“Elegant Dream of a Hotel!!”

Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Ranked #93 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Sir Francis Drake hotel from 2nd to 5th November before I returned to Australia!
This is a beautiful and elegant old hotel! The location was perfect as is right in the heart of San Francisco and just an 8 minute walk down to Market Street!
There is a bank and ATM diagonally opposite hotel which was handy! The room was a double room on 15th floor and was gorgeous and had a good view of the city! Bed was so very comfortable and bathroom was perfect and lots of hot water! American breakfast was included and cost was reasonable enough!
The decor of the hotel is wonderful and classic old style, and the staff from reception to bar staff were first class! The barman was able to make me the perfect Golden dream cocktail!
I would stay here again any time I visit in the future. Also loved the doormen in their Beefeater costumes and so polite and helpful! This is a dream of a hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear samoasal;

Thanks for posting your feedback on your recent stay with us!

It sure sounds like you enjoyed, not only our location, but our staff and our facility as well!

Hope to welcome you back at the Drake!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 6 nights. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and nice and the lobby bar was a great place to wind down after visiting all of the wonderful sites in SF. I'm thankful for Leif, the concierge. He went out of his way to help me plan my daily travel around the city. I'd recommend this hotel solely based on him. The location of the hotel is outstanding. And, the restaurants Scala and Sears Fine Food which are located next door are terrific. All in all I highlyrecommend this hotel.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear RebecaEleria:

I appreciate your review! Happy to know that you enjoyed our staff and Leif was able to assist you in making your SF trip a special one!

Hope to see you back at the Drake soon!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

we had stayed at this hotel before, and quite enjoyed our experience. This time, not so much. Although the manager has made a generous offer to us in compensation, we have no immediate plans to travel to San Francisco, and we would probably look at staying at another hotel in any event, given our experience. I was sorry to have this experience!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Michael R:

Hopefully, you will decide to come back to the Drake in your future trip to SF.

Happy Holidays.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

When you enter the Sir Francis Drake Hotel, you feel as if you have been transported back to the 1940's. One can almost imagine seeing Sam Spade walk around the corner, hat on and cigarette hanging from his lip. That said, the hotel looks as if it needs a little polishing up and dusting off. The room I stayed in was small but had a panoramic view of the SF skyline on three sides, as well as a wonderful view of Union Square. The furnishings were of the over sized style, popular about a decade ago but not especially attractive or comfortable. Being just below the Starlight room meant that on a Saturday night there was a lot of noise coming through from above, as well as noise coming through the windows. The windows could be replaced with newer thicker glass, so that noise didn't keep one awake at night. In general, staying at the Sir Francis Drake is an experience worth these drawbacks, especially if you want to be in the middle of the "action", shopping etc. The hotel is a grand old lady of San Francisco. Don't forget to stop at the beautiful bar and having a cocktail, well worth it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear lesmad:

Thanks for posting your review.

Did you know that we are one of the historical buildings that was built in 1928? It is truly a landmark hotel!

Hope to see you at the Drake again!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had booked to stay at Hotel Frank as part of a package including a visit to LA and Vegas. When we booked the hotel we knew there were protestors but picked the hotel as it was more the style of hotel we like, alot in San Francisco are old fashioned. However, 8 weeks before we were due to go we were told the hotel had shut and we had been transferred to this hotel.

We were not impressed with this as the reviews on trip advisor weren’t fantastic. We contacted out travel agent but they advised there was nothing we could do as a deal had been done between the hotels. We had booked so far in advance that we had a good discount but this now counted against us as everything was so much more expensive as we were so close to the holiday. In the end we had to stick with it and put up with what we had been given. After readying the reviews I requested that we had an update room, away from the ice machine as supposedly it was noisy and to have a higher room again as the lower rooms were meant to be noisy.

When we checked in I asked if the room was updated and he informed me it was, when we got to it, it was on the 5th floor so low like I had requested not to have and was next door to the noisy ice machine, again like I have req2uested not to have. I was a little annoyed but thought I would give it a go and if it became a problem I would request another room then. It was actually fine so ignore the other reviews. You could hear the outside noise and trams but it wasn’t loud enough to disturb us. At the end of the day you’re in the heart of a city not in the middle of nowhere so there is going to be notice. Also the ice machine wasn’t a problem for us, although it is loud when people use it we were lucky that it wasn’t used too much.

The hotel didn’t have a mini bar so there wasn’t anywhere to store drinks and it has the tinniest bathrooms I have ever seen! The room is a really good size, we did have a king classic, but it did have a large wardrobe which I thought was a little pointless. Firstly it is pitch black in there with no light so you can’t see what you are typing on the safe and I thought it may be of better use to knock through and make the bathroom bigger.

The hotel offer free coffee in the morning and you can chose not to have your room and get given credit to use at the bar or restaurant. The hotel also offer free Wi-Fi if you sign up to the group, this is also free to join so worth it.

The hotel is in a great location but it is nice and easy to get around San Francisco using the trams and buses.

Whilst we were there we did the Alcatraz trip and that was well worth it! We also when to fisherman’s wharf which was great and of course we had to see Mrs Doubtfire's house. San Francisco is a beautiful place so there are plenty of opportunities for fantastic photos. And don't forget a trip to the golden gate bridge.

Overall I was very impressed with this hotel, this was the only one I was worried about before the holiday but pleasantly surprised. Oh and there is the skybar at the top of the hotel, this is worth a visit as the views are amazing.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper or live somewhere with little noise the ice machine and low levels may an...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leazo

Dear leazo:

I am glad to know that you had an opportunity to experience the Drake!

Thanks for posting your comment!

Happy Holidays.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

From the start we were quite positive to this hotel. The location is nice, and the style is quite kitsch. However, the service was a joke! We booked through a hotel site with a continental breakfast. When arriving for breakfast we were told our rate did not include breakfast. They also encourage guests to hang out a sign refusing housekeeping and get a 10$ voucher instead. We never received this voucher. We asked for 1 hour later checkout, and when arriving to our room the key had been deactivated and we could no longer get into our room.
When arriving home, I then find the hotel has made a charge to my bank account, more than twice the amount our stay cost. And this was already paid through the hotel site. I contacted the hotel for them to refund the money and they never replied.

We had an amazing trip in USA and stayed at so many amazing places, but this was by far the worst experience. I am a very unhappy guest and would definitely not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Not in this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ralfisen

Dear ralfisen:

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I tried to make a reservation under a block of rooms for an upcoming conference. The website for the conference said that the hotel still had rooms open as of today. It took the less than knowledgeable reservation line ten minutes while I was on hold to decide that they did not have any of "those" rooms available but they would be happy to reserve a room for me at twice the price. Hmmmmm, sounds like a bait and switch to me and it took 13 minutes of my time on hold and discussing it with the reservationist to find that out. If that is how they run their hotel.....beware!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cjay50
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Cjay50:

I apologize for the incovenience you went through during a reservation process.

Also, thanks for bringing this to my attention and I am closely looking into our conference room reservation process.

Regards,