Last week my kids and I (ages 6 and 4) stayed at "The Drake" with a friend and her 3 year old. We had a FANTASTIC stay! The Sir Francis Drake is a Kimpton Hotel and the service at Kimpton hotels is superb. Everyone we encountered was extremely friendly, helpful and professional.
I understand that some reviewers had minor problems with their room or billing issues - but I am certain that if they just mentioned them to someone at the front desk or a manager, the problems would have been quickly resolved. The hotel staff truly wants you to enjoy your time there - they will take care of any issue you have.
Here are the reasons why we LOVED our night at The Drake:
- The hotel is in a terrific location. You are 1 block from Union Square (with shopping, restaurants, live music on the square), you are on the cable car line (so fun to see the cable cars go up and down the street - breakfast at the Cable Car Cafe across the street meant that the kids were entertained watching the cable cars while we ate), 3 blocks from BART, a few blocks from bus lines, a nice walk to the Embarcadero, etc. The location really can't be beat!
- The hotel is BEAUTIFUL! The property is charming, with the Beefeater bellmen and ornate ceilings and furnishings in the lobby. The hotel has had a major renovation and the rooms have beautiful comfortable furnishings. Our beds were clean and super comfortable - all of the kids slept great!
- The hotel has many different types of rooms. I'm sure some are smaller than others. We had a gorgeous room with 2 queen beds (and space for a rollaway) and plenty of space to spare. The room had a desk, bureau with a TV on top, and nice view of the buildings surrounding the square. The bathroom was small, but that didn't matter to us. We spent our time in our room, in the lobby area, and in SF - not in the bathroom.
- Yeah for Kimpton wine hour! The hotel has a free wine hour from 5-6 every day. I don't drink alcohol (and of course my kids don't either), so the pastry chef, Tim (who was on Bravo's Top Chef: Just Desserts) personally brought our freshly made lemonade for my kids and I. They also brought out a cup full of M&Ms. In addition, there were some little pizzas that we could have for a snack. And there were hula hoops for the kids (and adults) to play with. The wine hour is a "can't miss" benefit of being at a Kimpton Hotel and this wine hour was one of the best of the Kimpton properties I've stayed at.
- They treated my kids wonderfully! Right when we checked in they gave all of the kids a few little toys. To an adult, the toys seem small and silly, but the kids loved them! They thought it was so fun that the people at the hotel gave them toys. And when we arrived in our room, there were more toys for the kids - little bags packed with crayons, paper, sticky hands, mini Beefeaters, necklaces, bracelets, etc. And there were little robes out for the kids to use while we were there. And, there was a tray with cookies, milk and fruit - YUMMY! Our kids said this was their FAVORITE HOTEL EVER (and we stayed at the Ritz Carlton Maui a few months ago).
- Definitely check out the lounge at the top of the hotel. The view is beautiful up there!
SUMMARY: The staff at the hotel is absolutely wonderful. The location is perfect. The hotel is beautiful. The wine hour is fun. Kimpton properties are awesome. Don't believe the negative reviews. And if you have a problem during your stay, just tell the manager (rather than complaining after the fact on TripAdvisor).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, housed in a landmark building in the heart of Union Square, is quintessential San Francisco: exciting, romantic, timelessly elegant and unique. The ornately decorated lobby, old-world hospitality, and Tom Sweeney, the hotel's infamous Beefeater doorman, transport you to another time and place. The legendary Starlight Room, the adjacent Scala's Bistro and unmatched hospitality complete the picture to create an unforgettable San Francisco experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kimpton San Francisco
- Sir Francis Drake Hotel San Francisco
- Drake Francis Sir