“Nice location in Fisherman's Wharf, but expensive and poor recognition for SPG Gold members”

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
Ranked #109 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here because I liked it when I stayed a few years ago. I'm lucky enough to have a Gold SPG membership this time and - we have no SPG properties in NZ, I'm trying to make the most of the gold status while it lasts.

The prices seem to have gone up since my last visit to SF. This time when I booked it was 350, but I managed to get a SPG best rate guarantee down to 250, but when I checked the prices while I was there, there were fall specials which were even cheaper - 249 incl breakfast. So it seems you might be able to get better deals closer to the time you book - might depend on time of year though.

I had also requested a Suite Upgrade for our 3 nights (I had some Suite Night Awards to use up) but the front desk lady said they were sold out. I don't know if it's a ploy to really annoy gold SPG members but later on the same day when we had to change rooms heard the man in the queue next to us ask for a suite upgrade, and it seemed he got offered it (and he was staying the same nights).

I had requested a quiet room on a high floor. The room we were originally given was 2624, which I was told was a 'SPG preferred room' and we had been upgraded. This room is a standard room, overlooking the beer garden, on the lowest floor, right opposite the ice machine, vending machine and elevator. No sign to say this was an SPG room. We came back to request a different room (my last stay was on the 4th floor), as this wasn't a quiet room at all. To her credit, the front desk lady did a lot of rearranging and finally got us a room on the 4th floor (4632). This room was much better - it actually had the 'SPG preferred room' sign, had an AC that you could control from the wall, and was more spacious. We still overlooked the beer garden though. So as a SPG Gold member, I was not particularly impressed with the room we got and that we were told it was an upgraded room. If I had known I would get the same treatment as a non-SPG member, I wouldn't have bothered staying here.

A note on this Beer Garden - seems to operate between 4 - 8pm on Thurs - Sun nights. It's not run by the hotel, and seems to be open to the public off the street. The music is pretty loud (you can almost drown it out by turning on the aircon and TV). Not sure how Sheraton thinks this is a good idea - how to annoy your guests with even MORE noise ...

We did not eat at the hotel as we were out a lot and the knew the breakfast to be kind of pricey.

We requested a fridge for the room, which Housekeeping was very good about ensuring this got delivered.

Location wise, this is great for tourists. Very close to Fisherman's Wharf and transport links. We bought a MUNI card and used the tram and cable car to get around.

I was put off parking our rental car here because of the valet pricing - $52!

Having stayed here before, I quite like the décor. I know about the tiny bathrooms. I know about the noise, but this time it seemed a lot noisier. There were people staying in adjoining rooms across the corridor, who decided to have their conversation about the best value pastries for breakfast outside my door at 7am in the morning, despite the 'this is a quiet floor' sign. The beer garden was noisy. The AC was still noisy. The TV in the room next door was noisy. The prices have gone up. So I might look for a different hotel next time.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are on the 4th floor facing the internal rooftop (eg 4620). Request a fridge if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Welly_China_Girl
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Welly_China_Girl,

We appreciated your comments about your stay. The beer garden actually was a hotel promotion that ran 4 weeks in October. Many hotel guests enjoyed the craft beers, music and games, however we regret that it disturbed you.

We hope that you will return to see us.

Michael Hirsch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Easy access to the whole city, even when on business. Sightseeing, great food, and cable cars nearby. And often reasonable prices! There are many hotels in the city, and I travel to SF 6-8 times a year. This always is the first place I check for availability.

Room Tip: Ask for room to inner courtyards to avoid noise from the streets
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kevinsac,

Thanks for the very nice review. We are so glad that you are a Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf fan.

We think you are pretty swell, too. Come on back and see us soon.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights here and on the whole, it was an enjoyable stay. The hotel is in a great location. Just a few minutes down to the Wharf and all its attractions. Plenty of places to eat and drink.
Check-in was fast and efficient. The room was standard but comfortable apart from the bathroom which I can only describe as poky. It really was so small. Plenty of towels and toiletries though. Housekeeping was excellent throughout our stay. I think the hotel would benefit from double glazing in the rooms as it got quite noisy with the traffic and air con outside the windows at night.
The coffee machine was a great touch with three coffee pouches and plenty of tea bags every day, but only two small milks left every day. Ok, if you like it black, but no good if you like a milky drink. We went to the Safeway just across the road and bought our own milk.
The fire pits are great. We sat and had a drink there most nights. A good way to meet new people as well. We never saw any homeless people around the pits although there are plenty on every street.
We have mixed feelings about the Concierges there. Some days they were happy, cheerful and helpful and other days they were just indifferent to you. It depended who was on duty.
So apart from a few niggles, we enjoyed our stay here, and the location is great, but would probably try somewhere else if we return to San Francisco.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret D
Dear Margaret,

We appreciated reading your 4 star review of Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. So glad that you liked our staff, your room and our outdoor fire pits. They certainly are a nice place to enjoy a glass of wine and relax a bit.

We hope that you will return.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Not impressed, very expensive, over $300 per night and a very ordinary room, and less than ordinary hotel. Great location near Fisherman's Warf and surrounding area earns this the second bullet on the rating, but this is more like a high end motel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank yorikiri_from_nyc
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear yorikiri,

We appreciate the feedback and are sorry that you did not perceive value here. Our facility was completely updated a short time ago. The look is a bit retro which some like and some don't. We do have try to keep our hotel in top condition.

Michae Hirsch

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2013

First the good points -
The location of this hotel is great! One block off Fisherman's Wharf with a small mall of shops right across the street if you need something quick. There are individuals fire pits with seating areas outside which are cool. You can sit, have a smoke and/or a drink and people watch. It's very inviting. Problem is there are many homeless people in SF and this is a nice warm area to sit awhile and take snooze. The management needs to better patrol this area so that doesn't happen. The room size was fine and the bed was quite comfortable. They have an outdoor heated pool, hot tub and an indoor fitness room.
Now the bad points -
The room key cards suck! I traveled with my husband and 2 girlfriends. I went thru 6 keycards and my girlfriend went thru 7 for their room. I would get back to the hotel try to get in my room to find out the card didn't work. Go back down to the lobby, get a new card programmed, try to get on the elevator to find out the new card didn't work! It got pretty frustrating. There isn't really a restaurant in this hotel. There is a Starbucks and you can get a sandwich, salad and/or soup. There is only a breakfast buffet, to the tune of $24.99. I can't eat that much food. It has the smallest bathroom and most narrow tub I think I've ever seen. The people working at the Starbucks counter had NO personality and were border line rude. The front desk staff wasn't much better.
Again, the location may be fantastic but I won't be staying there again.
Finally, I know most hotels in large cities do this, but it ticks me off to pay $169.00 for a room and then have to pay an additional $46.00 per day for valet parking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Mary Catherine,

Although we were happy to read that you enjoyed our location, the fire pits and pool, we regret that you found some elements of your experience lacking. Please accept our apologies and assurances that this will be addressed.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 22, 2013

First of all, the location of this hotel is fantastic. You can easily walk to and from Fisherman's Wharf and it's right next to a grocery store if you want to pick up a bottle of wine to drink in your room. I have three main complaints about the hotel that would prevent me from staying there again. First of all, the bathroom is extremely narrow. I am 7 months pregnant and with my bump I had to do some interesting maneuvers in the bathroom to get the door closed. The shower is also very narrow so I had to stand sideways so as to not have my elbows hit the wall (which resulted in either my belly hitting the wall or pushing the shower curtain outwards). The rest of the room was quite spacious though. My more concerning criticism has to do with getting a taxi from the hotel. In the evening I asked the concierge what time I should get a taxi to the Moscone Center in order to arrive at a certain time the next day and whether I needed to pre-arrange this. I was told to come down to the lobby 30 minutes before I wanted to be at the Moscone Center and they would get a taxi for me at that time. So, the next morning I came down at 7:06 am. There was no valet or bell-hop outside so I asked a man standing at the concierge desk if I could get a taxi to the Moscone Center. Based on how he was dressed I'm not sure if he was a concierge desk person or a manager. He informed me that his bell-hop had not yet arrived so escorted me outside and pointed to a taxi stand around the corner where there was at least one taxi. I found it odd that a hotel employee would send a visibly pregnant woman down the street rather than trying to flag a cab to pull in front of the hotel, but whatever...I can handle it. So, I walk to the taxi stand where unfortunately the visible taxi from the hotel had just been taken and there were no others in sight after waiting a few minutes. I walk back to the hotel and inform the person behind the concierge desk. He then asks me if I have a cell phone to which I respond "yes" and then he starts giving me the number for a cab service. I found that very strange...I have NEVER been asked to call my own cab from a hotel (not even from cheap 2 star hotels). I start to dial and then then bell-hop arrives so I stop and he immediately went outside and was able to flag down a taxi relatively quickly. I found the entire interaction quite awkward and expect better service from a Sheraton. Lastly, the gentleman at the counter at the wine/coffee bar in the lobby was a bit surly and made me feel unwelcome. On the brighter side the housekeeper we met was very pleasant and friendly, but that unfortunately didn't make up for the other gaps in service. There are other similarly-priced options in the area that I would try next time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Kateroni,

Thanks for sharing your experience here. You are absolutely correct - getting a cab should not be such an ordeal. We do it everyday and will certainly take steps to correct this misstep.

We regret the shortcoming and hope that you will accecpt our apologies. We also hope that you will forgive us and consider a return trip. Maybe with the newest member of the family?

NY
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights in July during July 4th. It was very hard to find parking even in our own hotel parking lot. The entrance to this place was very hard to find and getting around the block during this holiday was insane.. and July 4th wasn't even on a weekend!

The room was adequate with adjoining doors, however the coffee maker was an issue for both rooms and the room keys sporadically worked. We had to go down to the lobby multiple times for it to work. At night, there was this ridiculous noise that sounded like construction and i had a hard time sleeping. I called down to the front desk, but there wasn't much they could do for me. I got so crazy at one point i almost went out a window to see what the issue was.. it might've been some machine/fan/generator thing, but it was annoying!!

The stay was fine but i might stay clear of this whole area to stay in during a holiday like July 4 if you don't like being around a ridiculous amount of people. Nice area though and location to pier 39.

Room Tip: try to get one in the middle of the building and not on the edges where this generator thing that so...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Michael H, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear sleepiebabie,

Fisherman's Wharf is indeed a busy section of town due, for the most part, to the many, many things there are to do and see. Where people choose this area precisely for that reason, we can understand that it may seem crazy to some at times.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you return - maybe not on July 4 next time!