisdrake.com or via my direct line at (415) 395 8584.

New Mexico
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Classic lobby. You will be immediately impressed walking into the hotel (after you find it). Hotel is what you call a "vintage" location, the type of place you see in movies from the 40s. The bad news is rooms are small...really small, just like those old hotels. Walls are incredibly thin. I heard my neighbors alarms, showers and even snoring. Wireless is a plus. Didnt try the nice looking but expensive resturant or the "number 1" in San Fran club on the top floor, but heard some negative reviews from people in the elevator on the way down. Keep in mind I was there midweek so maybe it picks up on weekends.

Location is great, near union plaza, a few blocks from the BART. Great food choices close by but you will walk a couple of those steep San Fran blocks. I wasnt looking for fancy places just local type dinning and found Lori's and the Pizza place just north of the hotel to be great places for a leisurely dinner.

Would stay here again but only as a 2nd or 3rd choice.

Beware of panhandlers. The walk from the BART during the day and evening was filled with homeless and panhandlers. TONS! About 5 each block. Be careful.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Dear Bliss:

Thank you for sharing with Trip Advisor readers a perspective of your stay. One note on Scala’s, next time you visit you must try it, the Martinis are well shaken, the Scallops they are juicy and plump. Please contact me directly the next time you plan on visiting.

David Watkins
Kentish maiden turned Essex chic!
Reviewed May 24, 2008

This was our first visit to the Kimptons Sir Francis Drake and on our arrival the parking was a bit mad outside the hotel front but Beefeater doorman was very helpful with the valet parking.

The hotel it very clean and well presented.

The room we had was a tad small but very well looked after by the Housekeeping staff.

Location is great, with the ideal shopping places just around the corner.

If we come back to San Francisco we will be staying at the Francis Drake!

Thanks for a great stay.

• Liked — Beefeater Doormen & Location
  • Disliked — Just the room size
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HotelManager1, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2008
Dear Kentish/Essex Maiden:

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the Sir Francis Drake, thank you also for writing into Trip Advisor for others to read. Please be sure to contact me directly when you plan to return, I will personally oversee your reservation.

David Watkins david.watkins@sirfrancisdrake.com
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 23, 2008

The Drake is beautiful. The staff was fantastic. The room was amazing. I arrived early in the day and was able to go right to my room. I wasn't happy with the view from my first room, and when Jeffrey from the front desk called me to see how I liked my room, I told him this and he was able to move me to the same type of room (corner room) but on a higher floor. The room was very clean and the view was great.

My only issue with the hotel was that I was on the 19th floor and there is a club on the 21st floor. After 8:30, all I heard was music and bump bump noise. It was terrible!! If you like quiet, make sure you stay on a lower floor. I am sure they could have moved me had I asked, but that was the last thing I wanted to do at 10:30 PM. I called to see if they had earplugs and had a pair at my door within 5 minutes.

Overall, very happy with my experience.

• Liked — the beautiful room and the view
  • Disliked — the noise from the nightclub upstairs
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My husband and I stayed here at the last leg of our honeymoon trip. The location is very convenient b/c it is right at union square and by the cable car stop. The rooms are very very small and of course expensive because it is San Francisco so I guess that is to be expected. The cable in our room was not very good and had very limited channels. We did not spend a ton of time in the room but it is always nice to unwind and watch something but not here. Our room was always clean but overall our stay was very average.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room size
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HotelManager1, David Watkins - Hotel Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2008
Thank you for reviewing our property. We are very happy to hear that you enoyed our hotel location. I am disappointed to hear that you experienced issues with the television in your room. We are currently reviewing the Sir Francis Drake's cable contract and hope to get an upgrade shortly.
Please feel free the next time you visit San Francisco. I will ensure that your next stay is the perfect San Francisco experience.
Best,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Stayed here for three nights in April with four friends - it was a great experience. Check-in was efficient and we were allowed to go straight to our rooms despite arriving well before the 3.00pm check-in time. I loved the reception area and lobby - it was very grandiose! The twin double room was spacious, clean and the beds were really comfortable. We had a great view of Union Square and Macy's. I loved the Aveda products in the bathroom and dressing gowns (one in tiger skin print, the other in zebra skin print!) were an added bonus! The hotel is in a superb location - lots of great diners (try Roxy's just up the street from the hotel), restaurants (try E&O Trading Company around the corner), bars and cafés within 5 minutes walk; Chinatown 5 minutes walk and right beside Union Square and great shopping! Also, the cable car ($5 per ride) stops right outside the hotel and brings you out to all that is Fisherman's Wharf. We also spent two of our nights in the hotel's top floor bar - Harry Denton's Starlight Room - this has spectacular night time views of San Fran, a comprehensive cocktail menu, excellent service, live music, hopping DJs, a busy dancefloor and a great atmosphere. I hope to go back to SF and would absolutley definitely stay here again - I have already recommended it to family and friends intending to travel to SF and all of the above for a fantastic price!

• Liked — Great price for a great hotel in a great location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Seanie1
fiji22, Hotel Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2008
Dear Guest From Ireland:

Thank you for your posting and sharing your great sumary of your stay. The "Starlight Room" is a must when you stay with us, an early evening Martini and fresh strawberries - priceless. The views are fantastic along with the world class service. Ask for Sean or Kenny, they will take great care of you. Be sure to tell them "David" sent you. Returning to the "Drake", please contact me directly.